What's new

Simpsons new PLATINUM Synthetic Brushes Anyone?

As much as I like Simpsons brushes, their inconsistencies has turned me off from buying any more. I currently have 3 M7 Platinum, the faux Ivory and Tortoise are my favourites but when I ordered the butterscotch it was so scritchy that I don't even use it. I reached out to them and their response was that they don't have control over the materials they receive so the current batch was not the same as the previous one. I also enjoy using the T2 but not as often the the M7s. Before switching completely to synthetic I mostly use Simpson badger brushes and I was okay with the inconsistencies with badger hairs since they are natural products but I didn't expect it from synthetic fibres.

As much as I like Simpsons brushes, their inconsistencies has turned me off from buying any more. I currently have 3 M7 Platinum, the faux Ivory and Tortoise are my favourites but when I ordered the butterscotch it was so scritchy that I don't even use it. I reached out to them and their response was that they don't have control over the materials they receive so the current batch was not the same as the previous one. I also enjoy using the T2 but not as often the the M7s. Before switching completely to synthetic I mostly use Simpson badger brushes and I was okay with the inconsistencies with badger hairs since they are natural products but I didn't expect it from synthetic fibres.
That’s weird. I love Simpson but am well aware of their badger knot “variation” issues. I wouldn’t have expected that with their synthetic knots though.

I have Platinum bristled M7 and Chubby 2 brushes and they are both amazing. I also have a Classic Platinum and I can’t stand it. Not likely a QC issue, just a poorly designed brush/knot. 🤷‍♂️

I always suspected synthetic would have variation issues too. Sorry you got one that was so scritchy that you couldn't use it. I've heard of some synthetics displaying that, but it's just so hard to wrap my head around that. I haven't experienced even one that is mildly discomforting. Everything is a bit too soft for my liking actually.

I always suspected synthetic would have variation issues too. Sorry you got one that was so scritchy that you couldn't use it. I've heard of some synthetics displaying that, but it's just so hard to wrap my head around that. I haven't experienced even one that is mildly discomforting. Everything is a bit too soft for my liking actually.
Same. Aside from the first gen brushes, which are made with what, for all intents and purposes, is basically monofilament fishing line, they all feel too soft for me.

...and the first gen brushes is like rubbing a brillo pad on your face.

The Sovereign bristles are grey (a classy grey) whereas the Platinum bristles are badger coloured.

I find it hard to say Platinum is better than Sovereign. I find Sovereign slightly softer and easier to splay. But now that I’m used to painting motions only, they both work equally well. The Trafalgar 1 is pretty much as good as it gets. The others are nice to have if one is bored and has money to spend. Collecting them really is irrationally addictive isn’t it.

I own 4 Simpson synthetic brushes. One is sovereign grade and three are platinum grade.
Of the 10+ synthetic brushes I own, the best brush is Simpson Platinum Synthetic, but the worst was also Simpson Platinum Synthetic.
I contacted Simpson and got the same answer as you.

Attachments

• IMG_2535.png
    IMG_2535.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 116
That’s weird. I love Simpson but am well aware of their badger knot “variation” issues. I wouldn’t have expected that with their synthetic knots though.

I have Platinum bristled M7 and Chubby 2 brushes and they are both amazing. I also have a Classic Platinum and I can’t stand it. Not likely a QC issue, just a poorly designed brush/knot. 🤷‍♂️

Agree about that Classic 1 design, the loft is too thin, probably the necessary compromise to fit in its travel tube. The Trafalgar 1 and Chubby 1 are similar sizes but much more ergonomic.

