What's new

Simpsons Manchurian

So there are a few different models of the Simpson Manchurian available on their website. I currently have a Chubby 1 and Chubby 2 in Super Badger, a Wee Scot, Commodore XL in Best, Case in Best, Berkeley in Best. I also have the Saponificio Varesino in Manchurian (rumored to be a Simpsons knot), but who really knows. The SV brush is actually fantastic.

I would like to compare/try a Simpson's Manchurian, just out of curiosity, and TBH, the Manchurian Simpsons have some really handsome handles. I almost grabbed a Chubby 2 (3's are just really big for me, the SV is probably similar). Then the thought occurred to me, should I limit it to the Chubby? Would one of the following in Manchurian be a better choice? Is the difference marginal enough that the Chubby's I already have in Super I won't notice much difference?

Anyone with greater knowledge and opinions on these brushes in Manchurian? I've never tried any of these brushes regardless of hair grade.

Special Edition Colonel X2L Manchurian​

Special Edition Classic 1 Manchurian​

Captain 2 Manchurian​

Special Edition Tulip 3 Manchurian​

Special Edition M6 Manchurian​

M7 Manchurian Badger​

The Rover Manchurian​

Special Edition 58 Manchurian​

Special Edition 59 Manchurian​

Special Edition Emperor 3 Manchurian​

Polo 10 Manchurian​

Special Edition Polo 12 Manchurian​

Duke 3 Manchurian​

Eagle 3 Manchurian​

Polo 14 Manchurian​

I tend to like knots that lean toward a shorter loft knot, densely packed. Any and all suggestions and opinions welcome and appreciated.

Duke 3 is kind of Goldilocks so a good first Manchurian, Eagle G3 would be my personal pick.

8A08B61B-E417-4C0F-B40B-2DA5AF7C8DBA.jpeg

I had the Duke 3 Manchurian and sold it, a little to much face feel for me.

I also had a SV Manchurian, and their knot is wonderful and absolutely not a Simpson’s knot.

If you really like the SV and you want a Simpson’s you should absolutely no doubt in my mind whatsoever go for the 2 Band Silvertip, if you like the Chubby handle just email Simpson’s and they will send you pictures of available colors.

The 2 band Silvertip will give you the softness of the Super but more backbone.

Hope that helps.

Doug

Haven't used Manchurian yet (the only Simpson grade I don't have), but can wholeheartedly recommend the Eagle and M7 handles.

And I got to say, that's cool as heck that they offer the X2L in Manchurian.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Is the difference marginal enough that the Chubby's I already have in Super I won't notice much difference?
Simpson three band Super could not be more different to Manchurian, it is the complete opposite. Super hair is thin, has little backbone unless in a densely packed Chubby, blooms a lot, and is cloud like soft. It is my least favourite Simpson grade by far, and I would not consider owning it after having owned and sold a few. I face lather and like a lot of backbone and scrub, Manchurian hair is thick, has firm backbone, blooms very little so the knots look and perform smaller than the same knot in Best or Super, and has alot of scrub and sometimes scritch. Manchurian is my favourite grade ahead of Pure and Best, with Super nowhere. I have not tried 2 band Silvertip but it sounds like it might be a better fit for you. Good luck 👍

Super is my favorite grade (they have plenty of backbone and scrub in my opinion, and is a vastly superior hair grade compared to Best Badger) followed by Manchurian, which is very stiff yet soft, but can be scritchy in the first 20-50 uses, especially short lofted models.

My favorite Manchurian models are the Chubby and Polo, but I admit they were an acquired taste initially

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have two Manchurian's, a M6 and a T3. Personally, I do like the hair a lot, and believe it is the best of the Simpson line-up, unless you have a chance to find a vintage one in the old Two-band super.

I had the Duke 3 Manchurian and sold it, a little to much face feel for me.

I also had a SV Manchurian, and their knot is wonderful and absolutely not a Simpson’s knot.

If you really like the SV and you want a Simpson’s you should absolutely no doubt in my mind whatsoever go for the 2 Band Silvertip, if you like the Chubby handle just email Simpson’s and they will send you pictures of available colors.

The 2 band Silvertip will give you the softness of the Super but more backbone.

Hope that helps.

Doug
So you would skip the Manchurian altogether?

