What's new

single edge vs double edge - change in trend?

Im a terrible procrastinator. I gave up on DE razors for two reasons, the ER Streamline and the PTFE. One razor, one blade, perfect shaves for the rest of my life.

I'll still keep my favorite razors (Aristocrat #'s 21 & 16) and will also keep an MMOC for use from time to time, and for my shaves where I need to be fast and not think too hard, my Schick Eversharp I - but its so nice for me not to have to chose from dozens of blades.

The only SE razors I tried were a few injectors. I noticed no advantage or better shave than with DE and I got more nicks with them. It didn't help that there are only 2 brands of injector blades available.
As far as artist club razors, they don't seem to be catching on like DE. I notice new DE razors coming out at different price points every month or two. New SE razors aren't coming out as often and frequently don't remain in stock for long. The only lower cost one I've seen still available is the Razorock Hawk. Others from Above the Tie or Blackland are expensive and ones from Mongoose, Colonial razors or Ikon don't look to be made anymore.

Last edited:
I'll break this down with my opinion and experience.

DEs are more popular not necessarily because they are better, but because they are the standard. GEMs had their time in the spotlight, but it was always to a lesser degree than DEs. When most of us think of our dads or grandfathers shaving I can guarantee that you can picture him holding a DE razor. When someone wants to jump into wet shaving, the most popular tool is the obvious place to start. So in a way, DEs are popular because they're popular.

GEMs suffer and benefit from lack of blade choice. In my opinion, the Personna PTFE GEM blade is the only good option for these razors. That can be wonderful if that blade works out for you because you never have to think about it again. But if the blade doesn't work well with your beard/skin, you're SOL. Also, for tinkerers GEMs can be a bummer because there isn't much playing around with blade choice to dial in a specific shave.

ACSEs aren't as popular as DEs because they're new. The first AC non-shavette razor was only brought to market around 5-8 years ago (someone correct me, please). So there's no vintage razors, no memories of days past, and no momentum driving a new shaver to this choice. To get into ACSE razors you have to want to try them specifically. And, because DEs are most popular, it's a PITA to have to load up on multiple blades choices so most people just stick with what they know. AC blades are also pretty confusing. I get a lot of calls from customers trying to figure out how the AC blades work, what guards do, and why they all have such stupid names (I'm talking to you, Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch Mg).

Side note: Every once in a while I see some silly comment that says that SE razors are just blade holders so it's easy to design, unlike DEs. I can confirm that SEs take the same effort and consideration to design as DEs. So either both are really easy to make or both are hard, but there isn't a discernible difference either way. By the way, all razors are just blade holders.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Believe me when I say I could be perfectly content shaving with a vintage injector SE and Schick blades every day...
I can actually say that! :tongue_sm In fact, I no longer own a DE at all.

Personna/Pella blades last me two weeks, while I can go a month of daily shaves with a Schick.

As far as I know, there’s only two choices in DE blade geometry: KAI, and everything else. The KAIs are wider, so they provide more exposure and probably a very slight gap change in most razor.

Yes, the edge properties are all over the map. I’m only referring to the basic geometry.

With AC blades, just about every blade out there is going to provide a different combination of exposure and gap. Of course, that’s <ahem> a “double-edged sword”. It provides some easy tuning options, but certainly adds to the confusion.

Im sold on SE over DE. But Ill have both around for variety. SE blades are superior for my face and prefer the blade rigidity from them and SE razors.

I suspect SEs are going to take off soon.
You may be right.
My mom gave me her Lady Eversharp, and I've only recently started putting in in rotation among my DEs.

Also this Frankenjector:
It may be just my imagination, but it seems like the first WTG pass with a Schick injector gives closer results than a WTG first pass with a DE.
I used to just ignore injectors at flea markets and such, but now I'm going to actively seek them out.
Also, I wouldn't be surprised if people coming off of disposables and and carts adopt Shicks because they handle (shape, weight, and balance) in a similar way.

I don't think SE will grow faster because of new razors. I agree that people look at the vintage razors and how popular they were. They decide to buy new or vintage after. Also, it's easier to find cheap DE's in stores. That said, the Schick Injector is beginning to blow me away. I don't need to think as much as it quickly mows down my stubble.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
When someone wants to jump into wet shaving, the most popular tool is the obvious place to start. So in a way, DEs are popular because they're popular.

