What's new

Simpson's Synthetics - price justified?

The only references I found to G5 fibres was here

But now they have changed the ad to G4 so it looks like I was misinformed.

Nevertheless I like the brush and knot very much Alin.

Edit: they have Oumo G5 knots available
Thanks for the info.
It seems I guessed right: Bali, Everest, Atlantis and Robin have the same knot (G4 fiber). I had some G4 brushes and I didn't know!
Yaqi China does not give this information about synthetic fibers used in brushes!

Thanks for the info.
It seems I guessed right: Bali, Everest, Atlantis and Robin have the same knot (G4 fiber). I had some G4 brushes and I didn't know!
Yaqi China does not give this information about synthetic fibers used in brushes!
How do you like yours?

It seems I cannot do animal brushes. I loved my old synthetics but they are all very similar with almost no backbone. Most synthetics have very little backbone or scrub. My Chubby 2 synthetic is lovely in that regard.. feels amazing and less in growns as the result of that good scrub. So for me it was well worth the money. JM

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a G4 26mm brush: the Executive Shaving Co. "Ultimate"... I just love everything about it. It isn't the cheapest, by any stretch so I bought a couple from PAA for travel. The PAA Atomic Rocket is pretty close to the same feel. The Peregrino is a completely different kind of knot... I've only used it once and it doesn't feel as nice.... but it isn't bad, just different. Not as soft.

Thanks to you both... I was about to order the T3. I ended up ordering two brushes from PAA instead: the Peregrino and the Atomic Rocket.
If I had the appetite to continue pursuing a synth, this would have been my next move precisely.

I have a T2 and T3, a synth from Stirling and RazoRock Plissofts. From my usage I figure why bother until I absolutely must. I receive such an elevation of performance from my Simpson Besties (and pures), Plisson, and now finding a likening to premium boars, the performance gap just gets wider for me.

To be clear, I’m not championing one over the other. I just haven’t been able to make a solid connection with any of my Synthetics.

Maybe I just need to step up and try a Platinum or Mühle STF

The RazoRock - Chrome Silvertip Plissoft Synthetic Shaving Brush has quickly become my favorite brush:

1D2FE2FB-7BD3-4674-ACDD-C3194F5A9197.jpeg

I picked it up a couple weeks ago, paid $19.99 for it minus a ten percent discount, no taxes, free shipping at Pasteur’s. Some find it too heavy, but for me that’s a good thing. It’s therapeutic helps with regaining function and strengthening my right arm and hand! But it’s soft to the face and some good backbone to it!

I am a HUGE fan of Simpsons and they are basically all I use. Their synthetics make no exception, so I am really unable to compare them to other brands. But I do love them entirely. I own the entire Trafalgar Series (x2) and the Chubby 2 (x2). The Trafalgar costs less because the Sovereign fibers are much easier and less expensive to buy, whereas the Platinum fibers are a premium option, hence price point reflects. All in all none of them is truly expensive I would say: Trafalgar brushes range between €28 and €38, while the Chubby 2 is priced €98 here in Italy. Are they worth having? Well, to me ABSOLUTELY YES. On many of my preferred soaps they seem to perform better than their badger counterparts costing a lot more.

I'll second that, @Marco63

For the price, my Trafalgar T2 is really hard to beat.
And the synthetic Chubbies 2 are a nice addition.
Both fibres are quite effective; as you say they are great performers.

I bought a used Chubby 2 synthetic and played around with it quite a bit and ended up relofting it. I've found other brushes (knots) I prefer.

Why is Simpson moving away from the highly thought of Platinum Fiber towards the Sovereign Grade Fiber? Are they having problems sourcing the Platinum fiber? Is the Sovereign just as good?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Why is Simpson moving away from the highly thought of Platinum Fiber towards the Sovereign Grade Fiber? Are they having problems sourcing the Platinum fiber? Is the Sovereign just as good?
I am not sure they are moving away from the Platinum fibre, I suspect the huge success of the Trafalgar series has proven the demand for a budget synthetic Simpson brush and they are meeting that demand by using the Sovereign fibre in their traditional handle shapes. I doubt there are plans to discontinue the Platinum fibre there is simply less demand for premium priced synthetics. I have not used the Sovereign fibre but I have an early Platinum fibre Chubby 2 Synthetic Badger (not synthetic bristle) which is lofted at 54mm compared to the current 50mm and it is superb and well worth every penny. It is the only synthetic brush I would consider owning.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It's interesting.. reading my posts from a few months ago. I went on a brush journey for quite a few months there. My opinions have changed.

