What's new

Single Edge Razor Acquisition Thread.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
From this year's Sue Moore auction...

A Canadian E2
full

The second of a pair of French beauties that arrived this week. I'm taking advantage of a trip overseas to buy from some of the ebay sister sites. That has been a bit challenging, as you always need to write to the seller in advance to ask about shipping, even within the EU - many have their default set to just France. And some won't take PayPal, but want bank transfers!

But then, sometimes it's worth it:

Le Coq 1.jpg
Le Coq 2.jpg
P1050904.JPG

This is a French Le Coq SE, with its shavette. It arrived with its box, two blade holders and two very rusty wedge blades, but the razor itself is pristine. My photos don't do it justice, unfortunately. A hefty 93 grams!

Question for the board: I know that these originally were designed to work with the wedge blades, but this came with a (rusty) SE blade, ala Gem, installed. It was tightly clamped in place, with no play. I assume that a previous owner "adjusted" the blade retaining arms to hold a SE blade snugly... I wouldn't have dared, but it seems to work. Any reasons why I can't use a modern SE blade, then? It has blade stops in place.

And this Globe Trotter arrived a couple of days ago (I rotated the pic to read it better - you're not upside, it is!):

Globe Trotter.jpg

This one takes a proprietary blade. Two old ones were included, thankfully - and I understand from a post from a few years back that a cut-down Feather AC will work. I likely won't try. One tooth on the right is out of place and will mess with the blade plane, and I don't dare bend it back. So I will likely just gaze at this purty thing, instead!

img_20181109_160123195_hdr-jpg.926684

955C0209-E7D9-47F2-AA2A-7AEA1B6BD9E3.jpeg
1136B576-DCEE-4890-BB37-FAFF8C7B1EAB.jpeg

My Paradigm titanium SE and my Karve DE (A+B plates - small handle) arrived today to Dubai.

Haven’t shaved with either. But both look excellent and the fit and finish on both is superb.

I’ve put my existing timeless and blackbird alongside for comparison

30AB5031-00D5-401C-9D7C-539D2B74C9C5.jpeg
FD06FABE-232A-4C51-9B5A-4993552C7DC8.jpeg
DC958185-B585-47C1-92A5-09FA49885C48.jpeg

View attachment 928808 View attachment 928807

My Paradigm titanium SE and my Karve DE (A+B plates - small handle) arrived today to Dubai.

Haven’t shaved with either. But both look excellent and the fit and finish on both is superb.

I’ve put my existing timeless and blackbird alongside for comparison

View attachment 928804 View attachment 928805 View attachment 928806
That is some seriously beautiful hardware! Lucky man!!

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

Graydog

Biblical Innards
So let's go back in time a little
I found this Gem de Luxe OC for $3. on the bay.
I already have one that is in a lot better shape and it shaves great
Has anyone used one of these before ?

Attachments

• Gem de Luxe.jpg 7.jpg
    Gem de Luxe.jpg 7.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Gem de Luxe.jpg9.jpg
    Gem de Luxe.jpg9.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 25

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
No I have never used one, interesting looking razor and a you got it for a steal. Congratulations.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
First I've seen it! Very nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hello all,

So this will break a ten year gap in posting, but here goes. To begin with I will quickly explain that due to my lack of self control, I walked away from B&B (as a participant, I still lurked) when I went on sabbatical to earn my terminal degree. Once you get out of the habit of posting, it takes a bit to get back into it. So last week my 10 year stash of injector blades was running low and I came on to see if anything was available in the market that was not a few years ago. Sure enough after poking around on this forum, money parted from my hands. I received these today, they need to be cleaned but they will serve as daily shavers (except for the Personnas, I just think they look cool). Let me apologize for the blurry pictures, and the fact everything is oriented the same way. But I am pretty sure the rules regarding it didn't happen without pictures still apply, or have you all gone soft while I was away? :) I'll get better shots when I pull the DSLR out.

So these were bought because I have a great love for their retro cool look. I had one years ago and remember there being a problem of form over function.

This will go into the regular rotation, along with a Type E that should arrive tomorrow.

New to me, I have never had a PAL and am getting it because it is so highly thought of.

Another view.

So lesson learned? This site still costs me money, I will not even get into the 50+ fountain pens I have collected, my pipe collection, the knives, and all the other great stuff. Now am I upset about it, heck no.

I missed you guys and am happy to be back!

I should have also said that I am almost exclusively a SE shaver, I have a few DE razors and two or three straights, but my daily go-to is a Schick L1 that should have been my first razor instead of the blue disposables I shaved with for years.

Well, color me embarrassed - but at least not blood-red!

What I thought was a shavette that came with my Le Coq and Apollo SE razors (see above, a few posts) is actually a stropping handle to hold onto the wedge blades while you strop 'em... Thank the Good Lord I hadn't yet gotten up the gumption to try to shave with that rig! The exposed blade was a little scary, and now I know why! My confusion is (hopefully) at least partially explainable, as the Apollo's handle has an insert to take a thin, more modern blade of some type in addition to a wedge blade, with the insert removed. My latest acquisition, a French SE Louis razor, came with two lovely wedge blades, one from a Kampf. I may sterilize them and try to resurrect them. I understand that, if you can get them honed properly and stropped, they can deliver an excellent shave... It was in looking up that process that I discovered my error. Before I lost an ear! :)
IMG_20181201_121748918_HDR.jpg

The Louis was a bargain - P&P cost me more than the razor itself.
IMG_20181201_121734489.jpg
And it arrived from France to Italy in 4 days! I'm pretty certain the handle isn't original - it's in brass while the rest is in nickeled brass, and I've seen others with more ornate, nickeled handles. It looks like someone tried to 'modernize' it with a handle from a DE razor, but it fits beautifully. Louis was my dad's name, so I like it, Frankenrazor or not!

Happy hunting/shaving!

Top Bottom