What's new

Simpsons shaving brushes, are they really worth it.??

I'd have to say in general Simpson brushes are not worth it. With Superior no longer selling Simpson buying online is a shape, loft and QC crap shoot. I have two brushes of the same model one is a perfect bulb the other about 2/3's the size and flat on one side. Another reknotted was member of the Order of Shedders. Two in Best I PIF'ed to sensitive skin noobs were so high lofted they were a floppy mess.

Consider this, shavemac knots are about as perfect shaped as one can get. Thier 2Band is arguably the best knot available anywhere. One can select the size and shape, along with handle shape and color all at a price comparable or in some cases less than Simpson.

Paladin provides outstanding brushes within their realm, including photographs and detailed specs of every single brush for less dinero than a Chubby 2 in 2Band.

However: Of the 11 brushes I have 7 are Simpson. Other than the Beagle I got off BST they are my favorite. I just emailed Mark last week inquiring about 3 bespoke builds. Are they worth it? No. Unless Simpson has what your looking for and you're willing to accept some uh, character. ;) Fellas we talking about a sawbuck or two. Really this is an affordable hobby.

Last edited:
Out of all the Simpson brushes I have there is one I would advice against. CH3 in silvertip badger. Loft is too high at 59mm and the brush is seriously under filled. The rest are great.

I have seven Simpson’s brushes (3 synthetic and 4 in best badger). None of the synthetic brushes have ever shed. Of the 4 badger brushes only my Classic 2 has been a shedder. Fortunately it has only shed about 20 hairs and most of them were in the first two or three uses. Now if I lose any it’s just 1 or 2. Do I think that they’re worth it? Absolutely I think they’re worth it

I guess I’m just lucky with 11 Simpson brushes of which 9 are best hair and only 1 (Wee Scot)shedded a total of 11 hairs in the first 2 lathers, and nothing after. The other best brushes may have lost 1-3 hairs total in the first or second lather. The one Manchurian and the T3 lost none. The knots are evenly shaped with soft tips. What I like most is the flow through on every single one of them, but for the record none are Chubbys.

I would also note of the 5 Shavemac brushes I own (4 are 2 band silver tip and 1 pure) 2 have minor issues. The 26mm 2 band fan had a hole in the center early on that did go away, and it also has a small strip on the top of one side that is shorter than the hair around it. Kind of like a buzz cut that does not affect the lathering but does effect the look. The other is a 22mm 2 band fan at 46mm loft that I tried to duplicate The Beagle. The knot is the correct size but under stuffed with little splay when compared to pictures of The Beagle.

I included the remarks on the Shavemac brushes to show that nothing is perfect. This would not stop me from ordering another Shavemac in the future.

As @Cannon Cocker has 11 Simpsons, I figured since I also have 11 (down from 24-25), I should post. 🤪

My 11 likely aren’t going anywhere. The Keyhole and Emperor 3 knots are a little small for me, but I still love them.

The Chubby 2 and M7’s are by far my favourite Simpson brushes.

Not one shedder.

• Simpson Chubby 2 Silvertip
  • Simpson M7 Best
  • Simpson M7 Manchurian
  • Simpson Tulip 3 Super
  • Simpson Polo 10 Best
  • Simpson Berkeley 48 LE
  • Simpson Beaufort B6 Pure
  • Simpson Wee Scot
  • Simpson Keyhole 1 Best
  • Simpson Classic 2 Best
  • Simpson Emperor 3 Super

As @Cannon Cocker has 11 Simpsons, I figured since I also have 11 (down from 24-25), I should post. 🤪

My 11 likely aren’t going anywhere. The Keyhole and Emperor 3 knots are a little small for me, but I still love them.

Not one shedder.

• Simpson M7 Best
  • Simpson M7 Manchurian
  • Simpson Tulip 3 Super
  • Simpson Polo 10 Best
  • Simpson Berkeley 48 LE
  • Simpson Wee Scot
  • Simpson Keyhole 1 Best
  • Simpson Classic 2 Best

Great selection!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Not one shedder.

• Simpson M7 Best
  • Simpson M7 Manchurian
  • Simpson Tulip 3 Super
  • Simpson Polo 10 Best
  • Simpson Berkeley 48 LE
  • Simpson Wee Scot
  • Simpson Keyhole 1 Best
  • Simpson Classic 2 Best
That’s an impressive collection!

