What's new

Single Edge Razor Strops Info Wanted?

I have original leather strops for Valet Auto Strop razors, Wilkinson Empire razors, Henckels Rapide auto stropper, Ever-Ready England auto stropper and the CV Heljestrand auto stropper. Any one interested in the dimensions for these so that they can cut their own out of the correct weight leather? I also have the auto stropper from the Wilkinson Pall Mall razor set as well as one from a Henckels Rapide clone set sold by The Exclusive Cutlery Shop in San Francisco, though no strops with these. These are designed to work with wider and much thicker strops based on the strop slot width and depth. I can provide info on the maximum strop dimensions that will fit these if there is any interest.

The first four listed above are all quite thin leather strops and a Valet strop in good condition will work though it may need narrowing slightly for the Wilkinson Empire razor. The original Ever-Ready strop is the narrowest though my check indicates that the Valet strop will fit the auto stropper mechanism included with the Ever-Ready Streamline without modification. Below are photos of the CV Heljestrand Magnus auto stropper and strop.

CVH4SS-10.jpg
CVH4SS-8.jpg
CVH4SS-9.jpg

If trying to reproduce an old strop then here is a link to a table of leather weight versus thickness. Generally sellers list sale leather as two numbers such as 3/4 ounce so the thickness would vary between 1.2mm ans 1,6mm per the chart. The 3/4 ounce weight would be about right for strops for the first four items listed in the first post while 6/7 ounce would be about right for the CV Heljestrand and the Wilkinson Pall Mall strops. Per an email exchange with a strop maker you want vegetable tanned leather from a American or European tanner, not India or China origin leather.

Leather Thickness Chart | Rustic Leather

Last edited:
Top Bottom