What's new

single-edge gurus

Hello, well, I've recently gotten into single edge razors. I've managed to pick up a gem 1912 and a g bar (although I haven't had a chance to shave with either yet! the anticipation...). Anyways, my query is about the history of single edge shaving. When did it start (compared with double edge), and what were some major brands? What are some 'must-have' razors, and where can I find out about pricing and identifying them (is there a database or list)?

Yes, that's a lot to ask, so if anyone could even point me in the right direction to find that info would be greatly appreciated! (paging D.Irving79... how many single-edge gurus reside here at B&B anyways?) I find info on these razors harder to come by than double-edge.

Much obliged!

Last edited:
I am no guru, but I have been shaving with a 1912 and a 1908 lather catcher for a couple of months. I think single edge blades became an alternative to the tedious upkeep of a straight during the 1890s. Single edges also offered a safety bar to protect the shaver from the full blade. There are in between models that used a honable, stropable permanent blade in a single edge apparatus, but they are fairly rare. I hope this helps.

There are lots of threads you can search on forums here at B&B, TSD, SMF and others. Google is a great way as well to find info. The hunt is part of the fun!!

Check out Kampfe, Star, Gem, Valet, Schick and see how they all fit together in respect to the Gillette history. And if you need more single edges than that, move back a few years to Wade&Butcher, Ern, Wolstenholm.

Hello, well, I've recently gotten into single edge razors. I've managed to pick up a gem 1912 and a g bar (although I haven't had a chance to shave with either yet! the anticipation...). Anyways, my query is about the history of single edge shaving. When did it start (compared with double edge), and what were some major brands? What are some 'must-have' razors, and where can I find out about pricing and identifying them (is there a database or list)?

Yes, that's a lot to ask, so if anyone could even point me in the right direction to find that info would be greatly appreciated! (paging D.Irving79... how many single-edge gurus reside here at B&B anyways?) I find info on these razors harder to come by than double-edge.

Much obliged!

kampfe razors hit the scene ROUGHLY around 1875 i believe. gem cutlery came to be in 1898, ever ready in 1900. there were other brands at that time but none as big (antiseptic, mohican, superior, etc.). the SE blade we know today came out in 1900.

must haves are a matter of opinion, but almost anyone who uses a SE razor agrees a 1912 gem is essential to your arsenal. i highly recommend it as a beginner razor as well. as time goes on and you still like it you can search out the earlier model gems from the pre 1912 era, the lather catcher models. these command a higher price usually, but are well worth it in terms of the shave it delivers and its appearance overall: very ornate usually in fancy cases, sometimes with extras (shave stick/brush tin(s), extra blades/extra blades holder).

if you have any questions otherwise, drop me a PM.

Thanks for the replies so far fellows. I find single edge razors so interesting probably because there's not as much info out there about them compared to double-edges. I've found a number of recurring brands and names (i.e. the 1912) here in the archives. I plan on hitting the antique stores in the next little while- I'd hate to miss a real score so I'm trying to read up as much as I can on these great razors.

im currently working on a book (or web book, not sure yet) on the gem cutlery co. ,so that will probably have a lot of info youd be interested in when the time comes.

I'm not placing myself under the title of "guru" but I'd say no SE collection is complete without at least one of the Micromatics by Gem. They have a reputation of being quite aggressive and bloodthirsty, but they can be tamed and give you some of the best shaves ever. They are a very nicely balanced razor that delivers BBS with little more than it's own weight against the face. As far as price, I have yet to pay more than about 4 bucks for any (non lather catcher) Gem found at one of my antique malls, and maybe 12 dollars in the B/S/T, but that was for specific models I wanted for my collection and included shipping. The earlier "lather catcher" models will fetch more. From a strictly collector's view, they don't have quite the appeal of Gillette razors due in large to not being able to date an individual razor to the quarter, or even within several years. (even longer in most cases, mostly because Dave is so tight lipped in such matters:wink: Must be holding out for better sales of his book, well it won't work on me... BTW I have a "friend" that would like to know how much an autographed copy of Dave's book will cost. He would like it to read 'To Andy, a GEM of a shaver'... what, I can't have a friend named Andy?:lol::lol:)

When were the last single edge razors generally made? (I'm assuming there are no new ones being made to this day)

I'm not placing myself under the title of "guru" but I'd say no SE collection is complete without at least one of the Micromatics by Gem. They have a reputation of being quite aggressive and bloodthirsty, but they can be tamed and give you some of the best shaves ever. They are a very nicely balanced razor that delivers BBS with little more than it's own weight against the face. As far as price, I have yet to pay more than about 4 bucks for any (non lather catcher) Gem found at one of my antique malls, and maybe 12 dollars in the B/S/T, but that was for specific models I wanted for my collection and included shipping. The earlier "lather catcher" models will fetch more. From a strictly collector's view, they don't have quite the appeal of Gillette razors due in large to not being able to date an individual razor to the quarter, or even within several years. (even longer in most cases, mostly because Dave is so tight lipped in such matters:wink: Must be holding out for better sales of his book, well it won't work on me... BTW I have a "friend" that would like to know how much an autographed copy of Dave's book will cost. He would like it to read 'To Andy, a GEM of a shaver'... what, I can't have a friend named Andy?:lol::lol:)

:lol::lol: :wink:

When were the last single edge razors generally made? (I'm assuming there are no new ones being made to this day)

the gem pushbuttons were sold into the early 1960s. the contour II date i havent been able to pin down, but was available up until the early 1980s.

Top Bottom