What's new

Single edge razors low popularity

Hi wet shavers hope you're all doing great.A healthy discussion on single edge razor ,blades.Please do pop in with your knowledgeable opinions and observations

Scenario so far:-
I see many makers of them razors who come and go off the market.Select few survive that too by having the plastic cartridge razors as main and the single edge as an after burner.
Or
They have their cash cows from the standard double edge blades and single edge razors as a hobby or they have shut single edge clearing old stock and flying mach2 on double edge razors.

The question:-
-When the supply is there then why aren't there enough wet shavers to have them.With the break even the costs can be controlled?
-Why isn't there a single universal design standard on single edge razors like we have in double edge blades?What's the need to have distinction in single edge razor and their blade design.
Why fix when it ain't broke.

Being a newbie i could have some facts wrong or mistakes please do correct them

Some single edge razors use a 1/2 DE blade. While this gives you a great variety of blade manufactureurs and styles, why should I go to the bother of snapping a DE blade when I can put put an intact blade in my choice of many DE razors already in my rotation?

Other single edge razors use specialty blades that come in only a few options for blades - just more stuff to clutter up my already loaded shave lab.

Got a few Schick single edges, and the Personna and Chick blades currently available give good shaves sans blade choices.

The various types of blades exist because they were invented by different companies competing with one another.

But before cartridge razors, the Gillette double edge was far and away the market leader in the US and most other parts of the world. So it shouldn’t be too surprising that lots of people are adjusted to it, and more is produced in that format than anything else.

Single edge? Schick had one design for its injector razors. ASR had another for its Gem razors. Weck had yet another. Artist Club was still another. There used to be more that didn’t survive past WW2. Lots of choices, every maker with its own blade. None of them had the market share of the Gillette DE. And since the Gillette style was so popular, it occurred to some to make a single edge razor by breaking a Gillette style blade in half.

So there’s not a single edge standard because none of these companies abandoned their products. There was at least one competing double edge blade too, the Durham Duplex. It didn’t really take off, though the style is still used for highly specialized purposes so it’s still possible to shave with a Durham razor if you want.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
When I was DE shaving in the 90s and 00s, I went through several blade droughts, where I couldn't find any blades anywhere. Nowadays, thanks to the internet, they are plentiful. not just in terms of sellers, but manufacturers too. Should a blade brand call it a day and close shop, there will still be a myriad of options out there.

Not so with SE.

I have intentionally stayed away from other disposable blade formats, in part due to there not being enough makers. With DE, I am confident I will never face another blade drought, so long as we all have the internet. With SE, I would be much less certain.

Also, I don't want to be be having to carry more stocks of different blades here, or learning how to use yet another type of razor, or even just trying to figure out which SE razor takes which format SE blade. It's all complexity and uncertainty that I don’t need.

DE shaving gives me results I need, cheaply, reliably, and comfortably. While ever I am able to shave, DE will always be "home"

When I was DE shaving in the 90s and 00s, I went through several blade droughts, where I couldn't find any blades anywhere. Nowadays, thanks to the internet, they are plentiful. not just in terms of sellers, but manufacturers too. Should a blade brand call it a day and close shop, there will still be a myriad of options out there.

Not so with SE.

I have intentionally stayed away from other disposable blade formats, in part due to there not being enough makers. With DE, I am confident I will never face another blade drought, so long as we all have the internet. With SE, I would be much less certain.

Also, I don't want to be be having to carry more stocks of different blades here, or learning how to use yet another type of razor, or even just trying to figure out which SE razor takes which format SE blade. It's all complexity and uncertainty that I don’t need.

DE shaving gives me results I need, cheaply, reliably, and comfortably. While ever I am able to shave, DE will always be "home"

+1! This is either the appeal of SE (rarity of some blades) or the reason to stick with DE!

I simply enjoy having a ton of blade options!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Top Bottom