What's new

Simpsons Trafalgar T2 - updated opinion

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Doesn't Simpson also give the same advice for how to use their badger brushes? Paint the lather on?
I suspect those instructions are a historic legacy designed to minimise warranty claims, and to encourage common sense in those that do not possess any. Mark Watterson, the MD of Simpson has stated, right here on B&B, that rotational brush strokes with light pressure, and without mashing the knot, are quite acceptable. In any case it feels great so I will continue vigorous face lathering; if I destroy my brush in the process then I will consider it a price worth paying and buy another. I am not suggesting wilful damage to the brush, but sensible use. A brush is merely a tool to give me pleasure it is not to be preserved for all eternity, if I cannot use it in the way I want then it is not fit for purpose and I will seek an alternative. Thus far my Simpson brushes look like new despite several years of my enthusiastic use 😆

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I LOVE all my Trafalgar Series brushes!!! And my top pick remains the magnificent T3... :001_wub:
I know you do... and I respect that.. I think more people like them than don't. I'm in the minority among those who don't. I see your SOTD photos and I'm glad you love your T1-T3s, the whole set. <eg>

It isn't that I hate the Trafalgar T3. I just have other synths I enjoy using more. I don't ever reach for it. Eventually, I'll PIF it to someone along with the other two I enjoy less that my top three. I don't really see the need for me to have more than three synths I enjoy. I have quite a few brushes from the other genres.

Used it again today. I wasn't sure that I was going to shave right after my shower today so I didn't want to pre-soak one of my boar or badger brushes. In the end, I decided to shave so grabbed the synth as I know it doesn't need soaking. Loaded it with GFT Coconut (a favorite) and went right to the bowl. Gobs of lather (added water as needed) and if you're a painter, it works great. I like to scrub and gave it my best shot but this brush doesn't want to. Regardless, it worked fine to paint. I'll use it now and then and have no interest in experimenting with other synthetic brushes but I guess I'm glad I bought this one.

I think a brush like this is great for the newbie (less that $25? fuhgeddiboudit!) and the lazy (me). I'd still only grade it a C+ overall. A+ for making lather, F for face lathering (unless you're a painter which is who this brush is designed for according to Simpson so take my grades accordingly).

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I know you do... and I respect that.. I think more people like them than don't. I'm in the minority among those who don't. I see your SOTD photos and I'm glad you love your T1-T3s, the whole set. <eg>

It isn't that I hate the Trafalgar T3. I just have other synths I enjoy using more. I don't ever reach for it. Eventually, I'll PIF it to someone along with the other two I enjoy less that my top three. I don't really see the need for me to have more than three synths I enjoy. I have quite a few brushes from the other genres.
Sir, here at B&B we welcome any opinion, as long as its presented with kind manners and a fair behaviour. This is how True Gentlemen act, as taught us by my dear friend and collegue Dave @FarmerTan

I HATE synthetics that are either set too deep or have a large glue bump.

The Trafalgar is unfortunately in this category.
It feels stiff and difficult to splay.

If the T2 had a free loft of 55mm (i.e. excluding any glue bump), it could be a good brush.

The chubby 2 synth with 52mm loft and no glue bump was a really nice brush but the tips had little face feel so I didn't keep it.

I HATE synthetics that are either set too deep or have a large glue bump.

The Trafalgar is unfortunately in this category.
It feels stiff and difficult to splay.

If the T2 had a free loft of 55mm (i.e. excluding any glue bump), it could be a good brush.

The chubby 2 synth with 52mm loft and no glue bump was a really nice brush but the tips had little face feel so I didn't keep it.
I don't think it's designed to splay, rather to work as a paintbrush, hence my own disappointment with it. I agree the proportions are wrong. For me, it gets a C. Doesn't suck, isn't very good. I'll use it now and then as it gets lather ready quickly. Frankly, my cheap unbranded chinese synth is better in every way.

I don't think it's designed to splay, rather to work as a paintbrush, hence my own disappointment with it. I agree the proportions are wrong. For me, it gets a C. Doesn't suck, isn't very good. I'll use it now and then as it gets lather ready quickly. Frankly, my cheap unbranded chinese synth is better in every way.

