What's new

Single Malt Christmas Present

This time of year, you should be able to find gift sets of many popular brands that include a couple glasses with the bottle. By not spending money on glasses you'd have enough left over for a second bottle.

+1 to skipping the Whisky Stones. They're novel, and a nice way to cool the spirit without watering it down, but for a beginner I think they're completely unnecessary. The Glencairn glasses are a GREAT idea though, and will truly be a gift that he'll appreciate for years.

As for the single malt itself, I think the advice you've gotten so far is very sound. Where do you live? Here in Boston there are some fantastic liquor stores that really know their Scotch Whisky. I suggest you find out where the ones are near you (or more importantly, you friend's BF if you don't live near them) and talk to the manager about this. That way, your friend can get a good recommendation from you on where to go to get the next bottle, where he can talk with someone about what he liked, and didn't like.

If you can swing it, 2 (or more) completely different Whiskys might be a good idea too, to give the guy a little experience in the different styles. Some times you can find "sampler" packs that fit the bill. Again, a knowledgeable Spirit Monger will be very useful in this regard. Best of luck, and Sláinte!

Well I'm going to check out the liquor stores in Calgary when I visit my friend next weekend and well shop around see what we can find. Gift sets usually aren't out until December... they are the last vestage of sanity for stores not getting too christmas-y too early. Depending on what we find and what her budget is we should be able to be good to go while I'm down there. I also found a Canadian website that gives deals on Glencairn glasses on the more you buy so I think I'll pick some up for some of my own christmas presents as well.

the Balvenie doublewood shouldn't be too much mrore than the Glenlivet.... should def be less than $60/bottle, probably less than $50! - tho it's been a while since I bought one, and there are several offerings from The Balvenie to boot.

Bought some Balvenie Doublewood today to try. $57 a bottle

Yeah Canada is the land of fresh air, open spaces, and many taxes, booze is always more expensive here.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Yeah Canada is the land of fresh air, open spaces, and many taxes, booze is always more expensive here.

Compared to BC, you guys in Alberta have it easy. You are looking at $20--$50 more per bottle for single malts.

No, I'm stuck out in the flat lands with people that can't drive, don't understand why mountains are awesome, and look at me funny when I say I rather be on the correct side of the rockies.... I'd pay more for booze to be back home.

Bought some Balvenie Doublewood today to try. $57 a bottle

now that sounds more like it!!! it's phenomenal!!

we are closely catching up to you hosers in taxes, alas we won't get the services you get as we're too busy policing the world, you know, to make it safe for democra...I mean...for corporate interests. sigh.

(oops borderline politics there, sorry!)

pass the scotch please.

I say drop the glasses and scotch rocks and go for a bottle of Fiddich and Highland Park.

Someone new to scotch might prefer to water or cube their pours in the beginning.

I'm not a fanatic over scotch, and cannot drink Laphroaig, but the Balvenie Doublewood is special and a great place to start. Part of the aging is in Port barrels so it's a little sweeter.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
we are closely catching up to you hosers in taxes, alas we won't get the services you get as we're too busy policing the world, you know, to make it safe for democra...I mean...for corporate interests. sigh.

(oops borderline politics there, sorry!)

pass the scotch please.

Fortunately, about a decade ago, "the deficit" was a major issue in Canadian politics, with most people and politicians agreeing on the "we can't keep spending ourselves into fiscal oblivion" and all that. There was significant political will to 'fix' that, and we dealt with the issue ... back during days of prosperity when you could afford to do so without ruining the economy.

The picture here isn't so rosy today, of course, as the recession hit us too ... but nobody's talking about "fiscal cliffs" ... :ohmy:

Fortunately, about a decade ago, "the deficit" was a major issue in Canadian politics, with most people and politicians agreeing on the "we can't keep spending ourselves into fiscal oblivion" and all that. There was significant political will to 'fix' that, and we dealt with the issue ... back during days of prosperity when you could afford to do so without ruining the economy.

The picture here isn't so rosy today, of course, as the recession hit us too ... but nobody's talking about "fiscal cliffs" ... :ohmy:

Well if anything the BC Liberals and the Federal Conservatives make me drink more... I'm going to attempt to go to a good store in town to see what options I can find, then hit up the cabela's after that, then maybe watch a movie in the VIP 18+ theatre!

Top Bottom