What's new

Single Edge Razor Acquisition Thread.

Above the Tie X1 Slant with Calypso handle!
Just received it today from ATT. First shave tonight and all I can say is, it's remarkable in every way!

full

full

I just bought a twig! 😀

No pics yet of course as the order just went in. I just couldn’t wait to say it. Fendrihan here in Canada has them now and it’s super quick and free shipping with them so likely will get it Tuesday. Only problem is they just have the razors, not the full kit. I think the stand should come with the razor, not an optional kit.

Oh I can’t wait!😬

1935-38 Schick E2 injector with the swing-open spring to aid cleaning. I've been wanting one of these because it bothers me that you can't open the injectors to clean them, especially the old ones that used carbon steel blades (which could corrode...badly). I found this one in an auction of a "lot" of mostly blades and brushes along with a Flare Tip Super Speed (I have over 40 already) and a Pre-war Tech (I have half a dozen or so). All that was visible in the listing photos was the box partially hidden under a brush. I got the lot for about $20, but the auctioneer hammered me with $32 in shipping. I almost rejected the lot by not paying the shipping, but I really wanted to see what was in that box. Here it is:

PXL_20221023_181345724.jpg
PXL_20221023_181333329.jpg
PXL_20221023_181251726_exported_1236_1666548899175.jpg
PXL_20221023_181237438.jpg
PXL_20221023_181050202.jpg
PXL_20221023_181102047.jpg
PXL_20221023_181923421.jpg
The instructions weren't actually inside the box, but they came in the lot. The instructions are probably for a later variant of the injector razor because the razor box itself identifies the "Schick Repeating Razor Co." as the maker while the instructions identify "Eversharp Schick" as the maker. Also the last illustration (#6) in the pamphlet shows what appears to be the tab that prevents the spring from swiveling open. I understand from Waits that Eversharp purchased all the assets of the Schick Repeating Razor Co. in November 1946. Even in 1946, Eversharp/Schick sold a G-type variant that looks pretty much identical to this one, but with a spring locked in place. Regardless, I'm thrilled to have the E2 razor and the instructions. I also happen to have a cased G-type that will make a nice place to hold these instructions.

1935-38 Schick E2 injector with the swing-open spring to aid cleaning. I've been wanting one of these because it bothers me that you can't open the injectors to clean them, especially the old ones that used carbon steel blades (which could corrode...badly). I found this one in an auction of a "lot" of mostly blades and brushes along with a Flare Tip Super Speed (I have over 40 already) and a Pre-war Tech (I have half a dozen or so). All that was visible in the listing photos was the box partially hidden under a brush. I got the lot for about $20, but the auctioneer hammered me with $32 in shipping. I almost rejected the lot by not paying the shipping, but I really wanted to see what was in that box. Here it is:

View attachment 1544353View attachment 1544354View attachment 1544355View attachment 1544357View attachment 1544358View attachment 1544359View attachment 1544360The instructions weren't actually inside the box, but they came in the lot. The instructions are probably for a later variant of the injector razor because the razor box itself identifies the "Schick Repeating Razor Co." as the maker while the instructions identify "Eversharp Schick" as the maker. Also the last illustration (#6) in the pamphlet shows what appears to be the tab that prevents the spring from swiveling open. I understand from Waits that Eversharp purchased all the assets of the Schick Repeating Razor Co. in November 1946. Even in 1946, Eversharp/Schick sold a G-type variant that looks pretty much identical to this one, but with a spring locked in place. Regardless, I'm thrilled to have the E2 razor and the instructions. I also happen to have a cased G-type that will make a nice place to hold these instructions.
Nice one! I like the handle, it's beautiful. Treat her right.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
You scored Mitch! I have an E2 just like it, and one that doesn't open to clean I just used a couple of weeks ago. Great little shaver.

~doug~

Last edited:
This week I decided to come back to wet shaving after another long hiatus. I bought a Van der Hagen DE, shaved with it once, then went to Maggard and picked up a RazoRock Hawk v2, a couple packs of AC Pro blades, and a new synthetic brush. I think I'm done messing with DEs and I'm just going to go with a known good razor that I've had success and enjoyment with in the past. Can't wait for it to arrive!

This week I decided to come back to wet shaving after another long hiatus. I bought a Van der Hagen DE, shaved with it once, then went to Maggard and picked up a RazoRock Hawk v2, a couple packs of AC Pro blades, and a new synthetic brush. I think I'm done messing with DEs and I'm just going to go with a known good razor that I've had success and enjoyment with in the past. Can't wait for it to arrive!
I own maybe 10 DE razors, but now use exclusively my vintage Schick injectors or GEM or Star SE razors. Injector and SE razor blades have a thicker, stiffer feel without the wobble of DE razors. More like a straight razor, but I don't think I'm brave enough to use a straight razor ever since I read that Brits call it a "cutthroat razor."

Nice acquisitions. I don't have a clue what brands they are. Please let us know the brands and how they shave.
The top razor is a Wilkinson Pall Mall. It accepts standard SE blades or wedge blades. The exposure is adjustable, as is the angle of the head. I have a few of these, and they’re a great shave.

The bottom razor is a no-name DE that allegedly shaves pretty well. It’s NOS.

Picked these both up on the cheap.

Last edited:
The top razor is a Wilkinson Pall Mall. It accepts standard SE blades or wedge blades. The exposure is adjustable, as is the angle of the head. I have a few of these, and they’re a great shave.

Wilkinson Pall Mall. I love the look. Now I want one of those.

Thank you. In the razor world, there's always the thrill of the chase and finding something new.

1924 Ever-Ready "Shovelhead"

I just turned 70 and usually just shave every other day, now. I'd been shaving (successfully) for a while with a DE Edwin Jagger and wanted to try an even more retro SE. Found this refurbished 1924 patent online and tried it.

I wish I took a picture of my face afterward: blood literally running down from a dozen places it got me! I knew I was going to have to modify my shaving style to fit the razor. I checked out some of these shaving forums on the web and learned to "cork" the new blade. After a couple of weeks, I am getting great, close shaves with no blood! I am shaving twice, then turning the blade over for the next 2 shaves. Stainless Gem blades.

This is a VERY aggressive razor! I've learned to glide the razor with almost no pressure, in LONG, SLOW overlapping strokes. I can't even feel the blade pulling/cutting the whiskers except around the mouth. I think the reason for the short handle (which I didn't like at first) is to prevent using too much leverage. It's growing on me! I LIKE it!

Last edited:
Newbie (to the forum and safety razors) just got a new Vector Ti. I have had 4 shaves in 4 days, and overall I'm really liking it. For now I'm using Feather ProGuard blades and the shaves I am getting are at least as good as my Gillette Tech with Feather blades, which kind of surprised me. I had the impression that the ProGuard blades would be gimped somehow, but that's not the case. I also bought a pack of Professional blades, so I'll try those someday. For me I would have to say that the Vector has been very newb friendly, almost as easy as my Tech.

The only nicks I got were on the first day, near the smile lines around my upper lip/nose. Took a little more care in that area during subsequent shaves and no more nicks. The increased width of the head is something I need to get used to, it's kind of a mixed bag. However, since I'm getting as good if not better results with simple/cheap soap than my Tech I'll definitely not be using Blackland's return policy. The only bad part is now I'm going to have to wait awhile for my post count to climb so I can sell a bunch of vintage Gillettes :sad:

Attachments

• vector.jpg
    vector.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 4
Jealous of all the BL Vector acquisitions. Want to bite during the sale but it's pretty steep in Canadian pricing, and not sure how much of an upgrade it would be over the yaqi excalibur.

Top Bottom