What's new

Single Edge razors? Why do people love them?

My Ever Ready 1912 can use the GEM SE blades, or snapped in half DEs. It is a very comfortable shaver with either blade type.
I can confirm. But I did manage to push the half DE blad back once while shaving my head. No damage done just lost the blade and had to reset it. I must have applied to much pressure while shaving the back of my head. Don't know if that's happened to you too?

I don't use them but I totally get it. I started sharpening knives as my "lockdown" hobby and appreciate the maintenance and use of dangerously sharp or well-honed blades.

I can confirm. But I did manage to push the half DE blad back once while shaving my head. No damage done just lost the blade and had to reset it. I must have applied to much pressure while shaving the back of my head. Don't know if that's happened to you too?
I've had one or two where I think I nudged the tabs on the side of the DE and knocked it off the fingers that secure it in front. So far they've always stayed in the razor head so now I do try to keep that in mind while I'm shaving.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I see a lot of posts about various single-edge razors with users extolling their virtues. What is so great about these razors? While I can find DE blades at most pharmacies or big box stores, SE or Injector blades are MIA and apparently online-only options.

How much of it is just nostalgia? How much of it is 'performance? And, how much is just user preference?
As a person who has experienced both SE & DE blade systems & give reliable reasons why both systems have weaknesses and strengths and there are more blades available with the DE system and DE price per blade is very good. DE blades can drive some folks a bit bonkers with different coatings and figuring what they want to use and keeping track of performance of a blade.
SE blades there is a smaller selection available but that is a blessing to some folks. The SE blades are generally thicker 9/1000 of a inch where DE blades are 3.5/ 1000 of a inch thickness mostly, thicker blades means more rigidity.
The angle of engagement of blade to skin & whiskers is different also and leads to better edge strength with SE in theory . SE razors act like a straight razor that have been around at lot longer than DE razors and have proven very reliable + close shaves.
Nothing wrong with DE razors or SE razors from my experiences and I enjoy both systems but the DE manufactures have made all kinds of different shapes and concepts from slant razors to adjustable models that is based around a standard Gillette blade dimensions for over 120 years should tell us it will be around for many more years of enjoyment. Some SE razors use 1/2 DE blades with great success also.
A person over time and a mature hand technique can reach identical shaves with either blade system IMO but a SE Gem ASR razor checks all the boxes for myself most of the time.
(old archived photo kind of explains my thoughts on blade longevity and blade strength.)
blade_angle-se-de.gif

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
My Ever Ready 1912 can use the GEM SE blades, or snapped in half DEs. It is a very comfortable shaver with either blade type.
I just got a 1912 yesterday and tried the half DE trick and could not make it work. Can you explain how the half blade fits in the razor? I tried two different blades just in case. If you have a photo that would be great.

I just got a 1912 yesterday and tried the half DE trick and could not make it work. Can you explain how the half blade fits in the razor? I tried two different blades just in case. If you have a photo that would be great.
I'll see if I can take a few pictures tonight. I have suspected that 1912s that don't have a taught top cap might not be suitable for use with DEs, so you could be doing everything correctly, and the clamping pressure of the top cap might not be strong enough to keep the blade in place.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I would avoid using 1/2 DE blades in any ASR razors, you are just asking for not a very good outcome and a very dangerous possibility of getting a nick . There is not enough blade support to clamp the flexible DE blade and it will just flex way to much and the blade stops are barely holding the blade. ASR blades are 9/1000 inches thick where a DE blade is 3.5/1000" making it 61% less thicker a blade that the razor was designed to hold the 9/1000 inch thicker blades.
It is not worth the hassle of taking a chance with it. Buy cheap Gem Personna SS PTFE blades from Connaught shaving UK and you will get excellent shave results IMO.
Have some great shaves!

I would avoid using 1/2 DE blades in any ASR razors, you are just asking for not a very good outcome and a very dangerous possibility of getting a nick . There is not enough blade support to clamp the flexible DE blade and it will just flex way to much and the blade stops are barely holding the blade. ASR blades are 9/1000 inches thick where a DE blade is 3.5/1000" making it 61% less thicker a blade that the razor was designed to hold the 9/1000 inch thicker blades.
It is not worth the hassle of taking a chance with it. Buy cheap Gem Personna SS PTFE blades from Connaught shaving UK and you will get excellent shave results IMO.
Have some great shaves!

You are probably 100% correct, and as you say, the ASR blades give great shaves.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
Have some great shaves!
👍that’s what I ended up using.

I have no experience with Gem-type SE’s, but quite a bit with Schick injectors. IMHO, they are the best shaving tools on Earth. An E, G or J type with a Chinese Schick blade will provide you the best shave possible with ease and comfort, and no technique required. If everyone tried one, the DE would disappear

• Love
Reactions: ewk
I have no experience with Gem-type SE’s, but quite a bit with Schick injectors. IMHO, they are the best shaving tools on Earth. An E, G or J type with a Chinese Schick blade will provide you the best shave possible with ease and comfort, and no technique required. If everyone tried one, the DE would disappear

Where is the best place to find a Schick Injector like you mentioned? Estate sales, secondhand shops, and antique stores are not viable options for me. Brief internet searching did not yield anything useful. Would a WTB on this site get much traffic for something like this?

Where is the best place to find a Schick Injector like you mentioned? Estate sales, secondhand shops, and antique stores are not viable options for me. Brief internet searching did not yield anything useful. Would a WTB on this site get much traffic for something like this?
You can search Ebay for "Schick injector razor" and usually see quite a lot. Some are even in pretty new looking condition.

Yeah, just search for Schick injector, you'll get tons at all price ranges. Most sellers on eBay don't know the model designations, since I think they were mainly made by fans, not Schick, so you'll have to determine what you want, then identify it there.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I see a lot of posts about various single-edge razors with users extolling their virtues. What is so great about these razors? While I can find DE blades at most pharmacies or big box stores, SE or Injector blades are MIA and apparently online-only options.

How much of it is just nostalgia? How much of it is 'performance? And, how much is just user preference?
I haven’t used one in donkey years but I liked the weight and maneuverability of an SE. I have used straight razors for years and prefer the narrower blades (4/8 & 9/16) for the same reason.

I'll admit that I was hesitant to try the Gem or Ever Sharp SE razors, but despite being what I consider as ugly, the Gem MicroMatic Open Comb (MMOC) is an excellent razor.

Top Bottom