What's new

Single Edge SE Questions

I'm interested in trying SE and have some questions...

1) What is meant by "aggressive". Blade angle? Blade gap (and when is this important)?
2) Thoughts between Supply v2 versus RazoRock? Others to consider?
3) Thoughts between common Schick Injector versus Schick P-20 Proline?
4) What is the expectation for how long a blade will last? ...injector blades aren't as cheap as DE blades.
5) I am also curious how Supply Pro might perform. I am unsure if having an infinitely adjustable head is useful. Perhaps a similar analogy to wood sanding where you start with a coarse grit and work your way to a fine finish; start off "aggressive" then change the setting for a closer shave. Or if most people will stick to a single setting.
6) Finally, expectations between a slant DE vs. SE?

I've been DE shaving since 2010.
Thick and coarse whisker with sensitive skin.
Have not had good luck with open combs from Merkur.
I use slants because they efficiently remove my whiskers the best.

Thank you.

In general agressive is large blade gap.

Most people set it and forget it just to make it more personalized. This works fine with plates. And is more rigid.

Some however start with a large gap and end with a small one or reversed. Here you want a continuous adjustable.

My ac blades in my occam Oren last around two weeks daily use which is not longer as a good de blade.

I like the proguard blades when I must prevent a cut or recover from one

1)Aggressive means "prone to bite." It is a function of, primarily, blade exposure and technique. A razor with neutral exposure isn't prone to bite because the blade is in line with plane of shaving. A blade that is sticking out past the plane is prone to bite because it requires better technique the more positive it is. I would argue that blade gap is a distant consideration and is more relevant to the range of effective angles. Take for example "aggressive" razors with only .5mm gap, they are prone to bite and they require skill to stay at the optimal angle.
2)Supply is releasing two new razors in February. I think you can still get in on the pre-order on Kickstarter, I am in for a Pro. I will let others recommend razors, but I have a Colonial General v2 and a vintage Hydromagic.
3)Try different blades especially the new Supply Black and vintage Schick Plus Platinum. Modern Japanese market Schicks don't have a proper injector and have to be re-packed. Modern Personnas under various names come in a flimsy plastic injector.
4)You will get everything from 4-14 shaves from people. 6-10 is realistic, vintage seemingly longer lived.
5)Oh, you did hear about it. Some people use adjustables as you describe, I like to find my setting and leave it for the same reason that I leave my razor ready to shave. I don't like having to remember what I did previously and getting punished for forgetting.
6)Similar efficiency, different feel. Less prone to bite than slants. Thicker blade plows through without flexing while picking up nearly every hair. Less buffing, less risk of irritation.

There is the ATT SE slant...

I couldn't quite figure out if you were thinking about injectors only, or AC blade SE razors as well.

1) @APBinNCA has this right. To me, efficient means more stubble removed with fewer blade trips over the same skin. Aggressive razors are often quite efficient.
2) Others to consider? In vintage injectors: Schick E, Schick hydro-magic, PAL. Both PAL and Schick made adjustables. Have you thought about vintage Gem blade SE razors? There are lots of good choices there, with good availability at little cost.
3) Thoughts between common Schick Injector versus Schick P-20 Proline? I am fine with my Personnas, Gillette Platinum Plus, and Schick B-20 Proline. I have not bothered to buy any other brands of injector blades.
I save the Prolines for my MinGoose. They are not a precise fit in vintage injectors.
4) ... how long a blade will last? For me, more than 10 shaves, but not often as many as 15.
5) I'm not a fan of adjustables. I swapped my Schick M to a friend, who loves it.
6) ... slant DE vs. SE? I generally expect great efficiency from my preferred Wunderbar and FOCS slants. I have to work a little harder to get equivalent closeness with my vintage injector razors or my MinGoose. My Gem SEs, especially the Micromatics, are as efficient as any slant DE I've used, and I have used a lot of helical slants.

SE is still very confusing. Seems like different types of SE blades (GEM, Injector, FHS/Autostrop, barber style, utility) that go with different razors.

I do not know the characteristics of the blade types.
I do not know the characteristics of the razors.
I don't want to buy each one to find out.

Supply = Injectors
RazoRock/Occam = Barber
OneBlade = Autostrop
(only vintage unless you want to spend +$200) = GEM

I need an efficient system (similar to DE slant, but closer shave).
Easily available blades.
Razor that doesn't clog.
Razor cost ~70 range, but a cheaper razor would make me less hesitant to push the buy button.
Blade costs could be an issue.

I don't really care how easy/safe a blade is to load, which seems to be the important marketing point of SE, so not sure if I should even go further with SE. But it's the "efficiency" that I am looking for, at a reasonable cost, not an "enthusiast/artisan" cost.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I've been DE shaving since 2010.
Thick and coarse whisker with sensitive skin.
Have not had good luck with open combs from Merkur.
I use slants because they efficiently remove my whiskers the best.
To see if SE would even help your shave I would not over spend on high end gear is my advice at first.
I would just go to a antique store near you & buy a Gem razor or a adjustable Schick injector for $10-30 and buy some new blades and not use old blades thrown in on a deal unless recently bought new. I almost threw in the towel when first trying SE shaving using 60 year old Schick blades.
If you can shave with a Gem razor it will be the least expensive ( I recommend a 1912 model - mid range with blade stops in good condition) for initial cost and blades are very reasonable price and last longer than AC 50mm type. buy the 3 facet blades for Gem style razors. If you want new Gem blades buy the Gem Personna SS PTFE blades made in USA. I buy mine from Connaught Shaving UK and they are a good online shaving supplier and takes 2-3 weeks to get them.
I will leave some information that might help you if your looking how to use them.
(Click on picture to enlarge)
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg
Gem procedure (2).jpg
Gem Personna blades.jpg
blade_angle-se-de.gif

This just a ball park estimation on Gem common razors for aggression and efficentcy.
Final Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Thank you for the advice and writeup. I'll start out with the GEM and see where that takes me.
Curious question, why don't we see new GEM style razors at a market price (~$60-70)?

