What's new

Single edge razors that take half DE blades?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
For my taste:
Twig not efficient enough, to the point that I actually pressed down aka: cart style.....not good
RR: I find it a bit aggressive, or maybe just a rough shaver
Yaqui: another one on the aggressive side....also a bit of a scraper

I did NOT persist with any of them......; I don't try to make a razor work.....have too many I actually like. But I got another Katana, read somewhere that the blade attachment is better....as is their SE.....or maybe a scam to waste money again (haven't tried them), but they look better finished than the originals.

Leaf is OK, it's actually good for face shaving
The secret to the Yaq Katana is use a steep angle approach(riding the bar) with a short handle for less leverage and weight and you will get some very close easy going 2 pass shaves I have discovered. It is a awesome razor when you figure it out how to best use it and hardly anyone mentions it. Aggressive razors works usually the best with a Steep angle approach.

I've found the yaqi to be as easy as pie to use. Infact I'd say smooth and not at all aggressive. But I do think a lot is down to the old adage of prep, beard type, blades etc. I may have said this before in contrast the ECO was a bloody nightmare for me, but YMMV

The secret to the Yaq Katana is use a steep angle approach(riding the bar) with a short handle for less leverage and weight and you will get some very close easy going 2 pass shaves I have discovered. It is a awesome razor when you figure it out how to best use it and hardly anyone mentions it. Aggressive razors works usually the best with a Steep angle approach.
Which version Katana do you have? Mine is from 2 years ago. May have to get a newer one to see if it’s improved over the one I have. I like mine so if it’s improved, I’d gladly buy another one.

I've found the yaqi to be as easy as pie to use. Infact I'd say smooth and not at all aggressive. But I do think a lot is down to the old adage of prep, beard type, blades etc. I may have said this before in contrast the ECO was a bloody nightmare for me, but YMMV
Agreed. Doesn't seem remotely aggressive to me, paired with Polsilver blades makes for an almost effortless shave.
Not sure if there are newer models, but mine was only $5.50 in July 2020.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Which version Katana do you have? Mine is from 2 years ago. May have to get a newer one to see if it’s improved over the one I have. I like mine so if it’s improved, I’d gladly buy another one.
Bought mine this year, another thing to mention is when putting in the blade I do just barely snug the blade and then take a paper tuck box and gently bump the blade inwards to make sure it is seated properly. The first time using it I did not have it seated properly and it seemed aggressive to me but when seated properly it works great. It works well for my self riding the bar with a short handle and so I mention how it works for myself, hopefully it will help some folks struggling with the Katana. I don't know of any new versions!

Last edited:

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
79.jpg

I typically throw a blade away after each shave and recently realized I'd be fine just using half a DE blade since I use feather blades.

Looking around I haven't seen too many nice options for razors that take these types of blades. I've seen the Leaf Twig razor but it's not great quality and the opening mechanism is kind of gimmicky.

Any other options out there?

It's become a bit of a unicorn for me. Ive been looking for a SE razor made of stainless steel that can use snapped DE or manufactured half-blades (many won't accept a manufactured half-blade, only snapped DE), and is medium aggressive.

I tried a Stando Prowe and it was far too mild, and sold it. I also have Hawk Eco, which is my favorite so far, but aluminum...so I'm still looking. Wish Blackland would make a half-blade razor.

It's become a bit of a unicorn for me. Ive been looking for a SE razor made of stainless steel that can use snapped DE or manufactured half-blades (many won't accept a manufactured half-blade, only snapped DE), and is medium aggressive.

I tried a Stando Prowe and it was far too mild, and sold it. I also have Hawk Eco, which is my favorite so far, but aluminum...so I'm still looking. Wish Blackland would make a half-blade razor.
Leaf was supposed to have a SS version of the Twig/Thorn out by July but the price was almost $200 USD. I’m guessing they scrapped that idea as I haven’t seen much talk of it on here

Leaf was supposed to have a SS version of the Twig/Thorn out by July but the price was almost $200 USD. I’m guessing they scrapped that idea as I haven’t seen much talk of it on here

I have a Leaf - the triple blade version - and it works very well for head shaves. I bought it to get off Gillette and Harry's cartridges. It gives me great shaves, very close and easy, without drama.

Never really had any interest in the Twig, though.

They had been selling both the SS Lead and Twig on a separate domain, they just sold out and the domain is effectively parked, so it likely hadn't been doing as well as they'd hope.
For what's it worth, I think they should have just sold them as special editions on their standard website, and they'd have likely gotten better sales despite the high price.

I bought a Robin “Snap”. Looking forward to giving it a go, not sure how I’ll like the lightness of all aluminum but we’ll see.
Not sure if I’ve ever heard of that one. I also haven’t heard much on here about that plastic single split DE razor MARS that has different levels of plates similar to a Karve in that way, but I forget if they have open combs plates. IIRC they do, but again I haven’t heard much on here if anyone has one and if they are decent or not.

I had this thought sometime ago but then I discovered it is somewhat moot, since why break a DE blade in half for a SE razor when you have two sharp ages that can share the workload?

Jason

Top Bottom