What's new

Single edge stropper?

I think it's a single edge blade stropper - Do you think it's for shaving?
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I got this in a lot and I haven't cleaned it yet, mainly because I'm not really sure what to do with it.

Looks more like a prison shank. :w00t: No really, I have no idea what it is, but would clean it up a lot and be very careful if you try it.

I don't know that I'll shave with it, though it does kind of look like a shavette. I'm just curious if anyone really knows what it is.
In a Japanese sort of way. Maybe its a vintage box cutter? It would work well in the kitchen slicing small things like garlic.

You're right! It does sort of look like some sort of prison shank! Did you buy it off an ex-con, Rob? :eek:

In theory you should be able to shave with it, but if you do try, do be careful.

Not sure what it is but it certainly looks like it would work for a SE blade stropper, I'd clean it up and give it a go.

I actually just went at it with some scrubbing bubbles and barkeepers friend and most of the rust came off... I ran a q-tip down the shaft and you don't want to know what it looked like.
This is one might just go in the curiosities pile.

I actually just went at it with some scrubbing bubbles and barkeepers friend and most of the rust came off... I ran a q-tip down the shaft and you don't want to know what it looked like.
This is one might just go in the curiosities pile.

Gross enough to scare even the most manly of men, eh? :lol:

If there is any play whatsoever in the mechanism when it is closed, then don't shave with it! It will cut you when it wiggles.

I don't think that was meant for shaving.♦

I'll post a clean pic tomorrow...
There is no play in the blade, but truly I never intended to shave with it. I don't think I worded my original post very well. I think it's a stropper but I wanted to know if anyone thought that perhaps it was meant for shaving. The mechanism which secures the blade is actually similar to that of a shavette. I doubt it's a box cutter, because there's no way to cover the razor edge when it's not in use.

I vote stropper.

I just bought a Star lather catcher and it has a similar fitting that pushes into the razor handle and holds the wedge blade for stropping it.

- Chris

If it doesn't move when stropping, then it doesn't move when shaving :thumbup:.

I say try shaving with it while you're at it, but go slowly, start on your cheeks, and at the first sign of trouble take a hint and stop. That's what I would consider doing at least.

looks like a box cutter. doubtful its a stropper.

Yours is the opinion I trust the most in matters of obscure old razors - but I just don't think this was meant as a box cutter - I've seen pics of old box cutters and they typically used the razor blades with the trapezoid shape like we use still today.
I don't see any manufacterer's name or mark on this and I guess there's no definitive answer unless someone comes across a similar item with a known use.
Here's some pics of the cleaned thingy (not perfect, but better):
proxy.php

proxy.php

thanks for all your help!

Top Bottom