What's new

Simpsons Long handle - short loft?

Hi, I‘m looking for a somewhat early X-mas treat...

I‘m bowl lathering and use boars 9 times of 10, owning only one badger brush. I would like to have a longer handle and as much backbone and scrub that is possible for badger.

So question No.1 Pure or Best?

Q2 which model? Based on the stats from their homepage something like a Captain 2, 58, Polo 8 or Beaufort 6 might fit the bill?

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I prefer Simpson Best second only to Manchurian as it has a combination of soft tips and good backbone although the quality can be a bit variable from one brush to another. I find the Super grade splays too much and lacks backbone so would discount that in your case. The Pure offers a prickle if you like that and I have one Pure grade Simpson which I enjoy very much. It is however a vintage brush so I cannot vouch for the current Pure grade. I suggest however that many find it a bit too scritchy so I would avoid it unless you know you like that quality in a brush. Regarding a long handle, I can recommend the 58 as being suitable for bowl lathering but if you can get it I strongly advise an M7 which are available in Best occasionally. The Polo is not available in Pure grade I believe. I would choose a dense brush with a low loft if you can, as close as possible to the loft being twice the knot size in order to maintain the backbone. I would discount the Beaufort, and the Persian Jar for that reason. Good luck.

You are looking at some great options! To answer your questions:

1. Some like Simpsons pure grade, but I much prefer their best. (If I were getting a pure grade, I would consider Simpsons Eagle which is very tempting.)

2. I like Simpsons 50 series! Currently I have a 57 that I really like! I had a 56 that was almost as good. But you should pick the handle and loft that ‘speaks’ to you.

Enjoy!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

@BigJ

I do like the look of the Captain 2 which is pretty close to the M7? and the Polo.

Best price I could get in Europe for a Captain 2 in Best is USD 120.00, they also have a Commodore X3 for USD 80.00.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Hi, I‘m looking for a somewhat early X-mas treat...

I‘m bowl lathering and use boars 9 times of 10, owning only one badger brush. I would like to have a longer handle and as much backbone and scrub that is possible for badger.

So question No.1 Pure or Best?

Q2 which model? Based on the stats from their homepage something like a Captain 2, 58, Polo 8 or Beaufort 6 might fit the bill?
If you can, go for Manchurian or Super grade hair, Best can be hit and miss.

I bought a Captain 2 at TOBS in London last year. Certain it was less than $120 USD. Regardless, it has become one of my favorite brushes.
Rudy Vey made a custom run of Barber handle brushes with his Manchurian knot a couple years ago. Excellent brush. Maybe he could make you something similar???
IMG_3622.JPG

Screen Shot 2020-10-22 at 12.02.50.png

Last edited:
@ Rudy, Manchurian is north of 300.00 so I guess an investment for live. For someone that ploughs his face most of the time with 7-8 dollar Omegas and Zeniths quite a step :c9:

@Acmemfg importing from the US is not my most favored option with shipping costs, duty and tax piling onto the original price but your brush is definitely a stunner!

So I went with a Captain 2 in Best to see how I like it. I’ll also try out a Zenith in Manchurian to see if I am able to feel the difference. Should the Manchurian blow me away then I will have a look at the Simpsons Manchurian range again before X-mas. :c9:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Excellent choice. I've been tempted by the Captain myself. The Zenith Manchurian is one of the best values in badger brushes. I have and enjoy two of them.

The Captain should be a very fine choice!! Let us know how you like it (PLEASE). :thumbup: :thumbup:

Just be aware that there are no standards for badger grading, so “Manchurian” from different manufacturers is likely to be very different.

I currently have a Chubby 1 and a Major in Super; a Classic 2 and a Duke 3 in best but the hair feels just like the Super and a Wee Scot in best. The Wee Scot is far more scritchy than the other best brushes but very usable. I briefly had a Case in best which I found far too scritchy for my taste.

From my experience, Super does not disappoint and if you are lucky, best may be just as good but it also might be disappointing. In my small and completely unworthy of ever being called a representative sample, the quality of the best hair is better in the more expensive styles.

Simpson's super remains the softest I've ever used. It certainly lacks backbone compared to my Zenith manchurian and my Razorock Chubby (silvertip). I'm in love with that handle (506), My Thater 4670 is my favorite that ticks all of your boxes, but it is another hundred.

Top Bottom