What's new

Simpson's poll

Do you have one or more Simpson brushes?

• Yup

• Nope

Results are only viewable after voting.
I, once again, have a Duke in best badger. For years I used a Duke 2 as my only brush until I pretty much wore the knot away. I re-knotted it with a cheap silvertip from Virginia Sheng, but it was nowhere near the brush it had been. Since then I've bought and sold a few Duke 2 and Duke 3 brushes; some shed and some just didn't have the same feel as that original Duke 2. Yesterday, however, I received a Duke 3 from the BST that is just a larger version of my old favorite. I think this is the main plus and minus of Simpson's brushes: if you get a good one, it is a great brush and well worth the premium over some of the cheaper brushes but you can't always count on getting a good one.

I have a Simpson Chubby 3 in Super Badger. I really enjoy the feel of it on my face. I try to limit how often I use it, and by doing that, I appreciate it that much more each time I do get to use it. You can’t go wrong with Simpson.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chubby 2 Super
Polo 8 Best
Wee Scot

I use the Chubby almost every day. Wee Scot was a novelty buy, but it works better than I expected, so I often travel with it for short trips. The Polo was my first, but I like the feel of the Chubby a little better. I still use the Polo occasionally for variety.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have a deep blue Duke 3 Manchurian which I love. I also have a tortoiseshell best Wee Scot and a synthetic Chubby 2, both of which I enjoy. I use a best Duke 1 as my travel brush. Over the years I have owned several Simpson brushes, the Chubby 2 and 3 in best and super but I found then far too big and clumsy and sold them. I have had several other Manchurians including an M7 and a 58, both of which I sold as I did not use them. I have had Persian Jars which I found too floppy. The only Simpson brushes I covet now are a Manchurian Chubby 1 and Manchurian travel brush, perhaps a Duke 1 or Classic 1, or if I am very lucky a QEII Jubilee. My brush of choice now is Semogue, especially the Foro Afeitado Limited Editions. Simpson Manchurian brushes are excellent, and if you can get a good example then so are the best brushes, but for me the variety in quality, and lack of consistency make Simpson brushes an expensive gamble I am no longer willing to take.

I have a deep blue Duke 3 Manchurian which I love. I also have a tortoiseshell best Wee Scot and a synthetic Chubby 2, both of which I enjoy. I use a best Duke 1 as my travel brush. Over the years I have owned several Simpson brushes, the Chubby 2 and 3 in best and super but I found then far too big and clumsy and sold them. I have had several other Manchurians including an M7 and a 58, both of which I sold as I did not use them. I have had Persian Jars which I found too floppy. The only Simpson brushes I covet now are a Manchurian Chubby 1 and Manchurian travel brush, perhaps a Duke 1 or Classic 1, or if I am very lucky a QEII Jubilee. My brush of choice now is Semogue, especially the Foro Afeitado Limited Editions. Simpson Manchurian brushes are excellent, and if you can get a good example then so are the best brushes, but for me the variety in quality, and lack of consistency make Simpson brushes an expensive gamble I am no longer willing to take.

You should try a Tulip. It’s like splitting the difference between a chubby and Persian jar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
You should try a Tulip. It’s like splitting the difference between a chubby and Persian jar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks - I had a Tulip 3 in super but found it too big, probably because of the loft. Otherwise it was a nice brush. I only purchase Simpson brushes in Manchurian these days and with the current fashion for large brushes they do not seem to make many smaller Manchurian offerings without doing a custom order. Anyway, it helps me to stop buying as I am told I have enough brushes!

During the period 2010-2012, I went through 10 Simpson brushes, including chubby 1, Duke 2/3, Berkeley, Commodore X1/X2, Classic and a couple of others.

The only one I keep in my den is the Commodore X2. This brush is perfection! The handle is my favorite of all the 100+ brushes I've ever owned. The Best grade knot is magical with a very unique presence/face feel. It's the perfect size and density and despite the density, the lather release is great.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

(that's the Colonel under the lather)

OT slightly but oh my....lovely hifi good sir....:a14:

I have a duke 3 in best and on black friday I acquired a chubby 3 in super, half price! Haven't used it yet, I'd heard they were densely packed but Wow!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I don have any Simpson brushes. So far they are out of my price range. So far......

I recently picked up a Simpson Special S1 in super badger. I like it. Its a small brush but it seems very soft and for face lathering it should be just about perfect.

Top Bottom