I've narrowed down my synth brush preferences to three: my original ESC Ultimate G4 is still my favorite handle and I continue to enjoy its feel, the Omega Evo and a newly acquired FB group buy brush from Alpha Shaving with his G5"D" knot. It feels very similar to the G4 knot for me.

The other synths I have or had but don't enjoy all that much are the Maseto 28mm, Simpson Trafalgar T3, Atomic Rocket, Peregrino. I think that's it.

I've also explored the mixed knot world. I just love the Semogue Owner's Club Mistura brushes. I'd put them against any synth I own and they'd come out just slightly on top.

Then boars and badgers. I have some very fine examples of both.

Wow, looked back on my old post from this thread and my opinion changed a bit.

My original post was about my T2 and my Duke 3 synth, but since then I've acquired an M7 synthetic and it's turned into my #1. It's the first synthetic where I wholeheartedly feel like I can make the switch to 100% synthetic, for whatever reason. Not that I ever will.

T2- yes worth every penny. D3 synth- for me, no. M7 (with that little bit of extra loft)- still expensive but time heals all wounds. Found the grail.

I am not sure they are moving away from the Platinum fibre, I suspect the huge success of the Trafalgar series has proven the demand for a budget synthetic Simpson brush and they are meeting that demand by using the Sovereign fibre in their traditional handle shapes. I doubt there are plans to discontinue the Platinum fibre there is simply less demand for premium priced synthetics. I have not used the Sovereign fibre but I have an early Platinum fibre Chubby 2 Synthetic Badger (not synthetic bristle) which is lofted at 54mm compared to the current 50mm and it is superb and well worth every penny. It is the only synthetic brush I would consider owning.
On their website on one special edition Chubby remains with platinum fiber.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
On their website on one special edition Chubby remains with platinum fiber.
The M7, Duke 3, and Classic 1 are also available in Platinum fibre on the Simpson website right now. Like any business, Simpson will no doubt produce whatever the market demands and currently there is high demand for inexpensive synthetic brushes to compete with Yaqi etc. hence the large number of Sovereign models. I do not interpret that as 'moving away from Platinum', but you are free to do so and may very well be correct; perhaps Mark Watterson @A.E. Simpson 1919 would like to comment 👍

You might be correct. Or, perhaps they are going to limit it to specific models? I don't know. I guess we will see. You are probably correct in that they are going with what the market wants. I am glad to see that there are still some models with the Platinum. I missed the M7's, somehow.

I'm amazed at how synth brushes seem to have taken over the market these past years. As I own very good badger and boar brushes, I doubt I'll ever buy a synth brush (no need) but badger can get spendy so it's nice that there are alternatives now for those who either object to animal hair brushes or simply want to save a little money for other gear. That synth brush fibers are non-organic is probably another benefit. But $90 for a synthetic Chubby 2 does seem expensive (nice handle though!).

I am in talks with their supplier who's been in business for 40+ years and I assume supplying them just as long. The supplier leverages 2 manufacturers:

Manufacturer 1 - Platinum Fibre - This is definitely a premium fibre, more "natural" water retention, softer tips, etc., you're getting what you pay for. Originally this hair was imported from Thailand. Now, this comes from the suppliers factory and would be tied in-house by Simpson (which also bumps the price).

Manufacturer 2 - Sovereign Fibre - More of a common fibre but with some nice scrubby properties, supplier does not own this one but works closely with them. As far as I know I was first to acquire just the fibres from this manufacturer, so while I can't and won't speak for Simpson, given this information and the pricing difference, I believe it's reasonable to assume Simpson does not tie these fibres in-house (which would in-theory reduce the price).

Hope this helps you make an informed decision!

Top Bottom