What's new

Single Edge vs. Double Edge

I am a recent convert to double edge razors about 2 years ago. Since that time I am completely sold on them and love the shaves I'm getting from them. Far superior to my Mach 3 cart I used for decades. And I have a nice and still growing collection of 25 double edge razors. However, I have never shaved with a single edge razor. So I'm looking to know what the difference is in the shave with a single edge razor versus a double edge might be, if there is one. Since being thrown out of the 2018 sabbatical so early, I'm looking for more ways to spend silly amounts of money on shaving. But first I have to hear how some of you fine gentlemen would describe as the differences. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Using a Rapide to scrape stickers off your windshield is a waste of a perfectly good Rapide! For shaving it never bites, you'd have to try hard to get even a weeper. Combined with the GEM PTFE coated blade it's one of the best razors out there from any era. It only looks viscious.

A single edge razor uses a stiffer, thicker blade that won't bend--similar to a straight razor. That eliminates the flexing and chattering that sometimes affects DE razors. In addition, shaving-quality single edge blades (make sure that you don't get the box-cutter or paint scraper blades) have the edge ground on at least two bevels, sometimes three. We feel that that construction gives a sharper edge that will last longer than a double edge--of course, YMMV.

SE razors have very little cap on top of the blade, which allows an extremely shallow blade angle to the skin. For me, that means that the shaves are very comfortable because the blade is slicing the whiskers, rather than scraping them. My own personal opinion is that Injector razors are the best of the single-edged category because, in addition to the points already mentioned, they tend to be smaller, lighter, and more maneuverable which allows easy access to those hard-to-reach spots such as under the nose, around the curve of the jaw, and underneath the chin. Injector blades also tend to last much, much longer than DE blades or the GEM-type SE blades.

I also have many excellent DE razors which I enjoy using, but my overall preference is for Injectors, followed by the GEM-type SEs.

Using a Rapide to scrape stickers off your windshield is a waste of a perfectly good Rapide! For shaving it never bites, you'd have to try hard to get even a weeper. Combined with the GEM PTFE coated blade it's one of the best razors out there from any era. It only looks viscious.

As a new Wotan/Rapide convert, it could easily become my full time razor but my other razors would feel abandoned;)
I would gladly take a paint scraper off someone's hands!

Well, Mountain Man, I have never shaved with a GEM or an injector. But I can say that the safety razors that take Artists' Club style SE blades (aka 'straight razor on a stick') are superior in most respects to DE razors and blades in my experience. The blades are thicker and stiffer, and the edges are, on average, sharper and longer-lasting. There are now some fine safety razors that don't cost an arm and a leg that take these blades. The blades are relatively expensive, but they tend to last.

See here, perhaps.

Thanks to those of you who have already chimed in. I will say that single edge razors do look more like "contraptions" than razors. But the Schick Injectors are actually pretty nice looking implements. I don't know if I'm ready to dip my toe into this pond yet though. I have one straight edge razor, a Gold Dollar that was honed by a B&B member that I have only used twice, albeit at least 9 months ago if not longer. I think I'll pick that back up and give it another go. I see that as a real challenge to learn how to use it properly so I can get a nice shave from it. I'll leave it for the weekends when I have more time. I hope you don't think I wasted your time with posing the question. I've been curious about single edge razors for a while so you've helped me get a better sense of them. I thank you.

Hey! With all due respect, these are not 'contraptions'.

Mongoose.jpg

SE1.jpg

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Am I correct in my thinking that You Like Vintage stuff ?
I Started with Vintage DEs and after awhile I too was Curious about SEs.
It is true that the Vintage Gems and Ever-Ready's do give You a Fine shave
and I strayed for a little while and I even thought about The new SE artist club Razors
But I came back to My DEs . The SE experiences was Fun and I still use a Few in My Rotation
But There is Nothing (in my mind ) Like a Vintage Gillette .

Am I correct in my thinking that You Like Vintage stuff ?
I Started with Vintage DEs and after awhile I too was Curious about SEs.
It is true that the Vintage Gems and Ever-Ready's do give You a Fine shave
and I strayed for a little while and I even thought about The new SE artist club Razors
But I came back to My DEs . The SE experiences was Fun and I still use a Few in My Rotation
But There is Nothing (in my mind ) Like a Vintage Gillette .

Yes. You are correct. Of my 25 razors, I'd say 20 of them are vintage. Techs. NEWs. New Improveds. Old Types. Single Rings. Slim Adjustables. Superspeeds. In fact my favorite razor right now is a vintage Old Type head on a new Ikon Bulldog handle. Best of both worlds.

The main advantage I see that the SE has over the DE is the "artist club" blade type. Most guys here agree that the artist club blades are the sharpest blades on earth. But yes you can get a very satisfying shave with a DE also.
I love my Fatip.

Yes. You are correct. Of my 25 razors, I'd say 20 of them are vintage. Techs. NEWs. New Improveds. Old Types. Single Rings. Slim Adjustables. Superspeeds. In fact my favorite razor right now is a vintage Old Type head on a new Ikon Bulldog handle. Best of both worlds.

Judging by what you have tried I would recommend spending around $10, and try the GEM microchromatic. I still prefer my many vintage Gillette’s, but I found the Gem gave a very good shave and kept it. I still stick to DE as my favorite though.

Judging by what you have tried I would recommend spending around $10, and try the GEM microchromatic. I still prefer my many vintage Gillette’s, but I found the Gem gave a very good shave and kept it. I still stick to DE as my favorite though.

Yes, get a 1912, or MMOC, and you might sell off all of your DE razors. Always use GEM stainless blades.

As somebody who has recently branched out from DE into SE razors, I would recommend trying a Schick injector. They're easy to handle for somebody used to employing a DE razor, yet give a significantly different shaving experience and very good results. They're also inexpensive, and unlikely to inflict too much damage on the user.

Yes, get a 1912, or MMOC, and you might sell off all of your DE razors. Always use GEM stainless blades.

My first shave with one years ago was my first Zero irritation shave, only a few months into my wet shaving journey. I tried other SEs but find the only one I cared for was the micro. Now I have a Nirvana DE collection and every shave is great.

Haven't used mine in long time. Thanks for the reminder might pull her into the rotation this week.

Top Bottom