What's new

Single edge razors only?

I keep hearing about guys getting hooked on SE razors like Gems and Ever Ready's. I'm waiting for an Ever Ready 1912 to be delivered and was wondering if some of you have switched exclusively to SE razors? Are the blades sold at Wal-mart,CVS and Walgreens any good or should I look for some online? Thanks.

I've only tried a couple SE's. One I liked, another I hated, and the last was just okay. YMMV

I bought my blades on eBay.

I wouldn't recommend the store branded blades, but GEM and Treet blades are usually available at Rite-Aid. Keep in mind that if the blades don't say stainless, they aren't. Therefore, take extra care to dry them properly (rubbing alcohol and paper towels). Prsonally, i enjoy the shave i get from my SE razors more than my DE's. I attribute that to the stiffness of the blades.

I have a Gem Junior (same head as the 1912) which from the start has never failed to give me a wonderful shave! I have also tried (and posted about) the Gem Open-Comb Micromatic, which really has a bit of a learning curve, but by the end of one week was darned close to the Junior's smooth-as-silk performance.

I use Treet blades that I bought at Rite-Aid (not stainless) and get five or six shaves from a blade if I dry it well afterward.

I have often said that if I had to pick only one razor to use for the rest of time, it would be the Junior. :001_tt1:

(Although I really do like my Aristocrats, too!!) :001_rolle

I haven't switched exclusively to the SE's because I have acquired way to many DE's I'm still having fun with. If I was forced to choose one, and only one, to use exclusively, it would be either a GEM Junior or Darth Razor, my fat handle GEM. I really like them that much.
I've only used the GEM/Personna blades from Walgreens but intend to pick up some of the others to try out.

I love my SE razors and once thought that it could be possible for me to go exclusively SE until.......

.......until I started using a 1963 Slim Gillette and IP Red blades. Now I use a Gem 1912 only once or twice a week but will never go strictly SE. As HoosierTrooper said, I am having way too much fun with DE.

DL

I don't use a SE exclusively --I use vintage Gillettes and vintage Merkurs, too.

-- John Gehman

Mostly Merkurs, and a Slim, but I really enjoy the SE shaves. I will be shaving with them next month. You will love the closeness, smoothness, and sound the razor makes as it shaves.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Just an echo - I used an old Star SE today, but Fat Boy yesterday, Type M Schick before that .. but the SEs are very effective

How are they for clogging up on long pass's. I am really searching for a break for straights. Not a divorce just a break. I don't want to change my head shaving habits, so long strokes with DE is not in the cards.

Kind regards,

Any recommendations, I am looking at a Gem Jr, tonight and probably a Gem 1912 also. Are pre 1912 gems worth looking at. Good choices or should I be looking at something else?

Kind regards,

Any recommendations, I am looking at a Gem Jr, tonight and probably a Gem 1912 also. Are pre 1912 gems worth looking at. Good choices or should I be looking at something else?

Kind regards,

Initially I would look no further than the 1912. Great shaver.

I'm a little late to this thread, but I'd agree that a 1912 would be a great razor for head shaving. I don't think you'd have any clogging trouble with any SE, (save the Injectors) but the 1912 would be the most forgiving on the hard surface of the scalp. Of course since you found a great price on one, none of what I say matters anyway:lol:
Back to the OP... I love shaving with SE razors, but I also love all my vintage and new DE and straight razors. I don't think I could ever settle on JUST one style of razor. It would be like having to choose only one soap or after-shave to use. No matter how much I favor one from the rest, the small differences from one to the other, and learning the exact technique to make them perform at their peak is why I love "traditional" wet shaving with SE, DE, and straights.

Kind regards,

If you can find a Gem Junior Bar with the 1901 patent date you will be looking at one of the most beautiful works of razor art ever! :001_wub:

T Rick has one that he has posted pictures of over the past few months . . . as I recall it is a good shave as well.

Top Bottom