What's new

Simpsons Super vs shavemac Silvertip

I have a Simpson Super and looking to buy another brush. Anyone have shavemac Silvertip 3 band (not a D01)?
Impressions of shavemac knot and comparisons to Simpson Super appreciated.

I can’t comment on the Simpson. The Shavemac 3Band Silvertip is like a cloud. Not a lot of backbone but enough especially for painting.

Reactions: d_e
I have a Simpson Super and looking to buy another brush. Anyone have shavemac Silvertip 3 band (not a D01)?
Impressions of shavemac knot and comparisons to Simpson Super appreciated.

From Shavemac Site:

Qualities from 1 to 10

Silvertip D01 Two Band
- Weichheit - Softness: 7
- Dichte - Density: 10
- Festigkeit - Strength/backbone: 10

Silvertip D01 (Three Band)
- Softness: 8
- Density: 10
- Strength: 9

Silvertip Two Band
- Softness: 9
- Density: 8
- Strength: 7

Silvertip (Three Band)
- Sofness: 10
- Density: 6
- Strength: 6

Shavemac is perhaps denser than Simpson. In matter of fact they have their knots really optimized.
The Shavemac Silvertip (Three Band) looks very similar to the Simpson Superbadger grade or Silvertip.

If I were you I would go for a Shavemac Silvertip Two Band or a Thäter Silvertip Two Band for now.
I have a Thäter in this grade and it's simply amazing, cloud soft, but with good backbone.
Shavemac nevertheless has an advantage: you can taylor your brush - from Knot/Loft to handle's shape and color.
Their configurator is very good.
And it's overall cheaper than Simpson.

I have three Shavemac nowadays: Silvertip D01 Two Band, Silvertip D01 and Silvertip Two Band. They're all very distinct kind of beasts, but all very special animals and quite different and specialized.
If you want to face lather go for a fan.
Simpson generally have an hybrid knot.
With Shavemac you can choose the shape.

I have also 6 Simpsons: Manchurian, Superbadger, Best Badger and Pure.
Don't get me wrong I adore my Simpsons as well.
My advise is with time buy them also.
That's the sortilege of badgers...

Happy Shaves, Bro.

Attachments

• 20230407_002418-01.jpeg
    20230407_002418-01.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 62
I was able to pick up a Beagle from BST, love the shavemac 2 band hair.

My Simpsons Super is a G3 with the knot set short at 23x46.5. It has some face feel, not floppy and a joy. One of my concerns is the shavemac won't be dense enough and will be floppy.

Part of the reason for this brush is I have all 3 Semogue Torga C3's and just for kicks inquired about a 3 band. Nope. The shavemac 120 handle is close in shape to the Torga so that would make a sort of phony "set".

Last edited:
From Shavemac Site:

Qualities from 1 to 10

Silvertip D01 Two Band
- Weichheit - Softness: 7
- Dichte - Density: 10
- Festigkeit - Strength/backbone: 10

Silvertip D01 (Three Band)
- Softness: 8
- Density: 10
- Strength: 9

Silvertip Two Band
- Softness: 9
- Density: 8
- Strength: 7

Silvertip (Three Band)
- Sofness: 10
- Density: 6
- Strength: 6

Shavemac is perhaps denser than Simpson. In matter of fact they have their knots really optimized.
The Shavemac Silvertip (Three Band) looks very similar to the Simpson Superbadger grade or Silvertip.

If I were you I would go for a Shavemac Silvertip Two Band or a Thäter Silvertip Two Band for now.
I have a Thäter in this grade and it's simply amazing, cloud soft, but with good backbone.
Shavemac nevertheless has an advantage: you can taylor your brush - from Knot/Loft to handle's shape and color.
Their configurator is very good.
And it's overall cheaper than Simpson.

I have three Shavemac nowadays: Silvertip D01 Two Band, Silvertip D01 and Silvertip Two Band. They're all very distinct kind of beasts, but all very special animals and quite different and specialized.
If you want to face lather go for a fan.
Simpson generally have an hybrid knot.
With Shavemac you can choose the shape.

I have also 6 Simpsons: Manchurian, Superbadger, Best Badger and Pure.
Don't get me wrong I adore my Simpsons as well.
My advise is with time buy them also.
That's the sortilege of badgers...

Happy Shaves, Bro.

Good description! YMMV for sure!

For me, the Shavemac 2-band is the pick of their litter!! (I have four!!) :popc::popc:

Top Bottom