You've got some serious street cred for that opinion, for sure! I agree; even growing up in a family where Dad and my older brother and eventually I all shaved with some kind of electric, Mom shaved her legs with an old DE. I assume that was a Gillette, but I was never interested in "stone age technology" at that age. What I'd give to be able to go back to the cabinet over the toilet in the old house and find that razor! Probably I'd ask Mom to cook up a fried chicken dinner while I was there. :001_rolle If it survived long enough to go in the estate sale in 2010, that's where it went.

I started with a DE because "everybody starts with a DE." Then I tried a slant and liked it better. Then I picked up several Gem razors for pretty cheap, bought a new razor that uses Gems, then another one. Now I'm toying with the idea of picking up an AC just to see what it's like.

The thing I like is that there are a lot of choices, even in areas where we don't think there's a lot of choice! Just in the SE side there's half-DE blades, AC, Gem, Schick...and razors from one to three blades for those who want more. (I'm on the fence about that half-DE thing. Seems conceptually weird to me, you could just shave with one side of a DE and get the same effect, but maybe I'll try one just for grins...)

I'm having fun trying different styles. I'm not per se a "collector" and I'll likely PIF or sell the ones that don't "inspire BBS" for me once I've found one or two that really work. Except for my Damaskeene -- even if it's a little mild I'll hang onto it.

But I'm not a collector...

O.H.

I'm finding little difference in the quality of my shaves between me DE razors and my SE razor. I've been going back and forth between the two for the last four days.

For my DEs;
Rockwell 6S
WTG R6
XTG R5
\TG R4

or for travel;
Muehle R41/R89 (I just change the head)
WTG R41
XTG R41/R89 depending how I feel/uses of blade
\TG R89

For my SE;
Blackland Sabre
WTG L2
XTG L2/L1 depending how I feel/uses of blade
\TG L1

For me I think the ability to lower the aggressiveness after each pass is key to getting a DFS. If it wasn't for the different L plates from Blackland I don't think I'd ever use a SE. WTG and XTG is fine if you have an aggressive set up, but my \TG pass I need something to help smooth things out.

SEs are never going to become more popular than DEs, principally because of the wide variety of DE blades that are available. People who tinker with traditional wet shaving also like to tinker with blades, and they enjoy trying out a crap ton of them and figuring out which one works best. Also there are a wide variety of DE razors that vary from ridiculously mild (negative blade exposure and small or no gaps) to ridiculously aggressive.

GEM razors are nice and I like the GEM PTFE blade, but not everyone does. The fact that the blade is wide from top to cutting edge is also unappealing for a lot of guys because of perceived trouble in tight spots like the mustache area. Also there is a perception that two edges have to be better than one.

AC razors lack historical appeal. The variety of blades is better, but not great. People who are used to DEs or GEMs may not like the width of the AC blade. The other problem with AC razors is that they are terribly efficient and, with a bit of practice, really easy to use, which makes them (to some shavers) less interesting.

Finally, injectors shave great but once again are too routine, too easy, and lack blade variety. Also, a lot of people dislike the loading mechanism and the fact that most injectors can't be cleaned properly and/or can't have the blade completely removed for cleaning before a new blade is inserted.

For the record, I shave with straight razors, AC razors, SE razors, and DE razors and I love them all. But I think it's a bit foolish to believe that the shaving world in general is going to migrate to the SE side over DEs. Just my opinion; I could be wrong.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SEs are never going to become more popular than DEs, principally because of the wide variety of DE blades that are available. People who tinker with traditional wet shaving also like to tinker with blades, and they enjoy trying out a crap ton of them and figuring out which one works best. Also there are a wide variety of DE razors that vary from ridiculously mild (negative blade exposure and small or no gaps) to ridiculously aggressive.

GEM razors are nice and I like the GEM PTFE blade, but not everyone does. The fact that the blade is wide from top to cutting edge is also unappealing for a lot of guys because of perceived trouble in tight spots like the mustache area. Also there is a perception that two edges have to be better than one.

AC razors lack historical appeal. The variety of blades is better, but not great. People who are used to DEs or GEMs may not like the width of the AC blade. The other problem with AC razors is that they are terribly efficient and, with a bit of practice, really easy to use, which makes them (to some shavers) less interesting.

Finally, injectors shave great but once again are too routine, too easy, and lack blade variety. Also, a lot of people dislike the loading mechanism and the fact that most injectors can't be cleaned properly and/or can't have the blade completely removed for cleaning before a new blade is inserted.