3 band Super and their 2 band hair whether it be Manchurian or 2-band silvertip are very different hairs. I have no experience with Manchurian other than what i've read here. But it's Simpson's priciest hair and probably the best "quality". Just because it's the best quality hair they offer doesn't mean it will be the best for you. I think the 2-band silvertip is pretty spectacular hair and the softest feeling- for an every day shaver with little growth this hair is the probably the answer. If you're a guy that likes to shave every few days and grows a tough beard, likes backbone and scrub- maybe that Manchurian hair is for you. I think that even if one prefers Manchurian hair it might be overkill on a CH2 or CH3 handle because there is so much hair. I would personally choose a different brush handle if you need to experiment- maybe a Duke 3- if you hate it then sell it.

Yes, I absolutely would skip it from what you are telling me you like.
So, it it's not too much trouble, let's focus on the difference between the SV Manchurian and the Simpsons Manchurian. The top end of knot diameter for me is really the SV Manchurian, or the Chubby 2. I had a Chubby 3, and returned it before using it because the diameter was just too big. I do like the strong backbone and soft tips t type feel. For reference, I have a Rooney fan tip beehive in super, and it takes up more face real estate than I like. So, as you know, when you have an acquisition disorder, I literally really need another brush like I need a hole in the head, what about something like the Colonel 2XL with a faux jade handle? 21MM, bigger handle, shorter loft. BTW, Semper Fi! Were you a Hollywood Marine? That Jade Handle is pretty dope.

1660255336904.png

The SV Manchurian is much more similar to the Simpsons 2 band Silvertip, the SV is almost 30mm at the top of the crown.

The Chubby 2 is 28mm, if you want something the size of the SV knot when splayed then the
Chubby 2 , 2 band Silvertip is what you want, if you want something smaller I would go with
Duke 3, 2 band Silvertip . The Duke 3 is 23mm.

I have a theory that Best/Super and Manchurian/SiLVERTiP are different grades of the same hair batches. I have no evidence of this. Just a hunch.

Super is the choice pick of the Best/Super hair. It’s generally thinner and softer although you can get best that just as soft. Super is a safe bet with less face feel and zero scritch guaranteed. In a blind test you wouldn’t always pick the difference.

The difference between Manchurian and SiLVERTiP is similar but even more distinct. It hard to mistake these two. Both have more back bone than the three band but Manchurian takes this to the extreme. SiLVERTiP is guaranteed to be soft and springy. Manchurian is always robust and can have a hint of scritch sometimes.

Manchurian if you like scrub and tend to mash your brush. Manchurian is tough and fights back. Usually firm with soft tips. Varies a little batch to batch.

SiLVERTiP for the perfect balance of softness, flow through, springy backbone and splay. Reasonably consistent.

Super if you want three band and don’t want to gamble on Best batch variance.

Best if you want a solid all-arounder with some face feel. Some batch variance. Sometimes as soft as Super. Sometimes but rarely a hint of scritch.

Last edited:
I have a theory that Best/Super and Manchurian/SiLVERTiP are different grades of the same hair.

Super is the choice pick of the Best/Super hair. It’s generally thinner and softer although you can get best that just as soft. Super is a safe bet with less face feel and zero scritch guaranteed. In a blind test you wouldn’t always pick the difference.

The difference between Manchurian and SiLVERTiP is similar but even more distinct. It hard to mistake these two. Both have more back bone than the three band but Manchurian takes this to the extreme. SiLVERTiP is guaranteed to be soft and springy. Manchurian is always robust and can have a hint of scritch sometimes.

Manchurian if you like scrub and tend to mash your brush. Manchurian is tough and fights back. Usually firm with soft tips. Varies a little batch to batch.

SiLVERTiP for the perfect balance of softness, flow through, springy backbone and splay. Reasonably consistent.

Best if you want a solid all-arounder with some face feel. Some batch variance. Sometimes as soft as Super. Sometimes but rarely a hint of scritch.
That is completely correct Tomo

I have a theory that Best/Super and Manchurian/SiLVERTiP are different grades of the same hair batches. I have no evidence of this. Just a hunch.

Nailed it.

I like some scrub and find the Manchurian to be right up my alley. Solid backbone, springy shafts and soft tips with some scrub. I’ve not had the chance to have a Simpson “Silvertip” yet but it’s on the list when one with the right handle comes along.
No one presented a strong enough argument to dissuade my tendency to be what my wife calls "burro", so I pulled the trigger on the Jade Colonel 2XL. Oh the shame of it.

If you find the Colonel 2XL has too much scrub for you, I know a guy who would be interested..

A great choice in my opinion! Let us know what you think when it arrives!

Top Bottom