What's new

Single Edge Razor Acquisition Thread.

Picked up a Gem G-bar the other day.

$gem.jpg

Here's a family photo with my few other SE's. The other 3 all belonged to my Grandfather and Great-Grandfather. Someday I'll find a handle for that 1912. Didn't realize today was the 1914's 100-year birthday, or I might have tried it out this morning.

$3f7ed708-68d1-4210-b974-acfc185fc6a6.jpg

I'm a novice DE shaver, and haven't tried an SE yet.

Attachments

• $single_edges.jpg
    $single_edges.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 411
You actually have the 1912's handle on the 1914.

Thanks. That's what I thought initially as well, but the handle for the 1914 is too small to screw into the 1912. Doesn't appear that the 1912 is stripped out, so I just assume it has to have a slightly larger diameter. One of these days I should just take the 1912 head down to the hardware store and find a bolt that works and figure out how to make a handle.

Thanks. That's what I thought initially as well, but the handle for the 1914 is too small to screw into the 1912. Doesn't appear that the 1912 is stripped out, so I just assume it has to have a slightly larger diameter. One of these days I should just take the 1912 head down to the hardware store and find a bolt that works and figure out how to make a handle.

That's interesting because that is definitely a 1912 handle. But they did change the size of the thread on the handle during the life of the 1912 (earlier ones having the smaller thread).

Hey there...

My parents are getting ready to move and as they were going through some of their old stuff they found a Kampfe shaving kit that was probably my great grandfather's (or earlier). The saftey razor is from 1887 as far as I can tell. The canvas strop is from 1886 if I can make out the date right. And the stropper is dated 1902. Also have some Kampfe Star blades.

A few questions as I'm VERY new to the whole razor game... is this stuff rare/valueable? Is it worth getting it restored as the strop and stropper are showing their age... The wife and I are redoing our kitchen/dining room to look like an old upscale gentlemen's club and thought these would make a fantastic addition to the decor we'll have in there.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

View attachment 429607View attachment 429608View attachment 429610View attachment 429609

That is a great find, whiskeykid!
Not an expert on value, but I can say it's priceless for its age and family history alone!

So was at the swapmeet and stumbled across this and couldn't resist for 3 bucks. I only have DE blades at home so looks like I'm going to have to order some singles, anyone have any suggestions? I have yet to browse the forum for some but I know they are out there.
$uploadfromtaptalk1396816989761.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1396817036375.jpg

Last edited:
I was at a vintage & collectables fair at Quex Park yesterday - close to where I live in Kent - and although I'm more of a 'straights' man, I couldn't resist this little job-lot. The whole group for a shade under £30 ($49).

$IMG_1106.jpg
So, we have:
1) Two "Valet" Autostrops: the one in the metal case is nearly complete with the casing insert for the strop, one (looks like) partially used blade, the blade holder and six unused blades, instructions but no strop. This one has clip fittings that sit either side of the blade. The razor is in good condition and responded well to cleaning but has some plating wear on the top plate cover, on the mechanism and a little on the handle. The second, in the Bakelite box - which has the strop insert missing - had only two very rusty blades, though the razor itself is in (IMHO) in very good condition. The blade restraint, or clip in this case is in the form of a kind of cage fitting, hinged on one side, that clips on the opposing side. Again, there is some degradation of the chromium plating.

2)Two "Rolls" Razors, one in a steel casing, the other in aluminium.The steel case (marked 1927, but that may just be the patent date) is the one in the worst condition of the two but is still not too bad. I haven't fully cleaned this one yet but the blade has fairly heavy pitting on the edge and requires some cleaning and I am currently unable to unscrew the two parts of the handle and so am unable to fit it to the blade anyway: a display, rather than usable item, I feel. Also, the hone is missing from one of the lids, though the strop is still present.
The Aluminium cased Rolls is an altogether different story! Complete with original box (though in poor condition) instructions and both strop and hone in their respective lids, the handle and blade, mechanism and fittings are (again IMHO) in very good condition and are eminently usable. I love this thing!

3) A Wilkinson Sword "Empire" Model (E21) razor. This one is my personal favourite :001_wub: Complete in wooden box (nick plated metal lid, coated bottom) with original cardboard packaging (though this in poor condition), complete with original strop and three unused blades. Again, responded well to cleaning, though there is wear on the plating and the strop is a little old and musty, though the leather hasn't dried out - not sure if anything can be done to restore it? From what little research I've been able to do, this model was made somewhere between 1931 - 36? Any info from a more experienced SE shaver/collector would be welcome here.

So, there you have it chaps and chapesses! Now, not having delved into single edge safety's as collectables, I'm not too sure if this was a good deal or not - I have to say it felt like it - so any advice or info you can give me re the above would be most gratefully recieved!
Cheers :biggrin1:

Last edited:
I picked this up at the local antique mall the other day. It's a made in Canada Schick. Not exactly sure what type it is, but it is my first Injector. Waiting for some Chinese Schick blades to come in from Amazon.

View attachment 438840

So was at the swapmeet and stumbled across this and couldn't resist for 3 bucks. I only have DE blades at home so looks like I'm going to have to order some singles, anyone have any suggestions? I have yet to browse the forum for some but I know they are out there.
View attachment 433549View attachment 433550

That's a great score for $3. One of my favorite razors. As far as blades go, you can find them at Razor Blades and More or Connaught Shaving. Get the GEM PTFE coated ones; I have found those to be the best.

Picked this up at an antique store yesterday, there was a model exactly like DE93's but I was too slow and someone bought it before me. I have yet to get blades for it though.
$uploadfromtaptalk1398621919101.jpg

Last week I scored this early Valet Autostrop set at an antique store, and this Schick type E came in today from Techichi_Shave. I have been noticing that the injector razors get a lot of love lately, so I wanted to try one out. $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399401359.946307.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399401381.112012.jpg
Il be using the Schick tomorrow, any tips for me?

Got my first single edge today to try out. Very clean, and I think the price was good. I don't know though. Either way, it was cheap enough to warrant buying and trying. $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399402850.140671.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399402868.828909.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399402883.442330.jpg

Top Bottom