What's new

Single Malt Christmas Present

I'm going to second the suggestion for Oban 14. I'll explain why (in my personal opinion)

Let's face it, there are a lot of "manly" spirits out there, including bourbon, rye, cognac, etc. What makes scotch, particularly single malt scotch, unique is that ruggedness lacking in the other spirits. I like a nice XO cognac. I enjoy a fine bourbon. But when I want a single malt scotch, well, I go for a real single malt scotch. Personally, I prefer the laphroigs, lagavulins, and taliskers out there, which are big, peaty, and smokey. Granted, thats not everyones taste, even among the single malt fans.

To me, Oban captures that rockiness, that rugged character of single malt scotch, without being too off-putting for the first timer. You know when you're drinking it that this is no irish whisky. This is no blended spirit. This is single malt scotch.

Is a well aged Macallen better? It's smoother, and if given the chance I'd take it over Oban. But just because I love a nice filet, doesn't mean I don't equally enjoy a good burger.

YMMV and all that

Balvenie 12 year double wood. Leave the whisky rocks, take the glencairn glasses. While enjoying scotch is always a YMMV thing, I can tell you that the folks at the Balvenie distillery (owned by Glenfiddich) recommend drinking neat with just a splash of water to open up the bouquet. This was their recommendation when I toured the distillery in '07. I find that they are correct...the ice cubes not only wind up watering down the whisky, but make the drink so cold that you lose some of the intended notes the distillers built in to the drink as the cold anesthetizes your palate. YMMV.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Well if anything the BC Liberals and the Federal Conservatives make me drink more... I'm going to attempt to go to a good store in town to see what options I can find, then hit up the cabela's after that, then maybe watch a movie in the VIP 18+ theatre!

LOL ... the only thing worse than the present government is the one that's going to replace it.

The Superstore booze-box usually has a pretty good price/selection in my experience. If there's somewhere reliably better ... let me know for my next trip east of the Rockies!

I'd stay away from the Islays for starting out. It's generally an acquired taste. When I visitted the Laphroaig distillery, I tried and loved their 18 year, which at that time was unavaillable here. My daughter was determined to try it against my advice and I had to stop her from spitting it out. I haven't been able to get her to try scotch since.

I'd go with a decent Speyside like the McAllen 12, one of the Abelours or Glenmorangies. You can try Glenlivet or Glenfiddich, but I find them thin in the shorter aged versions and the longer aged versions possibly a bit expensive.

A different choice might be Mortloch, but I'm not sure it's readily availlable.

Redbreast. It has like a 98 point rating and several whiskey of the year awards, it's darn good for the price, and incredible for the age.

Gotta agree with tda on the speyside too. I think the Glendullan/ Singleton is a good start, very mild flavor lots of subtle fruit notes good with a little water. "Glen" anything is probably going to be pretty mild.

Last edited:
Redbreast. It has like a 98 point rating and several whiskey of the year awards, it's darn good for the price, and incredible for the age.

Redbreast is an Irish whiskey and would not be representative of any style scotch I have ever had, IMO, as I find it far too sweet. I'm far from an authority, though. YMMV.

Top Bottom