For the record, I shave with straight razors, AC razors, SE razors, and DE razors and I love them all. But I think it's a bit foolish to believe that the shaving world in general is going to migrate to the SE side over DEs. Just my opinion; I could be wrong.
Fair assessment of the range of blades and blade holding systems, the vintage razors were made in the millions so when you get bored with one onto the next to make it pleasurable IMO. It is getting very hard to find the certain brand models and that is very enjoyable for me at this moment in my razor history quest, it's amazing the little things you notice about certain models and characteristics of handling. One thing we do know that large Razor blade MFG's went through tough times and some how the BRAND survived and Gillette, GEM and Schick have over 100 yrs of blade making know how.
Haves some great shaves!

To be frank, if I had bought a vintage Schick injector before a DE safety razor I probably would have never tried DE razors. The injector is simply a better "mousetrap" and it is far easier to transition from ctg./disposable razors to SE injectors than to DE. Lay the head flat and off you go!! If Schick had had the advertising budget that Gillette had their roles would be reversed today IMO. As a matter of fact, I think it'd be smart for Schick to bring back the injector today. They have nothing to lose and only market share to gain.

I started out shaving with injectors 50+ years ago, so returning to them via a Supply razor was less novelty and more nostalgia - my father also used injectors (hence my introduction to shaving via injector razors). Many years ago I switched to DE's although I can't say why. Between the Supply and a RazoRock Black Hawk I find that I get closer, more comfortable shaves with my SE's. I still enjoy my Game Changer, but my regular 2 pass shave with it isn't as close as with the SE's. Some have speculated that the blade itself, specifically the rigidity, accounts for the difference. If that is so, why can't a DE blade be made more rigid? At first I assumed it was size related, since both injectors and AC blades are very narrow (front to back). But though I haven't used them, GEM blades also seem to be quite rigid - maybe because of the spine - while also being wide. Would a thicker DE blade produce a better shave?

I started out shaving with injectors 50+ years ago, so returning to them via a Supply razor was less novelty and more nostalgia - my father also used injectors (hence my introduction to shaving via injector razors). Many years ago I switched to DE's although I can't say why. Between the Supply and a RazoRock Black Hawk I find that I get closer, more comfortable shaves with my SE's. I still enjoy my Game Changer, but my regular 2 pass shave with it isn't as close as with the SE's. Some have speculated that the blade itself, specifically the rigidity, accounts for the difference. If that is so, why can't a DE blade be made more rigid? At first I assumed it was size related, since both injectors and AC blades are very narrow (front to back). But though I haven't used them, GEM blades also seem to be quite rigid - maybe because of the spine - while also being wide. Would a thicker DE blade produce a better shave?

Remember that yes they are thicker, but today's SE blades have benefited from the same edge hardening/coating technology that DE blades have. The old pre-1960's injector blades were a rough go from what I have read.

it seems like fewer people used SE compared to DE but given the new releases, i.e. Paradigm and Vector - both excellent razors, designed to be used daily, - do you think more people would come over to the SE side?

I know this is a rather personal preference -what gives a better smoother shave at the end of the day with all things being equal - DE or SE?
In the last few months, I started collecting GEM SE Razors. If I had to pick between my favorite high-end modern razors and a GEM Razor, I would choose the GEM every time. I tried the PAA Starling and it shaves nothing like a good ole GEM, it tore me up because the angle is so different. Nobody should even compare it to a good old GEM.

In the german community, lots of people go crazy for the newer SEs. Best shaves they ever had and so forth. Personally, I think my DEs with my technique give me the same bbs shaves, so why should I switch to yet another blade system. I am happy with DE and just (after years) found out what my preferences are..

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I agree that technique is more important than blade format or razor design. But also, for me, the AC blades are just generally better and longer lasting than DE.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
In the last few months, I started collecting GEM SE Razors. If I had to pick between my favorite high-end modern razors and a GEM Razor, I would choose the GEM every time. I tried the PAA Starling and it shaves nothing like a good ole GEM, it tore me up because the angle is so different. Nobody should even compare it to a good old GEM.
Hello Jill, yes the Gem razors offer some of the finest shaves money can buy when you have dialed in technique and put in a GEM SS PTFE blade is sure hard to beat with any other blade systems. I have a nice collection of GEMS and just purchased some rare ones to add to my nice user grade GEMS.

In the german community, lots of people go crazy for the newer SEs. Best shaves they ever had and so forth. Personally, I think my DEs with my technique give me the same bbs shaves, so why should I switch to yet another blade system. I am happy with DE and just (after years) found out what my preferences are..

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Das macht Sinn.

Gesendet von einem Münztelefon in einem mexikanischen Puff

Top Bottom