20230507_113719.jpg

"Simpson Row" at my house (left to right):

Chubby 3 in Best
Trafalgar T3 (Sovereign Fibre)
Chubby 2 in Best
Chubby 2 Super
Chubby 2 LE (Sovereign Fibre)
Chubby 2 Synth (Platinum Fibre)
Duke 3 in Best

The Chubby 2 in Best is over 15 years old; the Chubby 3 I've owned for about 12 years; the Chubby in Super is about 6 months old. The Duke has been around for 13 years. None of them are shedders, even after this amount of time. I had lost hope that the Super would bloom as it was shaped like the LE and the Synth. Recently, however, it is starting to open up as I had hoped.

For me, Simpsons are definitely worth it- especially the Chubby 2 line. I keep the Duke around for my soaps that are in containers which cannot accommodate the Chubbys. I bought the 3 because of the great price on it (2nd owner) and if the 2 was great, then the 3 would be better. I use the Chubby 3 when I'm shaving for the joy of shaving and don't have to be anywhere. A true cloud of badger hair on my head & face.

Determine what you want in a brush and then look at the Simpson line. For history, quality, and performance, it can't be beat. look around, you'll see many other brushes (extremely good ones also that I own: Shavemac, Rooney, Canica, Chief, etc.) that mimic the Simpson line for a reason.

marty

I've got a question for y'all, I'm looking into getting the Chubby 2 Best and found one at both clubmanonline and dovoonline for a lower price than simpsonshavingbrushes. Just wondering if any of you know if they are legit Simpsons sellers. Their image shows a Chubby 3, and no mention or image of the Simpsons box. Also, would they back the guarantee against shedding issues (if it overdoes it of course). Or, do y'all recommend that I just pay the full price and order it direct from Simpsons?

I've got a question for y'all, I'm looking into getting the Chubby 2 Best and found one at both clubmanonline and dovoonline for a lower price than simpsonshavingbrushes. Just wondering if any of you know if they are legit Simpsons sellers. Their image shows a Chubby 3, and no mention or image of the Simpsons box. Also, would they back the guarantee against shedding issues (if it overdoes it of course). Or, do y'all recommend that I just pay the full price and order it direct from Simpsons?
You should be fine ordering from them given that they are the official sites for Pinaud Clubman and Dovo. But If there isn't much of a difference in price, I'd just order direct from Simpson.

You should be fine ordering from them given that they are the official sites for Pinaud Clubman and Dovo. But If there isn't much of a difference in price, I'd just order direct from Simpson
It's about a $31 difference before tax and/or VAT. Lower price being with clubmanonline.

It's about a $31 difference before tax and/or VAT. Lower price being with clubmanonline.
Then order through Clubmanonline, they are the official website of Pinaud Clubman. First make sure that shipping costs are comparable, otherwise shipping might close that gap of difference.

Then order through Clubmanonline, they are the official website of Pinaud Clubman. First make sure that shipping costs are comparable, otherwise shipping might close that gap of difference.
I believe it’s free shipping on orders over $50 👍. I’m just concerned about the way they present the images, and hope they don’t send me the brush where I can’t tell that it’s brand spanking new lol. For example, no Simpsons box. But I think you’ve convinced to bite the bullet with them. Thanks!

I believe it’s free shipping on orders over $50 👍. I’m just concerned about the way they present the images, and hope they don’t send me the brush where I can’t tell that it’s brand spanking new lol. For example, no Simpsons box. But I think you’ve convinced to bite the bullet with them. Thanks!
I wouldn't worry. If it is coming from those website, I would just about guarantee that they will send you your Simpson brush in its Simpson box.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I may be totally wrong here but I suspect that if you are ordering from the US then you may not pay VAT on a brush direct from Simpson. You might find the final price 20% lower than the one quoted, and the deduction could be applied when you enter the delivery address as being outside the UK. As a test I would add a brush to your basket and go through the purchase process up to the final payment point to see exactly what you are paying. Don't forget that the US Dollar to GB Pound exchange rate favours a US buyer at the moment. If you buy direct from Simpson you also have the option of limited edition handles and Manchurian hair etc. Good luck.

Top Bottom