What's new

Simpsons M7

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
The problem with the TSN LE M6 Manchurian is that every Tom, Dick, & Harry on that site offered input into how the knots should be lofted and Simpsons listened to them rather than doing what they know how to do much better than some punter on a discussion board. It was ridiculous. As a result the knots weren't what they should have been. I have an M6 LE Manchurian from 2020 and it is an outstanding little brush.
This is one problem we have had here on B&B as well. When a brush project is discussed publicly in the forum, in regards to shape, material and knot, then there is never an outcome. It was tried a few times in the past, but all those projects fizzled away...100 guys, 100 opinions on what is should be. All other brush projects I was involved in, and there were quite a few (incl 3 LE's) were discussed in a small group and then the project was presented to the group. This is the only way it works for a forum brush.
BTW, my TSN M6 is great, 22 knot at 45/46 loft.

Lovely photos, thanks for that.

I've been in touch with Rudy today. Very nice fellow.

Turns out he lives near my brother in NJ. Years ago I had sent my brother a bunch of pieces of tropical fruit hardwood from my orchard in Hawaii, hoping to turn them to brush handles.

My brother has been too busy, but now that I know about Rudy, we're now sending the collection of Macadamia nut, mango, etc etc over to Rudy to play with.

I suppose I'll be posting pictures eventually.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I love that photo. Every time you post it I smile. How would you compare that era Simpsons 2 band knots to some of your own 26mm offerings? I have a few Simpsons 2 band Dukes, and 5 of your brushes. Personally, taking knot shape and size differences into consideration I find the quality of the knots comparable, which means that for me there is tremendous value in 26mm Paladins. To be honest I couldn't afford a Simpsons M7 custom 2 band, but I seem to get something from you every 6-12 months.

That was my first attempt at an artistic brush photo. I was born in Savannah, GA in 1953 while my dad was stationed at Hunter AFB. I think that hobo was probably my first toy.

I've carefully avoided comparing other makers' knots, past or present, to ones we've set. But what I'll say about that M7 Super is that it became an enduring point of reference for me. Although, as I recall, the nominal size was something like 23.5 mm, it feels larger than the knot in the 24 mm M&F L7 that inspired the 2013 M&F Group Buy Chief. That's why I requested 25 mm knots for the group buy brushes.

We've set knots that I consider to be on a par with my Butterscotch M7's, but I can't say I've ever had a brush that I liked better based on more-or-less objective criteria (of course I have a natural preference for brushes made with knots we've set into our own handles).

What I importantly learned from that brush is that I prefer moderately dense, 2-band, semi-bulb (i.e., ice-cream scoop) knots over anything else I've tried. That isn't to say I don't enjoy variety (I do!), but if I could only have one brush, it would have a knot like that one. I'm not saying it's best. I don't give much credence to anyone who claims to have discovered the best knot. It's just strikes the right chord for me.

Hat off to A.E. Simpson 1919. (I haven't figured out how to tag other members. Maybe a mod will do that for me.)

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
That was my first attempt at an artistic brush photo. I was born in Savannah, GA in 1953 while my dad was stationed at Hunter AFB. I think that hobo was probably my first toy.

I've carefully avoided comparing other makers' knots, past or present, to ones we've set. But what I'll say about that M7 Super is that it became an enduring point of reference for me. Although, as I recall, the nominal size was something like 23.5 mm, it feels larger than the knot in the 24 mm M&F L7 that inspired the 2013 M&F Group Buy Chief. That's why I requested 25 mm knots for the group buy brushes.

We've set knots that I consider to be on a par with my Butterscotch M7's, but I can't say I've ever had a brush that I liked better based on more-or-less objective criteria (of course I have a natural preference for brushes made with knots we've set into our own handles).

What I importantly learned from that brush is that I prefer moderately dense, 2-band, semi-bulb (i.e., ice-cream scoop) knots over anything else I've tried. That isn't to say I don't enjoy variety (I do!), but if I could only have one brush, it would have a knot like that one. I'm not saying it's best. I don't give much credence to anyone who claims to have discovered the best knot. It's just strikes the right chord for me.

Hat off to A.E. Simpson 1919. (I haven't figured out how to tag other members. Maybe a mod will do that for me.)
You are a true gentleman. I wasn't trying to put you on the spot, but I see that I inadvertently might have done so. Sorry.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
You are a true gentleman. I wasn't trying to put you on the spot, but I see that I inadvertently might have done so. Sorry.

Thanks. I'm sure not everyone would agree that I'm a true gentleman. In any case, there was nothing wrong with your question. It's a perfectly reasonable one to ask.

If German is still around, he'd be a good person answer it. He has broad experience with both Simpsons and Paladin brushes, and I loaned him the Butterscotch M7 in the photo before we moved back to Colorado from Kansas City. His comparative impressions of it were a topic of discussion over dinner at a German (no surprise) restaurant. And he doesn't pull any punches. I'm sure he'd give his honest opinion.

Last edited:

Great tribute from a true gentleman!! :a29:

I am tempted by the M7. If I were a bowl latherer, there is no question that it would be in the den!!

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I am tempted by the M7. If I were a bowl latherer, there is no question that it would be in the den!!

FWIW, I'm strictly a face latherer and have been for years. It's just as comfortable and enjoyable for me to use an M7 as a Chubby or a 2XL. The difference between 50 and 70 mm in handle height doesn't matter much in my use. I just unconsciously adjust.

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
FWIW, I'm strictly a face latherer and have been for years. It's just as comfortable and enjoyable for me to use an M7 as a Chubby. or a 2XL. For me the difference between 50 and 70 mm in handle doesn't matter much.
I agree. You know, @BigJ, I have never used a bowl in my life yet my fave brush handles are the Simpsons M7, that I have in synthetic, Best, Super, & Manchurian, and 2 Paladin Chiefs and one Paladin Mandarin, each of which is about the same height as the M7 handle. I also own a Paladin El Dorado and a Cleo, which also have relatively long handles. Each is a delight for face lathering. I never have slippery lather on my fingers.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
+3 I go back and forth between bowl & face, but always finish with some degree of face-lathering. The M7 works for both. The Chubby style brushes clang on the sides of the bowl sometimes, but the M7 and others similar as Owen points out go both ways

I agree. You know, @BigJ, I have never used a bowl in my life yet my fave brush handles are the Simpsons M7, that I have in synthetic, Best, Super, & Manchurian, and 2 Paladin Chiefs and one Paladin Mandarin, each of which is about the same height as the M7 handle. I also own a Paladin El Dorado and a Cleo, which also have relatively long handles. Each is a delight for face lathering. I never have slippery lather on my fingers.

Interesting! This helps explain why I love the Simpsons 57 which is also in the ‘statuesque’ mold.

May need to reconsider the M7!! :a29:

Top Bottom