What's new

Single edge razors that take half DE blades?

I typically throw a blade away after each shave and recently realized I'd be fine just using half a DE blade since I use feather blades.

Looking around I haven't seen too many nice options for razors that take these types of blades. I've seen the Leaf Twig razor but it's not great quality and the opening mechanism is kind of gimmicky.

Any other options out there?

Razorock eco, u may need to read reviews. They are mixed. I find it mid aggresive, not as smooth as leaf.

The supplied half de blades from crown are meh.

I’ve used a Twig for several months. I don’t find the quality to be lacking. It does just fine. I guess the definition of “gimmicky” is in the eye of the beholder. I don’t think it is any more gimmicky than a twist to open or some of the razors that have such small parts that you have to be careful in assembly.

There is a thread in this forum from a year or so ago that list several other razors that use half blades.

Don't dismiss the Twig. I just purchased one based on some favorable reviews both here and on the Tube.

While I haven't used it yet, I will give my impressions after doing so.

RR Eco, I use it for shaving my head. You have to ride the cap with this one.

6ACFF5A2-742B-4D8B-8F4B-E16BD558BC9E.jpeg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

[/HEADING]
[HEADING=3]latetotheparty

I typically throw a blade away after each shave and recently realized I'd be fine just using half a DE blade since I use feather blades.

Yaqi Kantana makes a razor that also takes a 1/2 blade, it is mid range aggressive IMO. I do not use it often because I have many other razors.
Why would you toss a blade after one shave is beyond me, you are missing the best part of the blade on 2-4 shaves IMO.
Blades are always sharper on the 2nd shave for sure because the coating is sort of thinned off the very cutting edge and now the true edge is nicely waiting for the person to enjoy.

Last edited:
The Twig is, for me, a fantastic razor. No issue with quality for me and the twist design works well along with the magnet for securing the blade. If you can find one second hand then the Broman is another option. It works well when paired with half a Feather blade. But sadly the company seems to have stopped trading.

I use both the twig and the katana, must say both are superb razors imho. I didn't know about the magnet thing in the leaf though. As for the katana I replaced the handle for a corn row style thing off a cheap Edwin jagger copy, this just give me just a little more grip when tightening the head and better balance. I've never had my issues with either. Just for info, the eco is definitely in my worst razors category. Used it several times way, way too aggressive, sold it on.

I'm curious, how secure is the blade in the head? The twig and twig/thorn have magnets, the ECO has 4 pegs, but it seems like the Katana only has two small nubs on the top cap for security.
It's very secure once tightened but it can be a bit of a pain to load a blade. I figure that the payoff is in how slim and maneuverable it is.

I have a karve overlander which only has one plate. I like the twigs small size and it maneuvers nicely around the upper lip and ears. I havent gotten a nick or weeper from the twig yet and find it easy to use.

I shaved this morning with my newly acquired Leaf Twig and three days growth. Used a snapped in-half Gillette Silver Blue blade, my RR Big Bruce synthetic brush and Proraso Red cream.

The shave went really well. The razor went through the whiskers effortlessly. My against the grain pass was really smooth - no tugging or pulling - and at times I didn't even feel the blade, though it was cutting. The handle did become slick with the residual soap on my fingers, but rubbing alum block over them solved the problem.

With a few more shaves under my belt, I think I can get a consistent, BBS, irritation-free shave. I'll also be interested to see what effect different blades have.

Overall, pretty impressed with the first shave.

I don't understand the reasoning here. Just use one edge for each shave or do two shaves with both edges. You don't need another razor.
You may want to look at single edge razors; one of the injector razors but those blades give multiple shaves.

I don't understand the reasoning here. Just use one edge for each shave or do two shaves with both edges. You don't need another razor.
You may want to look at single edge razors; one of the injector razors but those blades give multiple shaves.
How do you keep track of which side of the razor you last used

[/HEADING][/HEADING]
[HEADING=3][HEADING=3]latetotheparty

Yaqi Kantana makes a razor that also takes a 1/2 blade, it is mid range aggressive IMO. I do not use it often because I have many other razors.
Why would you toss a blade after one shave is beyond me, you are missing the best part of the blade on 2-4 shaves IMO.
Blades are always sharper on the 2nd shave for sure because the coating is sort of thinned off the very cutting edge and now the true edge is nicely waiting for the person to enjoy.
How would you compare it's aggressiveness/efficiency to other razors? Karve plates would be a good comparison if you used that razor..
I have the thorn raiser and it’s about equivalent to the rockwell on plate six

Top Bottom