What's new

Sinatra Lennon, Unboxing & First Shave w the NEW Gillette Heritage Safety Razor

IMG_20191114_155248.jpg
I did some weight comparisons, Gillette vs Muhle and las Razorock Head. They all look similar BUT they are NOT the same. Now the shave later-- will be head shave Muhle vs Gillette....

Now the head shave report:
Muhle 89 vs Gillette Heritage
Warm wet towel x 3
Proraso Red pre shave
Proraso Red tub using RazoRock synthetic
Blades: Gillette 7 O'clock green new on each
This was a 3 pass shave, it felt good, the R89 felt a bit more efficient on first pass, later probably no difference.
All in all, an average shave.
Proraso Balm
I chose Proraso thinking most people will probably have those items, I don't use them that much.

Now my personal opinion: if you have the R89 and just want a razor to shave: don't waste your $$ in this Gillette!

If you don't have an R89, then I think this is an OK razor....

If you are a collector....get it....the BOX is nice....reminiscent of the OLD Gillette boxes.

I do get better shaves from Karve OC "C", Muhle R41 or RR Jaws
I have the R89 and had not used it since Jan, not biased at all; and I love Gillette vintage Razors...have a few of those.

Been using mine for a few days now and I have to say, this shaver may replace my Merkur Progress as my daily shaver (using Astra SPs).

Construction is superb, polished under the cap etc. and I've always liked a 3 piece design. Grippy handle.

Shave is top notch. Smooth and aggressive enough to get a BBS shave with 2.5 passes, the same as my Progress. Perfect blade registration, size, balance and weight.

It's an easy shaver, like a Merkur 34c, never worried about cutting myself. (A 34c used to be my second favorite shaver.) I'd say it's a little more aggressive than a 34c.

And the travel case is high quality and a nice touch.

Gillette certainly did their homework here.

Last edited:
Been using mine for a few days now and I have to say, this shaver may replace my Merkur Progress as my daily shaver (using Astra SPs).

Construction is superb, polished under the cap etc. and I've always liked a 3 piece design. Grippy handle.

Shave is top notch. Smooth and aggressive enough to get a BBS shave with 2.5 passes, the same as my Progress. Perfect size, balance and weight.

It's an easy shaver, like a Merkur 34c, never worried about cutting myself. (A 34c used to be my second favorite shaver.) I'd say it's a little more aggressive than a 34c.

Despite my pointing & laughing & generally deriding the New Gillette Heritage in the past, the most important thing is that it provides a good shave.
A lot of eyes will be on this new Gillette & by doing a good job, it will help promote double edge shaving to a new generation of wet shavers. Hopefully they'll run some TV ads soon, and especially during the Super Bowl.

I like his idea of putting an old type head on the heritage handle. Old meets new. I tried it myself and the two make for a great shave. I find I get better control from the common bar-like handle than from the original ball end. I understand why they went with the 89 type head but personally, this is what I envision as the Gillette heritage razor.

IMG_9185.jpg

Shave is top notch. Smooth and aggressive enough to get a BBS shave with 2.5 passes, the same as my Progress. Perfect blade registration, size, balance and weight.

[My post from another GH thread.]

I've made the new Gillette Heritage my daily shaver.

I get a closer shave with it than I do with my Merkur Progress. No irritation either. If I try to get as close a shave with the Progress I'll get irritation and cuts. The Gillette makes shaving my chin a breeze as-well.

FYI -- the Progress has been my daily shaver for 3 years.

I'm really liking this shaver.

Thank you Gillette!

Its interesting that Gillette have produced this Heritage razor, could they want to encourage the collector and even the investor market.

Is this razor likely to be worth more in 5 years than what you pay today?

If so, and people are buying more than one then Gillette will pick this up and perhaps produce other classic razors.

SL seems like a nice guy but seriously what’s up with these YouTube shavers?
I’m more hairy than most men- I also have a weird condition where I mostly have 2 hairs (sometimes 3 or 4) growing out of the same pour. I can grow a beard thicker than anyone I know...I rarely require a “2nd pass”.
I like how Williams mug has a decent larger- why clog your razor?
That being said I think many of the wet shavers on YouTube - SL included are slightly “off” in the head. Seeing someone who obviously doesn’t have much beard growth do 3-4 passes - you’re watching someone psychotic folks.

Reactions: abj
Top Bottom