What's new

Single Edge SEptember 2021

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
That whole month is sandwiched in Fall. I suppose one could sever a nose for that month. Or trim one’s nostril hairs. Or switch to only Filarmonica Novodur razors (no Sub Cero till December!)

Count me in! Do Schick injector twin blades count? I just got a pack and will try them in a Type M.

I say yes. You are lucky to have them to use.

Blade choices consume me.
F64CD522-336B-418F-84CD-3F64B0C19D6E.jpeg

I say yes. You are lucky to have them to use.

Blade choices consume me.
View attachment 1320077

Nice collection! I would also be tied up trying to decide! The Twins cost me dearly. I had read about Japanese Schick injector blades, and found them on the 'Bay of course. While looking for best overall price (including shipping) I found a shop that had Twin blades. So then the hunt was on for a seller that had both. Found one, but even with a shipping discount for multiple items, shipping cost me as much as the blades!
20210827_133345.jpg

Schick Adjustable, set to 5
NOS Schick Platinum Plus (12)
Balea boar
Tabula Rasa, unscented, face lathered
Pinaud Citrus Musk

Two passes for CCS on a day and a half of growth. Ended up not going with the Micromatic and took the razor that was already on my sink, the Schick. The NOS Plat Plus is not my keenest blade, sadly, but I wanted its performance fresh in my mind before I shift to the Schick Chick injector blade. A dozen shaves, though less than stellar, is pretty good.
8BD2A5C0-F144-442C-A020-BADD8AEE6EF8.jpeg

SEptember 1, 2021
First shave of the new challenge.
Martin de Candre Rose lathered with a Paladin Samurai created the perfect medium for whisker removal. Not to be outdone, my GEM Junior/GEM PTFE blade smoothly did their part. Finished with the excellent Captain’s Choice Nor’Easter. An excellent BBS shave to start the SEptember Challenge.
F6EF2C50-60A1-4A3D-BB65-ED471886457C.jpeg
80C7A4B7-F7CF-4AF8-B1FB-F4BECE1A8FD4.jpeg
6F6D5A24-C989-457B-891B-828BEAA7EFF5.jpeg

20210831_080848.jpg

Razor: Razorock Eco
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum
Brush: Simpson Captain 2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
Aftershave: Maurer and Wirtz 4711
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
SOTD: Wednesday September 1, 2021 (SEptember 1st)
Razor: ATT X1 on WCS 84S handle
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild Pink (3)
Brush: Omega 10005 Boar
Soap: Yardley Almond

1630517161955.png

Thought I'd start the month by lighting off a shave with the only single-edge slant out there. If I had an ATT X2 I would have a razor that would fit for SLANTember, SEptember and then OCtober. And I'd probably get bored outta my skull using the same razor for two months. I've scheduled every shave this month for a different razor, splitting my attention between slants and SE types. OCD? No, C-D-O is in proper alphabetical order.

Apologies, if yer keepin' track, for posting this in two subs. But it's a category-bending razor, for sure!

O.H.

First shave, starting the month with the Sabre! This is one awesome razor for me. A friend on another forum lent me his and I think I ordered one for myself after 2 shaves!!
Blackland Sabre, Level 1 on non-work days, Lvl 2 on work days (makes mask wearing more comfortable, another excuse to shave!)
Personna GEM
Zingari Man unscented
AP ShaveCo, 30mm of SynBad softness!

20210828_233436.jpg

Schick Adjustable, set to 5
NOS Schick Platinum Plus (12)
Balea boar
Tabula Rasa, unscented, face lathered
Pinaud Citrus Musk

Two passes for CCS on a day and a half of growth. Ended up not going with the Micromatic and took the razor that was already on my sink, the Schick. The NOS Plat Plus is not my keenest blade, sadly, but I wanted its performance fresh in my mind before I shift to the Schick Chick injector blade. A dozen shaves, though less than stellar, is pretty good.View attachment 1320695

Being new to injectors, I have a question for you, Mr. Whiskerer, and anyone else. Yesterday I got a Type M that has the "protector lever," as it is named in the Type M for Dummies thread, Schick Type M injectors for dummies | Badger & Blade (badgerandblade.com). What is the purpose of the lever? I see what it does, but not sure when you need it. I have been googling it trying to find a copy of the directions that would have come with the razor, with no luck so far.
Thanks, gents, for any help!

Being new to injectors, I have a question for you, Mr. Whiskerer, and anyone else. Yesterday I got a Type M that has the "protector lever," as it is named in the Type M for Dummies thread, Schick Type M injectors for dummies | Badger & Blade (badgerandblade.com). What is the purpose of the lever? I see what it does, but not sure when you need it. I have been googling it trying to find a copy of the directions that would have come with the razor, with no luck so far.
Thanks, gents, for any help!
It protects the blade when you toss the razor into your dopp kit. Also protects fingers when handling the razor other than when shaving.

It protects the blade when you toss the razor into your dopp kit. Also protects fingers when handling the razor other than when shaving.

So sort of a Safety than, when not using the razor, cool! the one I received didn't have a blade in it, so while I could see a plate move, I couldn't tell exactly what it would do if a blade was in. And being too cautious, I didn't want to put a blade in if the switch was supposed to be in one position or the other.
Thanks for the help, @Whiterook!

...the one I received didn't have a blade in it...I didn't want to put a blade in if the switch was supposed to be in one position or the other.

I don't know about lever position for loading a new blade, but I once thought that it was best to reload a Schick when there was a blade already in the razor, meaning, as you loaded the new blade, it ejected the old one. This ensured alignment of the blade going in. So my understanding was if your razor didn't have a blade or blade blank already in it, then you were going to have to sacrifice one blade for the cause before you can load one to use. In other words, load the empty razor with a blade, then replace it with one you could shave with. This was to make sure you didn't have a damage blade.

But that could be a myth, disinformation. I've watched several videos where the person is loading an empty razor. So I don't know.

It makes sense that you could load an empty razor, which would allow you to pull a blade out of the razor before you store it away.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

I think it depends on the model. Some of the later razors seem to pull back farther from the stops. Watch carefully as you push the blade in and if it scrapes along the stop the blade shouldn't be used.

Thanks guys! And I found the answer to the lever question in the Dummies thread, it was several posts in and I most likely speed read right over it! So I had the answer all along!

Regarding loading, I have a bunch of Ted Pella blades that I don't get along with, so I will sacrifice one of them. Actually, this will be a good month to try one again to see if it was me or if the blade just doesn't work well for my face!

Top Bottom