What's new

Singaporean Pleads Guilty to Acting as Illegal China Agent: U.S.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Bloomberg) -- A Singaporean man pleaded guilty to acting as an illegal agent for Chinese intelligence in the U.S., according to a statement posted Friday on the U.S. Department of Justice website.

a man flying through the air while riding a snowboard down a river: The Merlion Statue stands in a near-empty Merlion Park in Singapore on Monday, July 6, 2020. Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong vowed to hand over Singapore “intact” and in “good working order” to the next generation of leaders, predicting the coronavirus crisis will “weigh heavily” on the nation’s economy for at least a year.
© Bloomberg The Merlion Statue stands in a near-empty Merlion Park in Singapore on Monday, July 6, 2020. Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong vowed to hand over Singapore “intact” and in “good working order” to the next generation of leaders, predicting the coronavirus crisis will “weigh heavily” on the nation’s economy for at least a year.
Jun Wei Yeo, also known as Dickson Yeo, admitted that he provided valuable information to Chinese intelligence and knowingly recruited others in the U.S. to do the same, a Federal Bureau of Investigation officer said in the statement. Sentencing is set for Oct. 9, with a maximum penalty of 10 years.

“Today’s guilty plea underscores the ways that the Chinese government continues to target Americans with access to sensitive government information, including using the Internet and non-Chinese nationals to target Americans who never leave the United States,” said Michael Sherwin, Acting U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia.

Conflict between the two superpowers has escalated recently as the Trump administration earlier this week ordered China to close its Houston consulate -- saying it served as a hub for spying and influence operations -- and China responded by ordering the closing of a U.S. consulate in Chengdu.

Yeo, who began working with Chinese intelligence officers as early as 2015, had targeted American government employees and an army officer to obtain information for the Chinese government, according to Alan Kohler Jr., assistant director of the FBI’s counterintelligence division. Yeo admitted to setting up a fake consulting firm in 2018 to further his scheme and looked for individuals with sensitive information who were vulnerable to recruitment, Kohler said.

Yeo posted job advertisements under his fake consultancy, which used the same name as a prominent American consulting company, and got numerous resumes from U.S. military and government personnel with security clearances, the statement said.

For more articles like this, please visit us at bloomberg.com

©2020 Bloomberg L.P.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is no surprise to me. Countries spy on each other all the time, even friendly ones. And China is no friend of the US.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Ain't that a hangin' offense anymore?

My lovely wife and I were just studying up on Nathan Hale the other day.

Yeah, we are a WILD couple!

We stand on the shoulders of giants my friends. Seriously.

Top Bottom