What's new

Simpsons Special or Omega Mixed Midget?

Greetings, all!

In my search for a next brush (thanks for all advice in other posts), I feel that I've narrowed my choice to these two brushes.

1. I like smaller knots - they seem to work better for me as they splay the brush, so I can feel the tips of each bristle, rather than longer knots that work more like a paintbrush.

2. I like the stimulation I get from the scratch of the bristles. It feels great to me, and the sensation adds to my shave.

3. I'm looking to spend a modest amount on a next brush, as I explore the bristle to use to re-knot a vintage Ever-Ready that was my grandfather's.

I have tried an Omega 10049. It's a great brush, but it just doesn't meet my preferences above.

With these considerations, does one, either, or a different brush make more sense for a purchase?

Thanks for your input!
Frank

Greetings, all!

In my search for a next brush (thanks for all advice in other posts), I feel that I've narrowed my choice to these two brushes.

1. I like smaller knots - they seem to work better for me as they splay the brush, so I can feel the tips of each bristle, rather than longer knots that work more like a paintbrush.

2. I like the stimulation I get from the scratch of the bristles. It feels great to me, and the sensation adds to my shave.

3. I'm looking to spend a modest amount on a next brush, as I explore the bristle to use to re-knot a vintage Ever-Ready that was my grandfather's.

I have tried an Omega 10049. It's a great brush, but it just doesn't meet my preferences above.

With these considerations, does one, either, or a different brush make more sense for a purchase?

Thanks for your input!
Frank
The Omega is scritchy and available the Special in Pure afaik is not anymore. The Berkeley 46 Pure would be the closest current Simpson offering.

I say go Simpsons and if your Budget allows look for an Eagle G1/G2 otherwise the Berkeley.

6699878F-F796-47A6-AE1A-909AAB130C53.jpeg

15B0D5B5-356D-4639-BED8-D514660E0805.jpeg

C4727C4C-4B7E-49B5-9EE3-C643C3EB59A1.jpeg

Greetings, all!

Thanks for your input!
Frank

From what you describe, the Semogue Torga C3 Mistura (badger/boar mix) with 22 mm knot and 50 mm loft may fit your bill.
I have the slightly larger (24 mm knot) Torga C5 and it is an excellent brush with noticeable feedback from the tips at, what I consider, a reasonable price.

Here is a thread about this brush: The Mistura Torga is an underrated gem - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-mistura-torga-is-an-underrated-gem.616081/

B.

Last edited:
It’s been awhile, but I found the Special in pure to be very scratchy. I face lather and like some scrub too, but for me the knot wasn’t enjoyable.
If you’re looking to re-knot a handle you might also check out The Golden Nib, they sell a number of different badger grades and offer smaller knot sizes than most other places. Trying to remove a Simpsons of Omega knot might be difficult.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Simpson Special is a good brush, I've only got a best badger. I'd choose that first. It's got a much nicer handle than my tiny Omega which I made into a pure badger bulb. Nice for travel but I find the handle a bit small.

I like the Commodore X1 better than the Special (here next to the Omega)
full

If you're set on pure badger hair I'd opt for a Duke 1 or Berkeley.

@Multum in parvo suggestion of G1 or G2 in Pure is a good one with a knod to the G2. The 2 stays scrubby with a bit of scritch while it matures while the 1 remains more course. Good luck.

I am unfamiliar with the special. The Wee Scot is an iconic brush and was use as a sort of final exam for new brush makers. It is the only brush with Alexander Simpsons name on it. When you first see it you will say oh my this is tiny. Fear not, once you load it up it will impress you.

I'm not sure the info migrated to this thread from the one where he asked for suggestions originally, but he said his budget was $20 to $40/$50.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
The Classic 1 in Best is my fave Simpsons' small brush. A little larger than the Classic 1, the Eagle G2 in Pure badger is an outstanding brush. Pure is an acquired taste, however. Most men can't stand it.

The Classic 1 in Best is my fave Simpsons' small brush. A little larger than the Classic 1, the Eagle G2 in Pure badger is an outstanding brush. Pure is an acquired taste, however. Most men can't stand it.
I must be in the minority then. The two pure grade brushes (both perfecto brand) I used are decent brushes. Are they my favorite brushes? No they’re not. Would I recommend them? Yes I would. They’re a good entry level brushes for someone starting out

Top Bottom