What's new

Simpsons Manchurian

I do know that hair batches vary...sometimes quite a bit.
The Manchurian batch I experienced was not to my liking.
If Im paying top dollar I want soft and luxurious, with just
the right amount of backbone. This was not.

I think I am more of a high mountain badger kinda guy.

Nailed it.

I like some scrub and find the Manchurian to be right up my alley. Solid backbone, springy shafts and soft tips with some scrub. I’ve not had the chance to have a Simpson “Silvertip” yet but it’s on the list when one with the right handle comes along.

If you find the Colonel 2XL has too much scrub for you, I know a guy who would be interested..

A great choice in my opinion! Let us know what you think when it arrives!
I actually just based it on the knot dimensions being within 1 or 2 mm of brushes I already have. Oh, and the bitchin’ jade handle.

I do know that hair batches vary...sometimes quite a bit.
The Manchurian batch I experienced was not to my liking.
If Im paying top dollar I want soft and luxurious, with just
the right amount of backbone. This was not.

I think I am more of a high mountain badger kinda guy.
Believe it or not I have an Omega Silvertip that would be right up you alley. My first silvertip bought about 11 years ago. Still gets trotted out on occasion, and it’s like a firm pillow.

Just to be clear, my Manchurian is on the scritchy side and I like this. I would describe my Shavemac 2-band silvertip as less scritchy. I have not had the opportunity to use a Simpson silvertip.

The challenge with using words like luxurious is they are subjective. I would probably avoid using the word luxurious for my Simpson Manchurian, but I would use luxurious for my Shavemac 2-band silvertip :).

My guess is the Simpson silvertip would also be to my liking.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Just to be clear, my Manchurian is on the scritchy side and I like this. I would describe my Shavemac 2-band silvertip as less scritchy. I have not had the opportunity to use a Simpson silvertip.

The challenge with using words like luxurious is they are subjective. I would probably avoid using the word luxurious for my Simpson Manchurian, but I would use luxurious for my Shavemac 2-band silvertip :).

My guess is the Simpson silvertip would also be to my liking.
Feeling/liking of badger hair is a very subjective thing. What the one guy likes is the worst for another one. My own personal experience was with Rooney Finest grade, pretty much everyone was praising this hair. Finally I was able to score one. Felt great when dry, but when wet in use, it felt like Nato wire on the face. I could not use it at all, and had to sell it.

No one presented a strong enough argument to dissuade my tendency to be what my wife calls "burro", so I pulled the trigger on the Jade Colonel 2XL. Oh the shame of it.
Update when you get it! Mine in best is fantstic- looking forward to your take on the manchurian variant.

The Duke 3 is 23mm.
The Duke 3 in silvertip is on the smaller side but it feels larger on the face. It's actually perfection if you don't like large brushes. If you like big then i think a CH2 in 2 band silvertip is going to be Nirvana on the face.

One thing i've learned about badger brushes- a guy that shaves every day and one that doesn't will tend to like very different brushes. Get a couple days growth on the face and you'll want some scrub and backbone to move the hairs around. If you have hours of growth you'll want more soft. I think it's a good thing to consider when choosing a brush.

The Duke 3 in silvertip is on the smaller side but it feels larger on the face. It's actually perfection if you don't like large brushes. If you like big then i think a CH2 in 2 band silvertip is going to be Nirvana on the face.

One thing i've learned about badger brushes- a guy that shaves every day and one that doesn't will tend to like very different brushes. Get a couple days growth on the face and you'll want some scrub and backbone to move the hairs around. If you have hours of growth you'll want more soft. I think it's a good thing to consider when choosing a brush.
Completely agree

I have two Manchurian's, a M6 and a T3. Personally, I do like the hair a lot, and believe it is the best of the Simpson line-up, unless you have a chance to find a vintage one in the old Two-band super.
I agree with this completely, and I snap up every brush in Two Band Super that I can find.

I have a number of Simpson Manchurians, and they are some of my favorites. The Duke is always nice, but the Colonel X2L Manchurian is the greatest bargain on the Simpson site!.. IMHO.

At least for me, I'm a daily shaver and my Chubby 2 Manchurian gets used very often, as well as my shavemac do1. If I had multiple Manchurian chubby 2's, I could see myself using one everyday. It does soften up a bit with time. I have the silvertip chubby 2 as well and that rarely gets used. I do have thick facial hair that grows out quickly. My Manchurian chubby 2 is significantly more dense than my chubby 2 silvertip and the Manchurian hair is visibly coarser. Silvertip has pretty good backbone and very soft tips, almost zero scritch. The Manchurian on the other hand has scritch and tons of backbone with soft tips, which I enjoy.

