What's new

Single Edge SEptember 2021

I know. In part it's a reflection of how much I like my Alpha Outlaw DE, so I thought I'd reward Steve with my continuing support and give the format one last shot (he says). Now I like Shane's work too but the cost of entry for the Vector remains a little rich for me.

I'm disappointed the Alpha head is bulkier than the Hawk but I do like the shave but for the back of my head where it fails like all AC format designs have.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Unfortunately Proline won't fit. Aaaaaarggggh.
proxy.php

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I'd go with the Vector if I could figure out an angle or strategy to manage that back of the head issue with the wide AC blade.

Apparently I haven't been paying attention. What "back of the head issue" do you mean? I have a couple of AC razors along with other formats and use all of them for head shaving. The AC razors I've kept are all ones that do well shaving my head.

O.H.

Apparently I haven't been paying attention. What "back of the head issue" do you mean? I have a couple of AC razors along with other formats and use all of them for head shaving. The AC razors I've kept are all ones that do well shaving my head.

O.H.

To clarify I'm shaving MY head, I didn't mean to suggest anyone else had an issue.

Old Hippie

To clarify I'm shaving MY head, I didn't mean to suggest anyone else had an issue.

Totally get that. I'm not a shave coach nor do I play one on TV, but I can get a good head shave with an AC razor (and a DE, a Gem, a slant, 1/2 DE shavette and AC shavette). Just thought if I could offer some insight it might help. Or I might end up saying, "Darn. That's hard lines, Brother."

One way to find out. :)

O.H.

Totally get that. I'm not a shave coach nor do I play one on TV, but I can get a good head shave with an AC razor (and a DE, a Gem, a slant, 1/2 DE shavette and AC shavette). Just thought if I could offer some insight it might help. Or I might end up saying, "Darn. That's hard lines, Brother."

One way to find out. :)

O.H.

This area is much easier with a DE, injector , or Gem.
proxy.php

Reactions: ewk

Old Hippie

This area is much easier with a DE, injector , or Gem.

Oh, THAT spot. Heh. I hear ya. And yes, it is easier with a blade that doesn't have so much edge.

I usually put my chin down on my chest and even do some skin stretching when doing that spot. That (on my head) flattens out the area a little. This is one area where I find two WTG passes helpful before ATG. When going ATG a little stretching pulls the skin up on my skull to a point where it has some backing under it, thus easier to shave.

But that area IS one of my frustrations with AC blades. Mostly because I feel like all the shaving wear is happening in one tiny little spot as I go "over the curve." Once I have a dull spot in some part of the blade (usually dead centre) then it doesn't matter how sharp the rest of it is; time for the bin.

This is probably one reason why I like slants so much...

O.H.

Razor: Supply V2.0 Stainless matte black
Blade: Schick Injector
Brush: Simpson Emperor 3 Super Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Long Rifle Bay Rhum Shave Tonic
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
20210913_082842.jpg

SEptember 14th shave
The General and Proline, and 2 soaps used.
I have either a technique or lather issue, in that there seems to be some drag. Mike's Natural did the best. I don't remember drag before, so I need to look at the shave journal!

Other wise, a nice shave. I have also been enjoying Stirling Unscented after shave balm!

Oh, THAT spot. Heh. I hear ya. And yes, it is easier with a blade that doesn't have so much edge.

I usually put my chin down on my chest and even do some skin stretching when doing that spot. That (on my head) flattens out the area a little. This is one area where I find two WTG passes helpful before ATG. When going ATG a little stretching pulls the skin up on my skull to a point where it has some backing under it, thus easier to shave.

But that area IS one of my frustrations with AC blades. Mostly because I feel like all the shaving wear is happening in one tiny little spot as I go "over the curve." Once I have a dull spot in some part of the blade (usually dead centre) then it doesn't matter how sharp the rest of it is; time for the bin.

This is probably one reason why I like slants so much...

O.H.

YUP that spot. Here's the truth, the Feather AC blade was not designed for consumer use, it was designed for barbers who have a range of tools they expect to rely upon depending on what is optimum for what's being shaved. It's thus not surprising that the format isn't optimum in all circumstances in consumer hands, and in some cases substantially at disadvantage. The larger potential contact patch of the AC blade is only realized when the contour of the shaved surface allows for it (cheeks, side of the head for most folks), and there are areas where the wider blade simply gets in the way. As above. I'm in no particular hurry thus the theoretical time saved on my cheeks is vastly less significant than the frustration of not being able to easily get the razor to cut in spots where non AC razors have no difficulty.

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
SEptember shave 12

Ever-Ready 1912 / Generic carbon-steel blade (4)
Semogue boar brush
Soap Commander Integrity

Thus ends round 4. So far this razor consistently gives the best shaves of the three. I can’t discount blade variation so after one more round I’ll change blades and see if that makes a difference. I may try to go a few more shaves after that with the Ever-Ready.

BTW pre-shave is warm water, and post-shave is cold water. Strong scents irritate my nose so I’ve been using mostly scent free or light scent products.

Schick Adjustable, set to 3
Schick Injector blade (3)
Vie Long horse
Godrej shave round, face lathered
Adidas Dynamic Pulse after-shave

Two passes for a superb shave. Everything came together. One of the best performing cheap soaps out there, great razor/blade combo, and a splash that doesn't get a lot of praise--one with a noticeable alcohol burn (if you like that, which I do), a modern scent, and good face feel.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Last night’s shave
RazoRock Hawk V3OC
Schick Proline P-series (4)
Maggards 30mm synthetic brush
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
Pre-shave: face wash with PdP Milk bath soap
Pre-shave: hot shower
Pre-shave: refined shea butter
Lather: ARKO!
Post-shave: Face wash with shave binky
Aftershave: Ulm Nom

A runnier lather and the razor got much better. The refined shea seems to make a difference, but it’s very greasy and I’m not fond of the scent.

SEptember 15th (my 14th SE shave)
VITOS and my Paladin El Dorado stole the show. What incredible lather today: abundant, very slick, and I’m a big fan of the scent.
My MMOC & PTFE blade did their part with precision. However, the blade is definitely fading. It is not rougher but it is losing efficiency. I’ll palm strop tomorrow to see how it does. Great shave, think I might go VITOS Extra Super again tomorrow.
03234878-AB2D-4057-9B79-5F544F613465.jpeg
5A203202-26C1-4FB3-AAA3-1A321FB2C7C4.jpeg
2BDD5B42-D0FA-4B40-8663-979EF25BDA05.jpeg

Top Bottom