What's new

Single edge razors only?

I'm using straights almost exclusively and touch up with an SE (Kampfe/Star lather catcher) when necessary. I rotate my travel razors right now between an open comb micromatic and an open comb Merkur 1904 (currently my only DE).

I don't think you'd have any clogging trouble with any SE, (save the Injectors)

I've found the later GEMs (G bar, Featherweight, Contour) are fairly susceptible to clogging. My G Bar is in great condition, except for the brassing in the "exhaust ports" beneath the blade (very likely to be the result of clogging). I routinely have to remove the blade mid-shave to rinse all of the stubble/lather out, but the shaves are sooooo nice (2 pass DFS-BBS :thumbup:)

I've found the later GEMs (G bar, Featherweight, Contour) are fairly susceptible to clogging. My G Bar is in great condition, except for the brassing in the "exhaust ports" beneath the blade (very likely to be the result of clogging). I routinely have to remove the blade mid-shave to rinse all of the stubble/lather out, but the shaves are sooooo nice (2 pass DFS-BBS :thumbup:)

Good catch! I tend not to use the later models very often and totaly forgot about them. :oops:

I'm about exclusively using my injectors lately; they're not as smooth feeling on the face but they do a better job for me. About the only reason I'm keeping the few DEs I've got left is cuz of the bucket of good blades I've amassed...I may actually have more $$$ in blades than in the DE razors. When they're gone, though, I suspect I'll be injector only.

Just had a superb shave with my Clog Pruf Micromatic and a carbon Blue Star blade.:001_smile I can't understand the fear associated with these razors.:confused1:confused1

I don't shave with SE exclusively because I have too many DE razors and blades.
If I never used my slim adjustable, I would never get through my supply of red pack personnas.
If I never used my NEW, I would never get through my supply of IPs.
If I never used my tech, I would never get through my supply of feathers.

But I like my damaskeene 1912 and my pat 1901. If I never started with DE and didn't have such a stockpile of DE blades, and if I had a huge stockpile od SE blades, I'd be happy just using the damaskeene and pat 1901.
I don't really like any other GEM/ER, like normal pat 1912s, 1914, 1924, MM open comb or clog proof though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom