What's new

Single Edge Razor Acquisition Thread.

Very cool. What kind of blades does it take? Looks like GEM or some proprietary blade.
You have to fiddle in a hacked modern blade. Currently I'm running my three Empires with a modified Feather AC blade, a modified Injector blade and a de-spined and modified GEM PTFE Blade. They all have their pros and cons. The modified GEM blade was easiest. I think this new one will get a modified PAL Carbon gem-type blade for an old time feel. If I could hone I'd try to put an bevel and edge on the original blades but that's not my thing. I have seen new original blades for these but they want exorbitant amounts on EBay. And then you'd have to keep it honed.

You have to fiddle in a hacked modern blade. Currently I'm running my three Empires with a modified Feather AC blade, a modified Injector blade and a de-spined and modified GEM PTFE Blade. They all have their pros and cons. The modified GEM blade was easiest. I think this new one will get a modified PAL Carbon gem-type blade for an old time feel. If I could hone I'd try to put an bevel and edge on the original blades but that's not my thing. I have seen new original blades for these but they want exorbitant amounts on EBay. And then you'd have to keep it honed.
Wow. Hats off to you sir. Sounds complicated.

Very cool. What kind of blades does it take? Looks like GEM or some proprietary blade.
Wilkinson early versions took a hollow ground wedge? don't know if you call it a wedge? or not?
A ruddy great lump of metal ! fat on one end and sharp on the other.

WILKERSINS.jpg

Left:- very early Pall Mall, non adjustable, 7 day set, each blade spine engraved with the day of the week, automatic stropping machine and manual stropping handle. [later Pall Mall's were adjustable]

Center case:- belongs to the Empire on bottom right, integrated stropping in the razor head and a much smaller ''lump of metal'' blade in a spring type clamp, the nob is the adjuster winding the blade assembly in and out over the roller guard.

Top Right:- is a much coveted 7 blade box.

Far Right:- a full on wedge blade, the spine has Wednesday on it, so some old timer took the time to grind a hollow blade to a perfect wedge!

WILKERSINS2.jpg

Top Right:- Adjustable Pall Mall 7 day set [also came in 3 blade and 5 blade set]

Middle Bottom:- and early Empire, denoted by the fuzz color.

Bottom Right:- This I call THE rarest of rare Wilkinson, A Left Handed Model :w00t:

Another Empire Set. Should clean up nicely.
$10.50 and Shipping it was a steal.

And some Wilkie Super Sword Edge Vintage DE Blades thrown in.

View attachment 1820167

I do not have the later version in question 😢 , but i have the firm belief it should have a ''Frame Back'' blade with a dovetail, insert then twist assembly. These also came in 7 day versions, in the oak lined nickel plate brass cases, then later in full fuzz case. And a really really really rare pierced nickel brass case, oh what a beautiful case that is :love-struck:

En route is a Razorock Hawk v3 Standard AC with Super Knurl handle. Curious if I can use anything other than a Yaqi Romulus. If the Hawk works, all well and good, but this is really a test to see if it's worthwhile to go after the La Faulx. That's my endgame.

Dropped in the mail today - will be my shave tomorrow. Bonded Single Edge blade so I feel it qualifies as an SE even though it's encased in a cartridge. Rumored that Wilkinson used their legendary Super Sword Edge technology for these blades. I've used Sword Edge in vintage DE's and they are amazing. Hoping this shaves the same. Nonetheless it's damn sexy in the hand.

Wilkinson Sword Bonded System (early 70s-ish)

IMG_0403-compressed.jpeg

Dropped in the mail today - will be my shave tomorrow. Bonded Single Edge blade so I feel it qualifies as an SE even though it's encased in a cartridge. Rumored that Wilkinson used their legendary Super Sword Edge technology for these blades. I've used Sword Edge in vintage DE's and they are amazing. Hoping this shaves the same. Nonetheless it's damn sexy in the hand.

Wilkinson Sword Bonded System (early 70s-ish)

View attachment 1830033
One of those bonded razors was my first shaver. I liked it, but I found that catridges were not available for it in the islands after moving here. I picked up a Schick Injector and the rest is history. I have a Wilkinson Bonded and a small supply of cartridges now. They are good shaving tools.

One of those bonded razors was my first shaver. I liked it, but I found that catridges were not available for it in the islands after moving here. I picked up a Schick Injector and the rest is history. I have a Wilkinson Bonded and a small supply of cartridges now. They are good shaving tools.

I snagged a razor lot the other week and it came with a 10 Pack of the Bonded blades but no razor. So I jumped on the Bay and found one in Box with another 5 Carts. Figured that would keep me going a while in the rotations. Not going to see it over on the TOST3 board. Even though I consider it a Single Edge it's also a Cart. LOL

I snagged a razor lot the other week and it came with a 10 Pack of the Bonded blades but no razor. So I jumped on the Bay and found one in Box with another 5 Carts. Figured that would keep me going a while in the rotations. Not going to see it over on the TOST3 board. Even though I consider it a Single Edge it's also a Cart. LOL
Yup, when I shave with mine I cover it up for those guys. Now I guess I'm going to have to shave with mine soon. Maybe Friday.

Wilkinson early versions took a hollow ground wedge? don't know if you call it a wedge? or not?
A ruddy great lump of metal ! fat on one end and sharp on the other.

View attachment 1820441

Left:- very early Pall Mall, non adjustable, 7 day set, each blade spine engraved with the day of the week, automatic stropping machine and manual stropping handle. [later Pall Mall's were adjustable]

Center case:- belongs to the Empire on bottom right, integrated stropping in the razor head and a much smaller ''lump of metal'' blade in a spring type clamp, the nob is the adjuster winding the blade assembly in and out over the roller guard.

Top Right:- is a much coveted 7 blade box.

Far Right:- a full on wedge blade, the spine has Wednesday on it, so some old timer took the time to grind a hollow blade to a perfect wedge!

View attachment 1820456

Top Right:- Adjustable Pall Mall 7 day set [also came in 3 blade and 5 blade set]

Middle Bottom:- and early Empire, denoted by the fuzz color.

Bottom Right:- This I call THE rarest of rare Wilkinson, A Left Handed Model :w00t:

I do not have the later version in question 😢 , but i have the firm belief it should have a ''Frame Back'' blade with a dovetail, insert then twist assembly. These also came in 7 day versions, in the oak lined nickel plate brass cases, then later in full fuzz case. And a really really really rare pierced nickel brass case, oh what a beautiful case that is :love-struck:
Codicil :-

I buyed yet another wilkerson, for the case, i was going to make wonders with just the case then ended up keeping it intact, 🎱
turned out to be a different model of Empire.

Of interest though, it came with a box of four[4] blades, single edge spine back :blink: never say never unless you never seen it before, wait thats wrong.

WILKERSINS3.jpg

I believe these were after the Dunhills but before the Empire Sets. I'll have to research it further. Feel free to comment on circa.
I don't know much about these, but I think you are right about it pre-dating the Empire version. Here is my Empire 7 day set which was made from 1936 to 1952.
20240417_091434.jpg

I believe it uses standard empire blades in the hangers. Made by this guy, of course:
20210620_091132.jpg

I don't know much about these, but I think you are right about it pre-dating the Empire version. Here is my Empire 7 day set which was made from 1936 to 1952.
View attachment 1831135
I believe it uses standard empire blades in the hangers. Made by this guy, of course:
View attachment 1831136
The blades in this set are in pretty good shape but I don't hone. They'd need a new bevel set and then honed if I'd want to put them into service. I tend to stay away from the 7Day Empire sets because you can't modify the razor to accept modern blades like some of the other Empire sets. Yours is a beauty !!

Incoming today - a very sweet looking Wilkinson Sword 7 Day Set. I believe these were after the Dunhills but before the Empire Sets. I'll have to research it further. Feel free to comment on circa.

View attachment 1831088View attachment 1831089
Circa ?
Nice colour fuzz, not a common colour.
It's adjustable so not real early, but some of the earliest empires were of that style.
The razor? is it nickel plated? It should at the very least be Silver plated, and from the fuzz clour, I would have a wild stab at this should have been gold??
Is there an inlaid metal circle in the top of the lid?

WILKERSINS2.jpg

Top left:- early non adjustable
Bottom left:- early non adjustable [razor only, no idea if it a empire or pall mall]
Middle bottom:- early adjustable Empire, note the size to empire above it, and brown fuzz.
Top Right:- Pall Mall

The Dunhill had their own handles black or white, and in gold too, and from memory were made over a number of years, so they could have intermixed dates with Pall Malls and early Empires??

Top Bottom