What's new

Single edge blade guide

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Luc, with regards to blade type, all the post lather catcher GEM and ER razors were designed to take the same SE blade that is around today. Many of the lather catchers too.
Valet, Rolls, Wilkinson Empire are where you're going to see differences. (and razors I have no clue on :) )

Right, so the blade with a spine should fit most GEM and Ever Ready razors where the Feather (spineless) is more for those Valet, Rolls, etc.?

I have and do use the blades from connaught as they are easy to get this side of the water, plus they are my blade of choice over the carbon blades
as sometimes they do feel a bit harsh to me in certain razors, but as ever ymmv.

Having purchased both injector and SE PTFE from Connaught , I can heartily recommend them. I , too, prefer the coated stainless over the carbon steel.

Right, so the blade with a spine should fit most GEM and Ever Ready razors where the Feather (spineless) is more for those Valet, Rolls, etc.?

Part A is correct; part B is mostly correct. Google around for the Valet Autostrop, and you'll find there are four types. The "type 1"s take either the Feathers or a standard SE blade with the spine broken off. I forget the distinctions among the other 3 types (which have a door with "valet" cut out in it -- mine is a "type 1"), but some take Feather only (no broken-off standard SE), and some take only original NOS Valet blades (no Feathers).

I wouldn't have thought that living in the sticks of central PA was good for much, but there are three ShurSave grocery stores in a ten-mile radius that carry Treet blades. $3.69. I was pleased, especially considering what I'd paid for my hereafter-to-sit-on-the-shelf multi-blade shavers.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
The Pal, Gem Blue Star, Treet, and Gem stainless are all coated blades. I wrote ASR years ago, and was told this. The only uncoated varieties are sold for industrial use. Also, these can all be ordered online, shop around for the best prices. Personally, I will go with a carbon steel any time and, as indicated, I dry it and put it on a paper towel to air dry. While I am at it, I always flip the blade over. In that way I am using both sides of the edge, and they last longer that way.
I didn't know that Gem Blue Stars are coated. I live in an area of LOW humidity and have had NO trouble with Blue Stars rusting. I rinse blade and blot dry after shaving. Mike

I tried the Flying Eagle stainless single edge blades made in China (from dx.com) and they are worthless for shaving. So far I have tried the GEM by Personna which is my favorite and the GEM Blue Star carbon blades which shave well but are too much maintenance to keep from rusting. I haven't tried the Pella blades yet and probably won't for several years as I already have a few boxes of the GEM by Personnas and those blades last a very long time.

I tried the Flying Eagle stainless single edge blades made in China (from dx.com) and they are worthless for shaving. So far I have tried the GEM by Personna which is my favorite and the GEM Blue Star carbon blades which shave well but are too much maintenance to keep from rusting. I haven't tried the Pella blades yet and probably won't for several years as I already have a few boxes of the GEM by Personnas and those blades last a very long time.

Pellas are GEM/Personna.

Top Bottom