What's new

Single Edge = DE broken in half?

I have a butterfly type DE razor made by Feather and it seems to work well. I wanted to try Derby blades and ended up getting the half double edge blades made for straight razor disposable edge type razors. These work fine in my DE if I carefully load two blades. Are these considered SE blades?

I like that 100 are in a small pack vs the big DE 100 pack. I'd like to buy a SE razor if I'm on track with the DE half blades... is this the case?

My question is... where can I find a safety razor to hold these guys?
proxy.php

Those are made for str8/shavette/barber razors.

The Focus Dynamic R48, I believe that's it's name, uses half DE blades but those Derby's may not be held in good because it wasn't "snapped" in half. The bend from the snap helps hold the blade in place on the R48.

Nope, they take blades made specifically for them.

There's another SE called the Leaf, I believe, that takes half DE blades, I don't know much about it though...

I don't suggest messing around trying to load those half blades in a DE razor. You can get a hundred excellent DE blades for 10 or 12 bucks.

I don't suggest messing around trying to load those half blades in a DE razor. You can get a hundred excellent DE blades for 10 or 12 bucks.

Right. It was more just to try another brand ($5 for 100 Derby SE blades). Turned out I liked them and ordered the regular DE blades. I like the idea of having an SE razor however if there is such a beast out there. Smaller packaging on blades and no keeping track of which side is dull or has a burr irritating my face.

Nope, they take blades made specifically for them.

There's another SE called the Leaf, I believe, that takes half DE blades, I don't know much about it though...

Looks like a nice product. So I take it the SE using half blades must be a rare item.

Looks like a nice product. So I take it the SE using half blades must be a rare item.

Rare for SE safety razors, not rare for shavettes.

Injectors and GEM razors have been around for a long time, Artist Club(AC) safety razors are fairly new. All use a blade that's more twice as thick as a DE blade. I benefit from the thicker blade, they are better on my skin than the thinner flexible DE blades. An SE safety razor that uses DE blades is a waste, but that's just my opinion, my favorite is the ATT SE1 with Schick Proline AC blades. I also like the injector and GEM's but they fall behind the SE1.

The Russian Saiver uses half blades plus one regular DE blade in combination.

The Shake Sharp, one of the most brilliant safety razor designs extant, uses a single edge DE so as to be able to hone the blade edge in place.
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom