What's new

Simpsons "Platinum Grade" synthetic questions

Fwiw, I was someone who did not like a Chubby 2 synthetic - I found it basically to be too much soft fiber. And the lather sat deeply towards the handle. Just didn’t work for me. Sold it. And then I found the Simpson synthetic I would highly recommend: the M7. Longer handle is the right size; the fiber density and feel is right and no more lather just piling up towards the handle Have used it for a week now and it’s the first synthetic I’m keeping (I’ve tried six others now). And not that expensive if you order from Simpsons directly.

Fwiw, I was someone who did not like a Chubby 2 synthetic - I found it basically to be too much soft fiber. And the lather sat deeply towards the handle. Just didn’t work for me. Sold it. And then I found the Simpson synthetic I would highly recommend: the M7. Longer handle is the right size; the fiber density and feel is right and no more lather just piling up towards the handle Have used it for a week now and it’s the first synthetic I’m keeping (I’ve tried six others now). And not that expensive if you order from Simpsons directly.
I, too, did not care for the Chubby 2 synthetic, although perhaps for different reasons. I'm also one of the few who did not like the Trafalgar 2. I like the idea of owning a Simpsons synthetic, but the M7 at over $100 is a bit too steep a price for me. I recently received a Yaqi "Mink" synthetic brush that I prefer to both the Chubby 2 and T2. It cost me less that $15 shipped.

Can someone tell me why these "next gen" fibers are soo special? I was looking to buy a T3 but I'm not convinced that it'll be much different than something like a Tuxedo. Is it just the backbone that has improved?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Can someone tell me why these "next gen" fibers are soo special? I was looking to buy a T3 but I'm not convinced that it'll be much different than something like a Tuxedo. Is it just the backbone that has improved?
I think with the Simpson Trafalgars you are paying for the handle and the name. I think the fibers aren't any better than those sold elsewhere.

Good backbone and soft tips.

The Trafalgar series are excellent IMO and not that expensive. The sovereign knots are excellent. Not much risk in trying one. If you hate it, resell it and you might lose $5-10. I like my T1/2 more than my Yaqis in any case.

The Simpson Platinum knots are in the higher end brushes and are a lot more $$$. Are they worth it? I dunno. I only have the Classic synth and it is not a $50 brush IMO and I am not alone in that opinion. I’m very disappointed with it. I have a $100 M7 synth coming next week and I am hoping I love it as it is very highly regarded.

I think with the Simpson Trafalgars you are paying for the handle and the name. I think the fibers aren't any better than those sold elsewhere.

The knot to loft ratio on the Trafalgar series is stouter than other mainstream synths, IMO that's what elevates them ...honestly, I think the "sovereign" bristle is basically identical to what's in my previous gen. Petrol Head, just packed tighter and lofted short.

I'm still really baffled by the tunnel vision that's on display in synthetic bristle design, *everyone* seems to be fixated on making the next generation of fiber *even softer*. Obviously Simpson understands that bristles like Pure and Manchurian are desirable to some of us, otherwise they'd only produce brushes in Best and Super like some other makers.

I have a Yaqi inbound that's lofted 22/45 in tuxedo, I'll be interested to see how it compares to the T1.

The chubby 2 is an excellent brush, soft but with backbone and splay if you want that. It loads quickly, and makes lather in seconds, creamy rich lather. I like it better than the premium badger brushes.

Good backbone and soft tips.

The Simpson Platinum knots are in the higher end brushes and are a lot more $$$. Are they worth it? I dunno. I only have the Classic synth and it is not a $50 brush IMO and I am not alone in that opinion. I’m very disappointed with it. I have a $100 M7 synth coming next week and I am hoping I love it as it is very highly regarded.

IMO, the Classic 1 synth is a brush that could only be useful for travel and then it's still low on my list. If the density and loft ratio successfully scaled down from the Chubby 2's proportions as far as density at the tips, splay and ultimate knot profile I think it would be an awesome compact synthetic, but the fact that it *doesn't* splay and essentially keeps it's "as new" pointed profile cripples it.

As a premium priced brush (even at the 'rossa discount price), it *really* doesn't deliver... my disappointment in the RR Amici (which suffers from similar, though less extreme issues to the Classic 1 synth) was much easier to get over at only $12 mis-spent.

I'm torn over whether to pass the lackluster performance of my CL1syn on to another shaver, or to drill out the knot and set a nice 2-band one in the beautiful, but too small handle.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
but the fact that it *doesn't* splay and essentially keeps it's "as new" pointed profile cripples it.
To my way of thinking, Simpsons nails knot diameter and loft as it pertains to badger, but they've got some re-thinking as it pertains to synthetics judging from the many forum comments similar to yours.

