What's new

Single Edge Razor Acquisition Thread.

Found a couple of nice SEs this past weekend in the wild:
Screenshot from 2019-08-20 00-15-05.png

Screenshot from 2019-08-20 00-15-55.png

A Star Kampfe Bros. New Model lather catcher in its original tin box. Unfortunately, no stropper handle, and no wedge blade, but I've been wanting to find one of these tin boxed razors for a while. Also, a nice Ever-Ready 1924 Shovelhead in a well preserved case and its outer cardboard box. It doesn't look like it was used very much. I'll have to remedy that, with SEptember coming up!

There were several other nice cased razors, but I had to exercise some restraint for this trip. Maybe I can make it back to that antique store before the others get gone...

View attachment 1009617
View attachment 1009616
A Star Kampfe Bros. New Model lather catcher in its original tin box. Unfortunately, no stropper handle, and no wedge blade, but I've been wanting to find one of these tin boxed razors for a while. Also, a nice Ever-Ready 1924 Shovelhead in a well preserved case and its outer cardboard box. It doesn't look like it was used very much. I'll have to remedy that, with SEptember coming up!

There were several other nice cased razors, but I had to exercise some restraint for this trip. Maybe I can make it back to that antique store before the others get gone...

Very nice! I love my Shovelheads, but none of them come any place near that cased/boxed beauty! The Star is very nice too, even if some pieces went missing over the last century.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
View attachment 1009617
View attachment 1009616

Nice razors, congratulations.

Very nice! I love my Shovelheads, but none of them come any place near that cased/boxed beauty! The Star is very nice too, even if some pieces went missing over the last century.
I already had an uncased shovelhead that I picked up a couple of years ago for $5, that shaves like nobody's business, but now, I'm starting to acquire duplicates if they're in nice cases, or in a complete set.
Nice razors, congratulations.
Thanks!

Some time ago I picked up this NOS Type E Schick Injector. The shell case is blue (likely navy issue and scarce) and the razor still has the blade blank in place. 1935 to 1945.
20190825_141915_resized.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Some time ago I picked up this NOS Type E Schick Injector. The shell case is blue (likely navy issue and scarce) and the razor still has the blade blank in place. 1935 to 1945.
View attachment 1011185
Looks like a pristine E2 Schick injector, nice find for a Christmas present to some one or........... enjoy it your self.
I found a Brand new one also by fluke luck when I received a razor lot a 4 months back and that one I will gift my son this Christmas who is slowly enjoying shaving. My E3 did not have the blue case but just a carboard box with a brass blank in the blade seat.
Schick razors e2 box.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Looks like a pristine E2 Schick injector, nice find for a Christmas present to some one or........... enjoy it your self.
I found a Brand new one also by fluke luck when I received a razor lot a 4 months back and that one I will gift my son this Christmas who is slowly enjoying shaving. My E2 did not have the blue case but just a carboard box with a brass blank in the blade seat.
View attachment 1011210
Have some great shaves!
Nice. I am sure your son will appreciate the gift. One of the best razors ever made in my opinion.

DCF52BED-BE03-42F0-9F88-A94863B9BD2F.jpeg 074F95BF-B2D8-4166-A5C1-4C78A87441D2.jpeg

Got this guy in the mail today (eagerly anticipated for the last week). After an initial tear down and function check I gave it a cleaning with some hot soapy water and a toothbrush. After that polished and put back together. Looks like minor plating loss on the head, but nothing major.

Fortunately everything is here, the clip was very bent out of shape, possibly from being jammed in the wrong way. Bent it back into shape, and once I found the correct way to put it in, it slide perfectly together. The mechanism works smoothly so now I need to get some blades to try it out.

View attachment 1011185
I found a Brand new one also by fluke luck when I received a razor lot a 4 months back and that one I will gift my son this Christmas who is slowly enjoying shaving. My E3 did not have the blue case but just a carboard box with a brass blank in the blade seat.
View attachment 1011210
Have some great shaves!
Beautiful Schicks, gentlemen!! Terrific acquisitions!

1CBC36B2-FD56-4D3E-9C1E-F6B9C63ED4C0.jpeg

My second Schick razor, a Type-B1. Came with the original box, sheath, and blade bank with most of the original blades.

This Was in VERY rough shape. Thought it jammed, but was able to disassemble it and turns out just had tons of gunk inside. The head of the razor was pitch black, the handle wasn’t much better. Whatever this razor went through it wasn’t good. Fortunately, the excess gunk seems to have preserved the razor very well. Tomorrow will be the first shave for this one.

View attachment 1014392

My second Schick razor, a Type-B1. Came with the original box, sheath, and blade bank with most of the original blades.

This Was in VERY rough shape. Thought it jammed, but was able to disassemble it and turns out just had tons of gunk inside. The head of the razor was pitch black, the handle wasn’t much better. Whatever this razor went through it wasn’t good. Fortunately, the excess gunk seems to have preserved the razor very well. Tomorrow will be the first shave for this one.

More times than not vintage silver plated razors will be tarnished to the point they look completely black. Autostrops are some of the biggest tarnish offenders you'll see for sale. They clean up pretty well though. I use stainless steel sink cleaner which works quite well the get them back to a silver color before polishing with silver polish.

As far as the B1 goes which is what that model is try it at a steep angle like almost riding the cap and a much shallower angle with the handle almost parallel to your face. One thing I discovered about that razor and other injectors is they are counter intuitive in how you'd expect them to perform. First they are more aggressive and less efficient when you shave them riding the cap or close to it and much more mild and efficient at a steeper angle. Complete opposite of how DE razors work for shave angles. Also I've found they shave closer when using a steeper angle than shallow which is not what one would expect either.

Other thing to do whether it needs it or not is when you put your first blade in it tighten up the cap spring by pressing it on a counter/table top just in case.

More times than not vintage silver plated razors will be tarnished to the point they look completely black. Autostrops are some of the biggest tarnish offenders you'll see for sale. They clean up pretty well though. I use stainless steel sink cleaner which works quite well the get them back to a silver color before polishing with silver polish.

As far as the B1 goes which is what that model is try it at a steep angle like almost riding the cap and a much shallower angle with the handle almost parallel to your face. One thing I discovered about that razor and other injectors is they are counter intuitive in how you'd expect them to perform. First they are more aggressive and less efficient when you shave them riding the cap or close to it and much more mild and efficient at a steeper angle. Complete opposite of how DE razors work for shave angles. Also I've found they shave closer when using a steeper angle than shallow which is not what one would expect either.

Other thing to do whether it needs it or not is when you put your first blade in it tighten up the cap spring by pressing it on a counter/table top just in case.

A nice soak and scrub with warm water and dish soap, followed by a polish worked wonders. Surprised me how nice it was underneath.

Fortunately, unlike my Type-A, this guy didn’t need to be tightened up. The modern blades fit snuggly without any movement.

Top Bottom