Agree about that Classic 1 design, the loft is too thin, probably the necessary compromise to fit in its travel tube. The Trafalgar 1 and Chubby 1 are similar sizes but much more ergonomic.
I’ve never been a big fan of the size of the Classic 1. Just too small for me. 22mm is definitely the smallest size I would go for and even then some of them are too small for me

I own 4 Simpson synthetic brushes. One is sovereign grade and three are platinum grade.
Of the 10+ synthetic brushes I own, the best brush is Simpson Platinum Synthetic, but the worst was also Simpson Platinum Synthetic.
I contacted Simpson and got the same answer as you.
Hey so I just ran into a similar conundrum- I bought a duke 3 with "synthetic bristles" but I fear they might be the old platinum fibers. Out of curiosity, you said that the best and worst you've used is Simpson Platinum Synthetic- could you be more specific- which did you prefer/ dislike and why? Also I have a running theory that the old platinum by Simpsons was repurposed as the Sovereign fiber. Given you have both- would you say this theory holds up? or do you reckon the old platinum might still be better than the sovereign fiber? Thanks!

I am afraid we may be heading into a mess. (No, this is not a political post. :sneaky2:)

Trying to gather impressions and reviews about the new Simpsons Platinum synthetic brushes, I found several threads after the introduction of the Platinum Grade where posters responded to questions about the new grade, some of them seemingly referring to earlier (now Sovereign grade) Simpsons synthetics without paying attention to the difference between Sovereign and Platinum.

Simpsons wrote me a few days ago that they ‘have a full range of our Simpsons handles available in sovereign and in due course will have the same available in the platinum (synthetic) range’.

First I thought that shavers might tell the two grades apart by the colour of the handle (e.g. Sovereign Chubby 2 in white faux ivory, Platinum Chubby 2 in black faux ivory), but recently the venerable faux ivory white Chubby 2 became available in Platinum too.

Can you tell the difference?

View attachment 1584333

View attachment 1584331

You have to look twice to see that the Sovereign Grade has ‘Sovereign Fibre’ written on it, while the Platinum Grade has ‘Synthetic Bristle’ written on it - ‘Synthetic Bristle’ just like my 2018 Simpsons synthetic. :confused1
No matter how much I like the brande, I don’t think Simpsons did themselves any favours with this… :001_unsur

Be that as it may, could you share with me your impressions about the NEW Simpsons PLATINUM synthetic brushes and - if I may ask - refrain from commenting about earlier Simpsons synthetic unless you make it abundantly clear that this comment refers to the earlier Simpsons synthetic?

I am afraid that in the future shavers will have a hard time telling reviews and comments about the two different synthetic fibres apart.
So we might as well help to clear the picture here, can we?

Thank you for your inputs.

B.

(pictures courtesy Simpsons)
I am new here and appreciate the opportunity to share experiences. I recently acquired a Chubby 2 platinum (Synthetic Bristle) and currently own 7 Simpson badger brushes, 3 Manchurian, 3 2-band and one super chubby 3, which although stunning in Tortoiseshell, is my least favorite; mopey, too big and minimal backbone, but quite soft. My favorite is a Somerset chubby 2 Manchurian, which has yet to be duplicated in its abundant satisfaction and quality. I love my 2-bands as they are less of a lather hog, have good backbone and are quite soft on the face.

Turning to the chubby 2 "platinum", I was more impressed than expected; very, very soft tips and tons of backbone, possibly even more than my Somerset, but about 10 shaves in, it is still very difficult to splay, which sometimes I like (when bowl lathering), but can be a little difficult for face lathering. That said, it is surprisingly good if splay is not a priority (and even that may improve with more use). It doesn’t absorb water like a badger, but it is sufficient to whip up a fantastic lather in a bowl or scuttle from a hard soap (lately I’ve been enjoying the Canada shaving soap which has impressed me). I bought the synthetic chubby 2 at a very attractive price recently and didn’t expect much, but overall, I feel like a got considerably more than my money’s worth, and am now considering a Chubby 3 platinum direct from Simpsons, thinking the larger knot might be useful given the lack of splay. Candidly, when I first received the "synthetic bristle", platinum Chubby 2, I was so impressed that I started to question whether this could actually replace a badger chubby, and although that perception was short lived, I remain impressed and recommend it highly, especially if splay is not a need of yours.

Top Bottom