What's new

Single edge 2.0 by supply

That razor looks like a good choice. I suggest you start with the solid bar base plate and decent blades such as Astra. Which plate are you using with your Supply? You might try starting with the one-dot plate if you haven't already.
I'm using plate 1. I just found injector razor blades available from South Africa. They cost me incl shipping to Zimbabwe US$15.63 (US$8.58+US$7.05 shipping), or US$0.78/blade. That's better than the US$7.50 I'm charged locally for 1 single Gillette Fusion cartridge. (Of course it gets cheaper if I order more than 1 box...)
1597313460690.png

I'd still suggest keeping at it with the Supply Provision - sometimes, things just take a bit longer to get used to.
The current FaTips are really nice shavers, though. :thumbsup:
I'm not giving up yet (I guess the FaTip will only reach me in a month or so...).
I just tried to give it another 'local' shot (ear-cheek area as it's one of the easiest and flattest shaves). What I noticed (and to me proof that I'm not putting pressure) is the trail the Supply leaves on a freshly lathered cheek: a ±3cm stroke of shaved skin with on each side a ±2mm band of soap (the area from the blade stop to the blade edge that is 'unreachable' for the blade) and an extra ±2mm band of skin (where the blade stop removes the soap). You loose 20% of the length of the blade due to these two blade stops. Maybe I'm over-scrutinizing things here, but I consider this a fatal design flaw (just like with the original Schick Injector as per the online photos I found) and you'll have to give me a very good reason to convince me of the opposite! Can this maybe be one of the reasons why there are so few injector razors (and blade suppliers) available???

I wonder, is it worth getting this razor?
I have tried SE before, the not that kind of blades
Many like this razor and some just don't. That is pretty much the case with most razors. Honestly, if I were you I would find a used Schick L1 and start with that. That was my first injector and I still use it after 45 years. The Supply is a good razor, but unlike most injectors it is on the heavy side.

I'm using plate 1. I just found injector razor blades available from South Africa. They cost me incl shipping to Zimbabwe US$15.63 (US$8.58+US$7.05 shipping), or US$0.78/blade. That's better than the US$7.50 I'm charged locally for 1 single Gillette Fusion cartridge. (Of course it gets cheaper if I order more than 1 box...)
I think those are just Personna blades - AFAIK, Ted Pella makes those, and the packaging looks the same. They probably meant to say they're Schick injector compatible blades in the description. I could be wrong, of course, but the signs are there.
I was thinking of buying these next month - their AC blades are excellent and I've heard good things about their shorter injector blades, too:

I'm not giving up yet (I guess the FaTip will only reach me in a month or so...).
I just tried to give it another 'local' shot (ear-cheek area as it's one of the easiest and flattest shaves). What I noticed (and to me proof that I'm not putting pressure) is the trail the Supply leaves on a freshly lathered cheek: a ±3cm stroke of shaved skin with on each side a ±2mm band of soap (the area from the blade stop to the blade edge that is 'unreachable' for the blade) and an extra ±2mm band of skin (where the blade stop removes the soap). You loose 20% of the length of the blade due to these two blade stops. Maybe I'm over-scrutinizing things here, but I consider this a fatal design flaw (just like with the original Schick Injector as per the online photos I found) and you'll have to give me a very good reason to convince me of the opposite! Can this maybe be one of the reasons why there are so few injector razors (and blade suppliers) available???
Maybe it'll turn out to be different for you after all, but considering people get on with it just fine, you're probably overscrutinising. Like with any design, actual blade width just needs to be accounted for during a pass. To me, for example, the stops are completely insignificant in use.
I think the main reason why so few injectors are available is simply because Gillette had crushingly good marketing at the time and because they can be comparably effective shavers, interest just waned.
I'd say that if you're getting weepers or irritation, then the blade angle you're using might be too steep.
Have you tried all the plates you have, perchance? It might take a few shaves with each to get used to it, but if you have them, it's worth a try.
Another thing is lather - experimenting with e.g. a very cushy lather and then thinner but slick lather could yield interesting results, too.

Oh, I almost forgot - some DEs can take a pair of injector blades just fine. :)

I was thinking of buying these next month - their AC blades are excellent and I've heard good things about their shorter injector blades, too:
Why is it that Schick is not mentioning these blades anywhere on their website? The injector blades in the US, are they old stock? Is Schick really involved in these? I think it's very weird...

Why is it that Schick is not mentioning these blades anywhere on their website? The injector blades in the US, are they old stock? Is Schick really involved in these? I think it's very weird...

The Schick injector blades on Amazon and elsewhere are new stock made in China. Schick is like Gillette they intend the blades to be sold outside the US. Apparently, us Americans are the only ones gullible to marketing and letting the suppliers dictate what we will buy until recently. I switched to a DE about 10 years ago and at that time it was almost impossible to purchase DE blades locally. However, I am now starting to see DE products show up consistently in the chain stores. Therefore, maybe we are starting to wise up more and demand a better quality shaving experience. The injector style razors never garnered the mass appeal the DE razors did but they did have a loyal audience. I gave my Dad a package of the Chinese Schicks for his vintage injector he has had as long as I can remember. He has fallen in love with his injector all over again. Now that I have my Supply 2.0, I may never go back to DE.

I have been using the Supply Single Edge v2 for some three weeks now. I shave every other day, three passes with plate 1. Results definitely got better. But I really need three passes and after that a few touch ups here and there. So for today I decided to switch to plate 2 to check if that was a more efficient way of getting rid of the stubble.

I have been using the Supply Single Edge v2 for some three weeks now. I shave every other day, three passes with plate 1. Results definitely got better. But I really need three passes and after that a few touch ups here and there. So for today I decided to switch to plate 2 to check if that was a more efficient way of getting rid of the stubble.
And then what happened... I got a WhatsApp telling me my Fatip Piccolo Special Edition was ready for collection! That thing is such a nimble beauty. It sits perfectly between thumb and index finger while the tip is resting in my little finger (I do have small hands). Perfect weight, shiny gold and black, very smooth surfaces... I was a little apprehensive due to the lower ratings on Amazon of the Fatip brand in general. Italian products always make me think twice: very nice design, poorly executed. I might have to change my opinion on that... Even the few underlying scratches in the brass vivible in the chrome add to the beauty as far as I'm concerned. It makes it look more real! (I'm getting too lyrical here, sorry...)
So I decided to try it out with the gentile head and an Astra blade: super smooth shaving, only two passes necessary. No nicks, irritation whatsoever! Note that I had never ever used a double edge razor before in my life (I'm 57).

Now I can honestly compare my experiences:
-The Fatip blew the Supply out of the water like there's no tomorrow!
-The chromed surfaces of the Fatip are smoother than the Supply's matte chrome and have less friction. (The Supply sometimes got 'stuck' on an immediate second pass without relathering, this didn't happen with the Fatip.)
-Where the Supply always felt a little awkward in my hand, the Fatip feels way more natural. I can twist it around like a cheerleader's baton! After 1 go that is...
-The grip of the Fatip handle feels more secure than that of the Supply's.
-Absolutely no problem finding the right angle. It felt way more natural than the Supply's advertised ease of finding the right angle.
-The shave is so close that I'm confident I can leave an extra day in between shaves. Too bad :,-(.
-This Fatip is less than half the price then the Supply, in my situation at least.
-Again in my situation, availability/price of blades is way better for the Fatip, again at least in my situation.

I have a local friend here who shaves dry/electric and is not happy with the smoothness of the shave. He complains of bumps when trying a cartridge razor (This seems to be a real problem for African men). If interested, I think he can have a free second hand Supply...
1598541258104.png

Top Bottom