What's new

Single Edge Razor Acquisition Thread.

AutoStrop B1.
20210910_143023.jpg

British made Ever-Ready. A real beauty - these close-ups expose a lot more flaws than seen with the naked eye. She's nice and shiny with just a couple noticeable blemishes. This is my first SE razor. Super weird putting a "paint scraper" blade in it! I got the Gem PTFE blades though.

Shaved with it last night. A bit more irritation than with my well-practiced Super Speed/Nacet combo but not too bad for the first run with a totally different razor. Nice close shave, no nicks or anything. Mostly BBS with the exception of a couple of spots. Need to practice more under my nose with the bigger head. I love putting these old implements back into use.

20210917_105606.jpg
20210917_105546.jpg

Last edited:
British made Ever-Ready. A real beauty - these close-ups expose a lot more flaws than seen with the naked eye. She's nice and shiny with just a couple noticeable blemishes. This is my first SE razor. Super weird putting a "paint scraper" blade in it! I got the Gem PTFE blades though.

Shaved with it last night. A bit more irritation than with my well-practiced Super Speed/Nacet combo but not too bad for the first run with a totally different razor. Nice close shave, no nicks or anything. Mostly BBS with the exception of a couple of spots. Need to practice more under my nose with the bigger head. I love putting these old implements back into use.

View attachment 1329871View attachment 1329872
It took some trial and error, but SE razors, Ever-Ready and GEM, have become my favorite razors. The GEM Micromatic open comb is my absolute favorite. Use the very lightest possible pressure and listen for the proper angle. The SE blades give you a lot of sound feedback and you'll hear when you have the right angle.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD SEptember 29th 2021

Razor: Yaqi AC 50mm Excalibur V2, Mfg 2021> mid range, very comfortable shave, some blade self alignment possibly needed, great little inexpensive razor and great comfortable post shave feel IMO.
Blade: Feather Professional AC 50 mm (2), Sharp & smooth with reasonable longevity.
Soap: Razorock Don Marco, nice citrus scent with excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Viper 24mm boar- excellent lather generator, soft bristle split end tips, nice scrubber + good lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Witch hazel skin cleaning + Nivea Refreshing AS + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizer balm( excellent + scentless)
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + 1 weeper= :a17: Excellent shave with my Yaqi Excalibur V2 + a Feather Pro blade.
SOTD,  Sep 2th 2021.jpg
Yaqi excailbur comparison V1 to V2 (4).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
My latest SE is a super clean Schick J2. It came with some NOS blades, including some twins. I read that twins should be used with later Schicks like L and beyond so I’m not going to use the blades until I have one of the newer ones.

I shaved with it last night and it was very comfortable to use, not all that dissimilar to my M1. It didn’t come with a blade in it so I assumed I’d be wasting the first blade I loaded but I loaded a Personna and it was fine. Good shave, resulting in a DFS+

7F20A6EB-BB45-4BDE-872B-11CD5D2561FB.jpeg

Capless Damaskeene.
Im not sure if the cap was removed from this Damaskeene or if it was a small production display model.
There are GEM and STAR “Test Outfits”, that were capless 1912 models released in 1921.
B6BAD1C3-411A-4A0D-9437-B39AF1B8C32D.jpeg
F0095B61-385F-4551-B746-18F7CAED9994.jpeg
8C60D3C6-319A-4465-B07A-C8664770A0C4.jpeg
C36595D1-AA33-449C-9BBD-BB75AA47B0A9.jpeg

This is a photo I pulled off another B&B thread showing The Star and Gem “Test Outfits” 1921. I just noticed that these have blade retainers on the sides.
26DC7D1B-52A9-462C-930E-93497F0A50F7.jpeg

Capless Damaskeene.
Im not sure if the cap was removed from this Damaskeene or if it was a small production display model.
There are GEM and STAR “Test Outfits”, that were capless 1912 models released in 1921.

I saw one of these listed on eBay and wondered the same thing, whether it was released that way or someone removed the cap. Looks pretty cool either way. Apparently the "Test Outfit" razors have a 1914 patent date

Top Bottom