What's new

Single Edge SEptember 2021

Razor: GEM Feather Weight Deluxe
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE (9)
Brush: Yaqi - Mountain Lake (Caravel Arctic)
Pre-Shave: Stirling Pink Clay - Facial Bar Soap
Lather: Ethos - Peppermint
Aftershave: Ethos - Peppermint Splash

6CE5E3FC-409A-4C59-A6BA-3B066A36B79F.jpeg

Shave Rating: 10/10+
Textbook shave
There’s not much I can say about today’s shave. It was about as perfect as a shave can be. The GEM blade on its ninth shave still feels like it’s on it’s first in this Feather Weight.

SEptember 18 (16th SE ShavE)
EVER-READY 1914 loaded with a GEM PTFE blade quickly removed the CRS Sublime Citrus and all of my whiskers. Lathering with my Omega 10049 Boar is great, the brush is really coming into its own. AV Ice Blue finish, smooth, comfy, and smell great…excellent shave.
A27F42AB-8B03-46A3-B43D-987329AAAD17.jpeg
55AEEA45-9319-49E8-8D27-949A6E5F1710.jpeg
03BEE0B3-42FA-40EA-AF3F-D7E3B797DFA9.jpeg

Gem 1912
Gem PTFE (7)
Vie Long horse
Palmolive Shave Stick
Dove Men+Care Sensitive Post Shave Balm
D3874A54-7291-48E5-B881-DE4F574F41AC.jpeg

I was wondering if the blade was giving out and I believe so. I've never gotten the longevity from Gems that I've gotten from injector or DE blades. Despite extra prep, the shave was uncomfortable, and I didn't want to do more than two passes. It doesn't help that the Gem is low on the list of razors I enjoy shaving with, so it doesn't see a lot of action. Technique (or lack of it with the 1912) could be a factor. But I will use it my next shave, with a new blade, to compare.

A question for you Gem experts. I didn't doubt that it was a Gem 1912 when I bought this razor, one of my first "online" razor purchases. But I haven't seen a picture of a Gem with the type of handle that I have. Could I have a FrankenGem, with a handle from another razor Mfg?
A5AFBDA4-DC55-45A6-BE90-57B8AD3E3D12.jpeg

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Gem 1912
Gem PTFE (7)
Vie Long horse
Palmolive Shave Stick
View attachment 1330415
I was wondering if the blade was giving out and I believe so. I've never gotten the longevity from Gems that I've gotten from injector or DE blades. Despite extra prep, the shave was uncomfortable, and I didn't want to do more than two passes. It doesn't help that the Gem is low on the list of razors I enjoy shaving with, so it doesn't see a lot of action. Technique (or lack of it with the 1912) could be a factor. But I will use it my next shave, with a new blade, to compare.

A question for you Gem experts. I didn't doubt that it was a Gem 1912 when I bought this razor, one of my first "online" razor purchases. But I haven't seen a picture of a Gem with the type of handle that I have. Could I have a FrankenGem, with a handle from another razor Mfg?
View attachment 1330416
I have seen lots of Gem & ASR 1912 SE razors and have not seen that handle yet. It could of been built by a Machinist for a special person or gifted.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
shave 20210918_212045.jpg

Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB (Timeless Ti TRH8 Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (5)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Volcanic Ash Handle (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Vito's Extra Super Coco
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Old Spice Classic
hardware 20210918_212123.jpg

Superb razor! :cool:

Check out my Journal for shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

The beginning of my Schick week! Soap will be as shown, and razors and blades will be the various Schick injectors and blades. Brushes will be synthetic and typically 24mm, as those seem to make less mess with this soap. Canada Shaving Soap is very hard, but lathers very easily. It is also very generously filled, all the way to the rim of the tub, so messes/spill over are a given for me!

Today, the razor is a Hydro Magic, with a sChick blade (6). Brush is a Sorrentino with a 24mm Timberwolf knot.
20210918_222833.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sunday Schick Shave, SEptember 19th 2021

Razor: Schick Golden 500 injector+ hydro magic- Mfg 1957-64, excellent razor, tame mid range, light touch needed, Razor length 5 3/8" seems a little long but was meant for uni-sex shaving is my best guess.
Blade: Personna SS PTFE (1) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap: Cyril R Salter Indian Sandalwood, nice scent with excellent lather qualities, good price for the amount.
Brush: Yaqi New Viper 24mm boar :001_wub: , Excellent lather generator, soft split end hair tips, great scrubber + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Proraso red with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe balm( great stuff + has HA already mixed in)
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers =:a17:excellent shave with my Schick golden 500 with Hydro magic + a Personna coated blade.

SOTD,  Sep 19th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB (Timeless Ti TRH8 Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch MG (6)
Brush: Simpson Trafalgar T3
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Vito's Extra Super Coco
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Bootlegger's El Dorado
Fragrance: Lagerfeld Classic EdT Spray
20210919_114254~2.jpg

Check out my Journal for shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

Gem 1912
Gem PTFE (1)
Vie Long horse
Palmolive Shave Stick

PM shave with a day and half worth of growth. Same set up as yesterday, except a new blade. And what a difference. Pass and a half for a DFS. So the blade I used yesterday was spent after a week's use. I thought I could get at least ten shaves out of a Gem, but I may have been thinking about the Gem Stainless Steel blade.

Top Bottom