I think a wee bit less density, or a little more loft, or a less stiff fiber... something has got to give because currently the handles only seem slightly more difficult to splay than the knot.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
IMO, the Classic 1 synth is a brush that could only be useful for travel and then it's still low on my list. If the density and loft ratio successfully scaled down from the Chubby 2's proportions as far as density at the tips, splay and ultimate knot profile I think it would be an awesome compact synthetic, but the fact that it *doesn't* splay and essentially keeps it's "as new" pointed profile cripples it.

As a premium priced brush (even at the 'rossa discount price), it *really* doesn't deliver... my disappointment in the RR Amici (which suffers from similar, though less extreme issues to the Classic 1 synth) was much easier to get over at only $12 mis-spent.

I'm torn over whether to pass the lackluster performance of my CL1syn on to another shaver, or to drill out the knot and set a nice 2-band one in the beautiful, but too small handle.
I know how you feel. I had a Classic 1 Synthetic and for me it was an appalling travesty not fit to bear the Simpson name. I sold it on the bay to someone buying their first Simpson brush and I was embarrassed to do so. I repeatedly stressed to them that it was a very poor brush and not representative of the Simpson brand but they insisted on buying it. Oddly it is one of the few sales I regret making, I wish instead I had reknotted it or buried it in landfill. I still feel bad about it.

@awa54 I also feel the synthetics aren't quite there yet and ,like you, I prefer small knots.
The brush that has surprised me was the Muhle 31H250 (21mmx48mm). It does need a few shaves to loosen up the knot a bit and splay more naturally but then it starts to feels great.

The Yaqi is a disappointment... similar density to "average" synthetics, which in that small a knot, means it doesn't lather all that well and holds significantly less lather than a similarly sized badger. Face feel is firm and the tips have a little texture, so that's in the plus column, but as usual IME it's another miss.

The RR Bruce, Trafalgar 1 and Chubby 2 synth remain the best "fakes" in my den.

The Yaqi is a disappointment... similar density to "average" synthetics, which in that small a knot, means it doesn't lather all that well and holds significantly less lather than a similarly sized badger. Face feel is firm and the tips have a little texture, so that's in the plus column, but as usual IME it's another miss.

I did not like the Trafalgar 2 nor the Chubby 2 synthetic brushes. I saw above that the Yaqi you tried was a Tuxedo. I had the Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tuxedo and agree with you that it was not dense enough. So far the synthetics that I still own are two Yaqi brushes: a 26 mm Rainbow and a 24 mm Mink. The Rainbow, which is often referred to as a faux horse, I've had for quite a while. The only negative might be a lack of backbone, but I've always found it to be more than adequate for both face lathering and bowl lathering. The Mink I received recently and have with me as the sole brush on a 15 day trip. I've been using it to face lather every day with a puck of RazoRock What the Puck soap with excellent results. It has more backbone than the Rainbow but still splays very well. The soft tips are great for painting strokes.

You might want to talk to Andrew at AP Shave Co. He has various handles and knots, including fans and hybrid knots. He will also set the loft to what you want. Tell him what you are looking for and see what he recommends.

EclipseRedRing

I think a wee bit less density, or a little more loft, or a less stiff fiber... something has got to give because currently the handles only seem slightly more difficult to splay than the knot.
The odd thing is that early Chubby 2 Synthetics had a higher loft than the current 50mm. My early brush is labelled as 'synthetic badger' rather than the current 'synthetic bristle' but is the same Platinum fibre. The big difference is that it is lofted at about 54mm, it splays well and is a joy to use. Mine is shown below on the right.

20201103_161317.jpg

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The odd thing is that early Chubby 2 Synthetics had a higher loft than the current 50mm. My early brush is labelled as 'synthetic badger' rather than the current 'synthetic bristle' but is the same Platinum fibre. The big difference is that it is lofted at about 54mm, it splays well and is a joy to use. Mine is shown below on the right.

View attachment 1224372
This gets interestinger and interestinger.

View attachment 1224372

I see it.
Is the Synthetic X2L actually available?

EclipseRedRing

I see it.
Is the Synthetic X2L actually available?
No, the brush was released in limited numbers for the opening of a shop in Palermo called 'Worldhair Vintage' on 1st December 2018 in conjunction with Goodfellas Smile; the shop is now closed I believe.

forum.jpg

The Duke 3 synthetic is $65 now down from $80, so I have one inbound. I'm hopeful that it'll be the best of the bunch (I'm dead certain the handle will be my fave of the three regularly available Platinum fiber brushes), at which point my CH2 can move along to a new owner who'll appreciate the larger form factor more than I do.

I'll report back after I get a few shaves in with it. For the time being though, I'm liking the Omega Black Hi-Brush I tagged on to my G&C order a few weeks back. It seemed thin and floppy when dry, but once lathered it's satisfyingly firm and scrubby, in a way that no other synth so far has been... not bad for less than $30 with an olive wood handle!

Top Bottom