I also love firm mattresses, but most don't. I think you won't know till you try it. Very subjective... If you don't like it, buy a silvertip and sell the Manchurian. None of the 3 band Simpson's will compare to any of their 2 band options. That is just my opinion.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
So there are a few different models of the Simpson Manchurian available on their website. I currently have a Chubby 1 and Chubby 2 in Super Badger, a Wee Scot, Commodore XL in Best, Case in Best, Berkeley in Best. I also have the Saponificio Varesino in Manchurian (rumored to be a Simpsons knot), but who really knows. The SV brush is actually fantastic.

I have no idea how to answer you in a manner I know will be helpful.

7-23-22.SV.Tortoise.Cocobolo.Horn.3.640.JPG

The SV brushes are fantastic as you said.

8-2-22.Sailor.CanadaSS.CH3.Manchurian.640.JPG

I have only one Simpson Manchurian but it doesn't seem at all like the SV knots.

8-17-21.CH2.TwoBand.WolfmanWR2.1.15.Vitos.640.JPG

Not like the Simpson Silvertip Badger (two band) either.

The SV brushes hit a sweet spot for me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

That red handle is really stunning. Question on the Brut A/S. I have that one, as well as the one in the plastic bottle. I find the one in the glass bottle to be slightly weaker. Have you tried both and noticed anything similar?
No, I only ever saw the one in the glass bottle for offer here in Europe.

I live in the US and bought Brut Original "Made in Italy" by Unilever from a seller on eBay in India. Good green juice. If you are an aficionado of green juice, you should try it. I placed my order on Feb 22 and received the juice on May 18.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Simpson three band Super could not be more different to Manchurian, it is the complete opposite. Super hair is thin, has little backbone unless in a densely packed Chubby, blooms a lot, and is cloud like soft. It is my least favourite Simpson grade by far, and I would not consider owning it after having owned and sold a few. I face lather and like a lot of backbone and scrub, Manchurian hair is thick, has firm backbone, blooms very little so the knots look and perform smaller than the same knot in Best or Super, and has alot of scrub and sometimes scritch. Manchurian is my favourite grade ahead of Pure and Best, with Super nowhere. I have not tried 2 band Silvertip but it sounds like it might be a better fit for you. Good luck 👍
I have used the 3 Band Super in a couple of brushes. This hair really excels in the smaller brushes. In fact, in the Chubby 1 I think it's a perfect brush. The Chubby 1 in Super is a face lathering dream. The Chubby 2 in Super performs very differently for me, so I sold it. It just isn't the right hair for a larger brush in my opinion. But in the smaller Size 1, I think Super makes for a perfect brush. I also have a 2 Band Silvertip and a Manchurian in the size 2 and love them both. I think in this size, the Silvertip is perfect and the Manchurian is sort of a niche tool when I want a lot more scrub.

Ok, so just finished the shave of the evening. Went with Tabac. First shave with the Manchurian. So first the photos:

Initial lather off the puck of Tabac:

IMG_2022.jpg

That was the typical 30 seconds of loading. This thing absolutely murders hard soaps. Probably could load for 15-20 seconds, and the backbone just scrapes everything off the puck with each swirl.

IMG_2023.jpg

Here is a shot after the first pass of building lather on the face. You can see the lather has gotten a bit more solid, with a more yogurt like consistency. I actually added a touch of water for the second pass for a hint more slickness, which helped the second pass.

IMG_2024.jpg

Second pass complete, and the post rinse boom. So what does a newbie to the Manchurian line up think? So first of all, I love the handle. The Faux Jade is awesome. The knot feels of great quality, and it did not drop a single hair on the first use. Handle shape is very comfortable as well, I could see this working for many regardless of the knot. The Colonel handle is ergonomically pleasing. I gave it a sniff after the soak before lathering, and it definitely had some solid funk (pretty much gone now, everyone should have tabac on hand just for brush defunking). Ok, scratch that, my 7 year old just told me the brush smells like "sort of skunk and sort of old man" so maybe one more lather? As @Chan Eil Whiskers said in an earlier post, this is not anything like the SV, so I think we can consider that myth busted. The SV has backbone as a result of incredible density, with really soft tips. The Simpsons Manchurian is different altogether. I do not believe the Colonel is typically considered an over stuffed brush, but the backbone exhibited was pretty much off the charts. The tips were not Gel like in any way. There was alot of scritch on this first shave, and we will see if that subsides a bit.

Overall for a first shave I am thoroughly impressed. I cannot give a reference to compare it to as it is different than any other brush I have used to date. It is certainly not a pillowy luxurious experience. On the other hand, it created the lather from Tabac that is the stuff of legend from the old days of B&B. I have never gotten as creamy a lather from Tabac as I did tonight, so that alone will be worth soldiering on with this brush. I just went and brushed it with the top of my hand and drew it across my face, and it did not seem as scritchy as the first use, so I am anxious to see how it feels with tomorrows shave. This may be my first badger that actually requires some breaking in.

Top Bottom