Schick injector: E is best but G through J are all excellent. Unparalleled ease of use and always BBS without any technique. Can’t be beat! Use only Chinese Schick blades (in the yellow package)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have a good collection of GEM/E-R razors but precious little experience with them.

I have several AC safety razors and like them a lot. I use the Proline blades. Steep angle.

The old Schick injectors are excellent razors. To me, they're very hard to beat.

I use the open to clean Type E-2 with a Schick Chick (yellow package available everywhere) blade which lasts a great many shaves, more than 20, probably more than 50. Steep. There is a learning curve. The key is to shave by audible and tactile feedback and let the feedback teach you.

The Schick Grip (Type L-3) is another favorite of mine. I use it with the super long lasting, expensive TWIN blades (look on Connaught for them, currently).

I find the Schick adjustables interesting but feel they add nothing. Used steep like I use them the increased gap does absolutely nothing to change the shave.

This is a write up I did years ago on the E-2. Although I'm not actually using the injector at the moment, much of what I wrote remains valid. The E-2 is certainly in my Daily Driver category of razors which is my highest category for razors.

Sorry to not be more helpful.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have a good collection of GEM/E-R razors but precious little experience with them.

I have several AC safety razors and like them a lot. I use the Proline blades. Steep angle.

The old Schick injectors are excellent razors. To me, they're very hard to beat.

I use the open to clean Type E-2 with a Schick Chick (yellow package available everywhere) blade which lasts a great many shaves, more than 20, probably more than 50. Steep. There is a learning curve. The key is to shave by audible and tactile feedback and let the feedback teach you.

The Schick Grip (Type L-3) is another favorite of mine. I use it with the super long lasting, expensive TWIN blades (look on Connaught for them, currently).

I find the Schick adjustables interesting but feel they add nothing. Used steep like I use them the increased gap does absolutely nothing to change the shave.

This is a write up I did years ago on the E-2. Although I'm not actually using the injector at the moment, much of what I wrote remains valid. The E-2 is certainly in my Daily Driver category of razors which is my highest category for razors.

Sorry to not be more helpful.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Update:

I've been shaving with the GEM for a few days. Shaves are great, better than most DE's I've used (except for my Ikon DE slant). I really like the hybrid comb/bar design of the 1912 GEM; it's open enough for hair and lubricant, but still provides skin protection. I'm surprised nobody is making guards like GEM, because it's better than straight bars and way better than open comb (thinner teeth=more hair and more lubricant).

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Update:

I've been shaving with the GEM for a few days. Shaves are great, better than most DE's I've used (except for my Ikon DE slant). I really like the hybrid comb/bar design of the 1912 GEM; it's open enough for hair and lubricant, but still provides skin protection. I'm surprised nobody is making guards like GEM, because it's better than straight bars and way better than open comb (thinner teeth=more hair and more lubricant).
You are right about the Gem, Star and Everready that used the closed comb a lot in their razors. The 1912 models where popular and lather catchers that used the closed comb also. To me they are superior for their time and even today, they are stronger and like you mentioned allow the lather to reach the skin and edge of the blade. To be honest about the closed comb it is more comfortable than a open comb usually I have noticed over the years. When I'm shaving with my 1912 models(I have 4 of them) & also lather catchers & they feel like a straight bar but a little better at times IMO. There where slight improvements from the original 1912 to the base plates over the decades and millions where made according to their records.
(archive picture below shows a (L)Gem junior 1912 and (R)Gem 1912 from different times of Mfg, base plates are slightly different.
Comparing the Gem Junior Parade (mfg 1938) VS Gem 1912 (mfg 1928) (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

I have a gold plated star razor that looks like the photo above on the right. Really a good shaving razor. If I get careless....it does bite.

I like my Lather Catchers/1912s/1914 Little Lather Catcher a lot, however if I had heavy thick wiry whiskers I'd get a GEM MicroMatic (Open Comb and Clog Pruf) and an Auto Strop VB1 or VC1 that take a modified GEM blades and call it good. Go "flat to face" with minimal to no pressure with an Open Comb Micromatic, and it will reward you with a very close shave (you might even be able to get away with a single pass and really minimize any irritation), and a Clog Pruf does nicely, just a bit less aggressively/efficiently. The Auto Strops are used flat to face, and the head heavy design helps achieve a nice, smooth shave (I don't think I've ever nicked myself with an Auto Strop yet); besides, although you don't need to strop the stainless blades like the carbon ones, if you get a strop with it, it's really cool to use and the steam punk vibe is just a bonus.
MM Monday.jpgGEM ClogPruf.jpegAuto Strops.jpegVB1.jpeg

Top Bottom