What's new

Simpsons "Super" and the Emperor 1

I figure the Tulip knot can't be all that different from my M7 in Super, and my LE Astor in Best is probably at least as good as the knot in a 57.

I have all of those. The Tulip is quite different. It’s like a chubby, just a little less dense. So, really a cloud of badger. It’s one of my favorites, what I would recommend to a new badger person instead of a Duke, if they really want soft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1! That’s the WHOLE POINT!!

Whether you like them short and dense, like a Chubby, or tall and elegant, like an Emperor is just part of the fun! Plus, you ‘need’ one of the lovely Fifty Series, IMHO one of the underrated Simpsons!!
:a29: :a29::a29:

You know what's funny is that I put a 57 in my Maggards cart before checking out today. Left it there for an hour.

My justification during that time: "well it's not as expensive as the OTHER brushes I've been looking at, she won't throw me on the couch if I just don't make a big deal of it!"

Came to my senses and removed it. "Because if I get a 57 now then I'll have to wait longer to get an M7."

*Puts M7 best in cart because it's similar pricing.*

Removed the M7 because I will need to fork up for the custom brush from Paladin soon.

One last chance before I check out? *Looks at the M7 again* "I better not."

I recently dove back in to the search for an ideal Simpson brush, having given up for a while after being both disappointed by a Classic 1 and generally pleased with my Commodore X1.

This came in the form of an Emperor 1; I've always liked the look of the handle and the size seemed to be in the general neighborhood that I favor (small knot, low loft, more fan than bulb... though published Simpson knot dimensions are *ahem* inexact at best), so a sale price was all it took to push me over the edge into ordering one.

The result (for me at least) was that I have finally found a brush that equals or exceeds my other favorites (a TGN 20mm Finest fan I set in a hand turned dymondwood handle for my late father years ago and a custom Shavemac with 20mm fan shaped Silvertip 2-band knot).

I'm interested to know if the very dense and resilient character of the knot in my Emperor is typical of all Simpson Super bristle, or if Super is as variable as "Best", which in my experience runs the gamut from prickly to plush and nicely springy, to borderline floppy, with all shadings in between.

Either way, I think my search has ended with this knot/handle combo, hopefully it'll be many years before I go shopping for brushes again!

Are you bowl lathering or face lathering with the Emperor 1?

Are you bowl lathering or face lathering with the Emperor 1?

Face lathering, it may be a tall handle, but the loft and density of the E1 are fantastic for face lathering. I keep eyeing the E2 and E3, but taking a pass due to the much taller loft ratios.

I have 2 Omega boar brushes, a daily and a backup....totalling less than $30.

My first step back toward traditional wet shaving (I had quit using DE and canned goo, due to the poor quality of available DE blades, so this was Mach 3 and a brush) was to use a generic boar brush with pure olive oil bar soap... the OOS has terrible lather, but is very slick and good for my skin. I think it cost me $4 at the local natural foods coop and lasted 3 or 4 years before beginning to shed excessively, so I too have good memories of those "basic boar" brushes. However, I prefer a different face feel and more lather holding capacity as well and these days I can afford to indulge myself in having too many moderately expensive shaving brushes, so I do.

You know what's funny is that I put a 57 in my Maggards cart before checking out today. Left it there for an hour.

My justification during that time: "well it's not as expensive as the OTHER brushes I've been looking at, she won't throw me on the couch if I just don't make a big deal of it!"

Came to my senses and removed it. "Because if I get a 57 now then I'll have to wait longer to get an M7."

*Puts M7 best in cart because it's similar pricing.*

Removed the M7 because I will need to fork up for the custom brush from Paladin soon.

One last chance before I check out? *Looks at the M7 again* "I better not."

’To be continued!’ I predict that the next chapter will get interesting! :a29:

I own an Emperor 1 and I truly love this very soft fan knot. Emperor 2 is also great. I prefer fan or hybrid knots. They have more flowthrough and I prefer these types of brushes with soft creams using a bowl to lather. Great combination !

Top Bottom