What's new

Simpsons M7

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Of course. If you look around this and other forums, you will find older posts (2012-2015 circa) where people mention their M7s had 25mm knots. Currently, Simpsons advertises it as 22mm knots. Hence the possibility that they have reduced the size of the knots for these brushes at some point.

I was considering an M7 because I wanted something in Manchurian larger than a Chubby 1 but smaller than a Chubby 2. As it seems, the M7 is not exactly it. I forgot to mention that I owned the M6 TSN LE back in the day and did not care for it.
Thank you, that is interesting. I have seen considerable variety in the knot sizes and lofts of Simpson brushes often by as much as a couple of mm so some brushes of the same model are larger than others. I do not know if the official stated knot size of an M7 or any other Simpson brush has been reduced by Simpson over the years, perhaps @A.E. Simpson 1919 can confirm this? I know what you mean about the M6, it is lacking a little density, it will never be my favourite Simpson Manchurian but for me it offers a variety which I enjoy 👍

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
The problem with the TSN LE M6 Manchurian is that every Tom, Dick, & Harry on that site offered input into how the knots should be lofted and Simpsons listened to them rather than doing what they know how to do much better than some punter on a discussion board. It was ridiculous. As a result the knots weren't what they should have been. I have an M6 LE Manchurian from 2020 and it is an outstanding little brush.

Thanks for all your helpful comments gents.

One of the posts was from was from someone in Canada, like myself, who referred to Alrossa as a site to buy from. Is that preferable to the Simpson's site?

From what I see, the only way to get a M7 Manchurian in butterscotch is to order it from Simpsons.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Thanks for all your helpful comments gents.

One of the posts was from was from someone in Canada, like myself, who referred to Alrossa as a site to buy from. Is that preferable to the Simpson's site?

From what I see, the only way to get a M7 Manchurian in butterscotch is to order it from Simpsons.
Correct - Manchurian, two band SiLVERTiP, and non ivory coloured handles are only available from the Simpson web site. I have not used Alrossa but it seems highly regarded.

Being of the belief that where as Simpson knots are fine...Shavemac knots are better.
Also, the Simpson decal does not impress me all that much, but I DO like the M7 handle.
So what's a poor boy to do???
Call Rudy Vey!!!
No worries; great product, no crazy shipping expense, all is well!!!

Being of the belief that where as Simpson knots are fine...Shavemac knots are better.
Also, the Simpson decal does not impress me all that much, but I DO like the M7 handle.
So what's a poor boy to do???
Call Rudy Vey!!!
No worries; great product, no crazy shipping expense, all is well!!!

And who and where is Rudy Vey?

7A084558-6502-43B8-8FF0-17512D079926.jpeg
55E80C19-EB35-423C-87D9-3B573B093E08.jpeg
B9FA305B-97F6-46B5-86CB-603275CD1F5F.jpeg
344D5373-FCE0-480C-8F03-B6E2071F04F5.jpeg
9A97E9C8-0439-43D1-9B1C-CC0494D2C83B.jpeg
BFF499EE-BA0D-4D0E-AE55-E39692750781.jpeg
152CF7A5-044B-4F2B-932E-3A2E646F70AC.jpeg

Rudy Vey is a superb craftsman. Here are some of the brushes he has made for me over the years.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
One of my favorite handle styles - mine measures 24.5 mm by 51 mm high. Interesting regarding the knot size though - my example is at least 5 years old (photo borrowed from the BST thread of purchase)
1616087186079.png

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

I have a 7 year old LE Manchurian M7 (2014) that I recall being about 24.5mm. I got another Manchurian a few years later about the same, and in 2018 I bought a Best and a Super M7 and they're both right around 24mm. I have 2 LE synthetic M7s from 2018 and they are 24mm as well. I don't think the knot size has changed at all.

Just measured my 3 for you...

They all have 61-62mm handles, 50mm lofts and 24mm knots (Best, Manchurian and synthetic). Varies by 0.1-0.2mm on the knots.

None of them feel small on the face at all. The badgers splay nicely. The synth is a bit more challenging. I only face lather...
I totally missed this post, sorry. Very useful information and exactly what I was looking for

Owen Bawn

One of my all-time favorites.

proxy.php
I love that photo. Every time you post it I smile. How would you compare that era Simpsons 2 band knots to some of your own 26mm offerings? I have a few Simpsons 2 band Dukes, and 5 of your brushes. Personally, taking knot shape and size differences into consideration I find the quality of the knots comparable, which means that for me there is tremendous value in 26mm Paladins. To be honest I couldn't afford a Simpsons M7 custom 2 band, but I seem to get something from you every 6-12 months.

Top Bottom