What's new

Simpsons label

Think more ... isn’t Britain Great or a Great Britain. Alexander Simpson was unarguably a Great Britain.

So many interpretations & fun.
Since it's a first-world question, that is a first-world response, though perhaps not a first-world answer. Glad to see Simpson represented on the forum. Or is it Simpsons? Still not clear on that one.
:confused2

Made me look! Mine all do say "Great Britain," although I prefer the term Pritanī for the greater island, and Ellan Vannin for the lesser. :001_smile

Last edited:
Simpson brushes are among the very best in the world, proudly handmade by skilled workers in the old traditional way.
That's all that really matters to me.
This comes up every few years, and honestly, I do not care what they write on the label: England, UK, Isle of Man, Great Britain or whatever. They make very decent brushes, and this is what really counts....
^ This is indeed what counts. :cornut:

SIMPSON - SIMPSON'S - SIMPSONS :a31:
It's nice when things are grammatically correct, but now that so many company directors (and the like) communicate themselves, rather than through a secretary (trained in the correct use of spelling, grammar, and punctuation — unlike their bosses)... these things have gotten somewhat "out of hand."

Anyone who is into copy editing, proofreading, etc will have many :001_rolle moments reading Simpson's website pages.

Even product knowledge seems somewhat dubious at times. They call their synthetic badger hair "synthetic bristle."
  • Badger HAIR
  • Boar BRISTLE
1596761573285.png

Then of course, when you discover that all grades of badger hair are EXACTLY the same, you'll probably pick the least expensive (unless you know better). But I digress, that's not what we were talking about.

Grammar-Not-2.jpg
Grammar/spelling/punctuation are dying arts.

But in the long run, nobody's perfect... and it's the PRODUCT itself that matters.

Simpson brushes.

The Simpsons made them for decades.

A.E. Simpson's family no longer owns the business.

A brush made by the company is a Simpson.

If you have more than one such brush, you have Simpsons.

If your brush is amazing, your Simpson's great.

If a descendant of the founder owns multiple brushes, then Simpson can call his brushes Simpson's Simpsons.

Simpsons are not Simpson's if they are owned by someone who is not a Simpson.

But they are still Simpsons.

And man, are they good brushes.

Simpson brushes.

The Simpsons made them for decades.

A.E. Simpson's family no longer owns the business.

A brush made by the company is a Simpson.

If you have more than one such brush, you have Simpsons.

If your brush is amazing, your Simpson's great.

If a descendant of the founder owns multiple brushes, then Simpson can call his brushes Simpson's Simpsons.

Simpsons are not Simpson's if they are owned by someone who is not a Simpson.

But they are still Simpsons.

And man, are they good brushes.
You said nothing about Simp's male offspring.:)

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
The Isle of Man was never part of the United Kingdom- the UK represents the union of the kingdoms of Scotland and England in 1707 and Scotland, England, and Ireland in 1801. It's all confusing.
Made me look! Mine all do say "Great Britain," although I prefer the term Pritanī for the greater island, and Ellan Vannin for the lesser. :001_smile
Interesting. Manx descends from the same linguistic root as Irish; in the middle ages they were the same language, & until the C19 they were essentially dialects of the same language. They're obviously written differently. Manx is written out so that an English speaker can sound out the words phonetically, while Irish is written in a manner so confusing that after 12 years of compulsory Irish in schools less than 5% of the population speak it each day. The letter "V" does not exist in Irish, though the sound is all over the place, usually denoted with an 'h' inserted after a consonant. So in Irish Isle of Man would be written 'Oileán Mhanann,' though it would essentially be pronounced very closely to the way your "Ellan Vannin" sounds. The V sound in this instance is created by the letters 'Mh.'

The Isle of Man was never part of the United Kingdom- the UK represents the union of the kingdoms of Scotland and England in 1707 and Scotland, England, and Ireland in 1801. It's all confusing.

Interesting. Manx descends from the same linguistic root as Irish; in the middle ages they were the same language, & until the C19 they were essentially dialects of the same language. They're obviously written differently. Manx is written out so that an English speaker can sound out the words phonetically, while Irish is written in a manner so confusing that after 12 years of compulsory Irish in schools less than 5% of the population speak it each day. The letter "V" does not exist in Irish, though the sound is all over the place, usually denoted with an 'h' inserted after a consonant. So in Irish Isle of Man would be written 'Oileán Mhanann,' though it would essentially be pronounced very closely to the way your "Ellan Vannin" sounds. The V sound in this instance is created by the letters 'Mh.'

:thumbup: My many greats came from County Armagh, and spouse is second generation County Galway, so I sympathize! Most of my Gaeilge I learned at my Mother-In-Law's knee, who could curse in it like a mairnéalach! I suspect fluency in the Irish tongue is a lifelong exercise, bar living in the Gaeltacht....

Top Bottom