I personally don't understand the Simpson "painting motion" logic. I can never get a dense, creamy lather with painting strokes.
I've always used their badger brushes with circular motions without issue.
Their Trafalgar synth just plain sucks.

Most synthetics I've used either were too stiff (huge glue bump or set too deep), or too floppy.
I find Muhle STF and G5C to offer the best tactile response. A little pressure to splay or no pressure for little splay.

Chubby 2 synth w/52mm loft and omega evo w/55mm loft were also very good, but just not to my preference of face feel.

I personally don't understand the Simpson "painting motion" logic. I can never get a dense, creamy lather with painting strokes.
I've always used their badger brushes with circular motions without issue.
Their Trafalgar synth just plain sucks.

Most synthetics I've used either were too stiff (huge glue bump or set too deep), or too floppy.
I find Muhle STF and G5C to offer the best tactile response. A little pressure to splay or no pressure for little splay.

Chubby 2 synth w/52mm loft and omega evo w/55mm loft were also very good, but just not to my preference of face feel.
If I haven't already said, "I feel you." I feel you. If I knew then what I know now about the brush, I would not have bought it, even for $22. Could be a candidate for another knot at some point. Love the handle, it's just not the right size for this knot.

Last edited:
Reactions: nav

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'll be passing my PAA Peregrino and Trafalgar T3 on when we get back to the States... that is if he doesn't read this thread. <eg>

I've used this brush 2-3 more times since my last post, usually on a day where I needed a shave but was too lazy to shower. Like today. I am one to admit if I change my mind or opinions on something and I have to admit, here in front of the whole class, I'm starting to warm up to this brush. I just did a quick shave with no more than a few splashes of water and used the T2 to whip up a quick lather with T&H Rose cream. I decided to see if I could get this thing to face lather and splay. Gave the brush a rinse, loaded up some cream and went about it. As synthetic fibers don't hold water very well, it was a bit drippy and messy so I went to the bowl to finish the lather. But rather than paint, I pushed the brush as I was lathering my face it seems that with some usage, these will splay. I've gotten used to the feel after being so used to good badger and boar brushes and had a great BBS shave - AS-D2 w/Personna Labs on it's 4th or 5th shave (and done).

I think I finally see the appeal of these synthetic brushes now and my opinion written on the 13th has changed. I am also finding I'm using my badger brushes least now which is a total surprise to me after them being my gold standard for I don't know how long. This, my unknown chinese synth, my Omega 10065 and Semogue SOC Taj boar brushes are becoming my most used. Amazing. $10-35 brushes replacing $$60-100+ brushes.

I had trouble splaying mine (too springy) for a while but now it opens up and splays pretty easily. It wasn't love at first use but I'll take it over my Duke 3 synthetic anyday.
Frankly, I was surprised that mine seems to have relaxed some as I thought that synthetic fibers would be one of those what-you-see-is-what-you-get materials unlike badger and boar hair which do change their characteristics as they indeed break in. Regardless, my opinion of this brush has changed over the past couple of weeks.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Maybe I didn't give my T3 enough of a chance. In any event, it's moved on now. I think I did 4 or 5 shaves with it. I much prefer a couple other synths I have. Too pokey for me. I like the backbone I get from natural fiber brushes and like something similar from a synth. It doesn't have to match a natural bristle brush... I'm really only looking for non-annoying. <eg>

I had trouble splaying mine (too springy) for a while but now it opens up and splays pretty easily. It wasn't love at first use but I'll take it over my Duke 3 synthetic anyday.
Same here. I find that if you load it really well it helps with splaying too. It is still quite springy, and will fling lather if you're not careful. I sent a large glob of Arko lather flying just this morning. :laugh:

Same here. I find that if you load it really well it helps with splaying too. It is still quite springy, and will fling lather if you're not careful. I sent a large glob of Arko lather flying just this morning. :laugh:
That happened to me too. And that's a drawback of this brush. I guess that's why Simpsons marketing people advise painting with it...

Top Bottom