What's new

Single Cup Brewing

I enjoy strong tasting coffee and would like to try a single cup brewing method.

Is there a preferred single cup brewing method/product for "standard" coffee? (I am not intrested in buying an expresso machine.)

Thanks,

RJ

There are a few of us here that clearly and completely enjoy their Keurig coffee makers. Unfortunately, I cannot compare them to others because I only have/tried the Keurig. The cups are now decently priced, there are an infinite variety of flavors, and the maker itself is very easy to use and clean.

Porcelain #1 Size Coffee Cone Filter Holder

proxy.php
For those who dislike plastic, we offer a nice heavy porcelain coffee filter made in China. I think you could practically drop this from your 2nd story window and not break it ...very heavy vitrified porcelain. These have 3 holes, just as a plastic filtercone does. It fits a #1 paper cone filter, which we also stock ... but this is a small size. This is a very small size cone, and is great for brewing for one person, perhaps two. Here is a picture of the #1 next to the #4 size. Also see the Porcelain #1 Filter Drip Pot Set below. As with any filtercone, you adjust the grind to achieve ideal infusion time - which is 2 to 4 minutes or to your taste. In cold ambient temperatures, I suggest pre-warming with hot water to prevent heat loss. Once heated, it retains heat well, and will help create a better brew.
**Certified Lead-Free and Cadmium-Free
$11.50 (1.2 lbs. ship wt.)

I use a little SwissGold one-cupper I bought from Sweet Maria's back when they were in OH. They're no longer sold :(

I love my two Keurigs - a Breville model at home and a Keurig mini at work.
Some coffees taste great with both of them, others not as much. I tend to stick with breakfast blends, many of which are as good as a properly brewed drip.
I've tried Tassimo (had one for over a year), when it was a Braun product... Stay away from it, unless you want lattes or cappucinos (both fake, but tasty and drinkable). NEVER got a good cup of coffee out of a Tassimo. Keurig also has coffees, teas, cocoas, etc., and works great. Also these days K-cups are easier to find than T-discs. I just think the design is better, and simpler. Also holds more coffee in a K-cup, so it's naturally easier to get proper flavor than wringing the flavor out of much less coffee (t-disc). Go for Keurig.
Highly recommended.

Last edited:
A french press makes a good strong cup.
This is my suggestion as well, especially if you're not familiar with coffee from a french press. So much of the coffee's essential oil and aromas get lost in paper drip filters, a press really does a better job at capturing the flavor of the bean. Just make sure you do your own grinding, you'll need to make it coarse for a press pot.

At work I'm the only coffee drinker in my department, so there really wasn't any point in making a full pot for just myself, so I got a Bodum 32oz Young Press. I make about 16oz per day, and it works out pretty perfectly.

I know the Keurig machines have gotten pretty popular, although I can't imagine myself ever using one without the refillable kcup that you can put your own freshly ground coffee into. I don't care what vacuum packed freshness seal they're advertising, if you're starting out with preground coffee you're going to get an inferior cup.

Last edited:
For single cups I use either a Beehouse or Hario ceramic pourover or a Clever Coffee Dripper from Sweetmarias. I definitely get better results from the CCD since I can control brew time.

On the CCDs, couldn't you use the IngenuiTEA, or one of the many clones thereof, and use the permanent filter instead of paper ones? You might get some sediment (though I would think it would be minimal, those filters are pretty fine), but it seems like that would better preserve the coffee oils and aromas.

A french press makes a good strong cup.

+1 We use various methods - drip, Italian espresso pot, even own a Nespresso machine. All are very good, but our French press gives the most consistent, bitter-free brews. And you can buy a small size that probably yields only 2-3 small cups.

Last edited:
+1 We use various methods - drip, Italian espresso pot, even own a Nespresso machine. All are very good, but our French press gives the most consistent, bitter-free brews. And you can buy a small size that probably yields only 2-3 small cups.

I use a Moka pot, a French press, and an Aeropress, and the Aeropress wins hands down for me, for ease of use, consistency, and flavor. On its best days, I can believe the French press may make a superior cup, but it's easy to mess it up and it's pretty finicky (though nowhere near as finicky as the stovetop espresso maker/Moka pot...).

Porcelain #1 Size Coffee Cone Filter Holder

I use the #4 porcelain filter holder from Sweet Maria's to brew with most often because the cleanup is easy. They are nice and thick-walled. A trick I came up with is I put it on top of the toaster inverted to get it nice and hot so it won't draw heat away during brewing.

But if your aim is a rich, strong tasting cup and you don't mind the sediment/cleanup, the press is the way to go.

I usualy brew one cup, although my cup's a quart. I do moka, french, several kinds of manual drip, and turkish. For an alternate manual drip, you can brew in any cup or pot and pour into a filter when it's about ready.

For single cups (most of my coffee brewing these days, roommates aren't up early enough) I use either an Aeropress or a small french press. The Aeropress works better for blends and more neutral coffees while the french press does justice to the single origins I tend to favor.

Protip: Don't skimp on french press quality. I bought a cheap one-cupper at TJ Maxx and the glass burst in my hand as I was cleaning it. A deep but manageable gash in my right pinky.

For a single cup I use either a French press, Aeropress, or filter cone. All give great results that are a little different from each other.

Top Bottom