What's new

Simpsons shaving brushes, are they really worth it.??

Love my Simpsons:
0956874C-F247-44E3-ACAD-4C8FEA9654A9.jpeg

Not a problem one among the bunch!

My experience is quite different than that of the OP. I own 30 shaving brushes. 12 of which are Simpsons. I have them in Best, Super, Silver tip, and Manchurian. They have all been great performers. I have not had any shedders. And even the Best Badger brushes are wonderful. I have brushes from other makers that cost up to $400 each. While I think some of them are more Beautiful than my Simpsons, I don’t feel they perform any better.

S

Scrubby

Are they worth it? - Yes. Next question. If you are willing to pay the Simpsons prices is another question that you have to answer yourself. Just listen deep inside yourself...... you want several...... just give in.......

It's a lot like buying a car. I've driven Nissan Sentras for years. Last year I bought a Lincoln Corsair. It cost me twice as much as a Sentra, but I love it.

Simpsons shed? I've got 3 Simpsons and none of them has shed more than 2 or 3 hairs lifetime.

There are other brands I tend to prefer, but I don't feel I have to trash-talk Simpson.

And by the way, I want to add that I have been using my Heritage collection shaving brushes for almost 2 weeks now, and it has yet to shed a single hair!!
In my honest opinion Semogues and Heritage collection shaving brushes are the best of the best money can buy!!
End of the story.
Well there you go.

Quit bashing Simpson and go use your Semogues and Heritage brushes.

This “block user” feature is super cool BTW. 👍

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Are they really worth it? Yes, they are. Simpson are legendary brushes, entirely hand-made by experienced hands and their designs are unsurpassed for beauty and functionality. Mr Mark Watterson, the Managing Director and owner, comes from a long established family of brush makers. Mark not only does his job with commitment, knowledge and passion, but he is also a true gentleman, a Supporting Vendor of our community and a great friend of mine.

I love Simpsons.

I checked in with Simpsons and this is their reply as to US pricing:

"£312 is including the VAT as you’re in the States the cost will be £260 plus shipping £19.95 Total cost £279.95 in USD I guess it’ll be roughly
279.95 British Pounds =
390.94137098677 US Dollars
1 GBP = 1.39647 USD
1 USD = 0.716092 GBP"

So, a brush priced at £312 will cost $391 USD after shipping.

Someone here recommended Elite and they have some beautiful brushes that they will set with a Manchurian or High Mountain knot. They are priced the same, so I am wondering how they differ in performance. Also, what are the benefits of bulb vs. fan shape?

I have a Chubby 2 in Best. I have had since around Christmas and have used about three to four times a week, with at least 36 hours in between shaves.

My brush shed slightly at first but has stopped. I have noticed a marked difference in how it lathers in the last month, and I suspect after about another 3 months of shaves, it will be fully broken in.

I enjoy mine. I face lather, and it does an outstanding job in that respect. The backbone of the bristles creates a great massage for the face and I often walk away from my second / final pass just going “wow.”

I have not had the experience of others who say this brush is a lather hog.

Someone once commented the Chubby 2 / Best is like driving on the highway in a nice sedan with extra leg room. I agree with that sentiment. YMMV

PS - I want one in Super.

They're very decent brushes, but over hyped and overrated in my opinion. Inconsistent hair grade performance (especially best) and most of the handles are the same boring variation of the same thing. Both of mine have crooked knots, but this doesn't seem to affect the shave.

Simpson makes a pretty decent brush, but there are better brushes available for more, equal or even less money if you know where to look. I've owned some Simpson brushes in the past but I no longer own them as I prefer others.

If you're looking to drop a bunch of cash on a Simpson brush, do know that in past years they have some really nice sales (substantial discounts) around the Christmas holidays.

I have two Simpsons in Best Badger: the Commodore X2 and the Berkeley 46. Acquisition cost was $40 - $50 each, and they areamong my favorite brushes that perform well with any soap. They are not shedders after 7+ years of regular use (well, the Berkeley 46 is less than a year old, but hasn't shed yet). Actually, I own three Simpsons, if you count Vulfix (owned by Simpson): I have a Vulfix in Super Badger acquired new for $40 or so eight years ago that is a great performer, although floppier than the Simpsons.

Regarding cost/value: these three brushes outperform a Muhle synthetic silvertip fibre brush that cost me $50+, although I have a RazoRock synthetic brush costing $20 or so that is nearly equal to my Simpsons.

Hope this helps.

First thing that comes to my mind when I hear the name Simpsons is "Shedding issues" Are Simpsons brushes worth the big price tag.?? Why they are so expensive.?? They are really tiny and nothing special about the hair grade.
hi there. Shedding issues is just a mater of luck to every brush company - you hear it a lot to Simpson brushes because they are among the most expensive between others in the market and when shedding phenomenas happens, customers are really disappointed (in conjunction w the price range they payed). Yes IMO they worth their price. Simpson consider a high End manufacturer (Vulfix - progress) representing years of English tradition (since 1919 i think) . Prices also has to do with a Name & a history behind those brushes. History is what you mostly pay for (eg. there are lots of fountain pens brands....Montblanc pens are outrageous priced...in Montblanc you mostly pay for the history of the pen). Hair grade..well this is something you cannot argue about Simpson brushes. I got Best - Super (that’s the Silvertip) & since yesterday i got their Manchurian. All are Awesome // 😉 i hope i helped.

Top Bottom