What's new

Simpsons Duke or Chubby?

I'm wondering if anyone has tried both and what their preference is. The ones I'm looking at are the Duke D2 best vs. the Chubby CH2 best. I know the specs but I'm wondering about feel, lather, knot density... pretty much anything that doesn't pertain to the spec sheet. Thanks in advance for any and all opinions/information.

I have both a Chubby 1 and a Duke 2 and will not part with either!! Both are terrific brushes!! :a14::a14:

I doubt you could go wrong with either so I’d suggest going with your preference on the specs. I have Duke 2 in best. It’s a very nice brush.

The Duke 3 would be a better comparison with the Chubby 2. The Chubby is a very dense luxurious brush that takes a lot of soap and takes some break in time to develop decent flow through. The Duke is less dense and has better flow through out of the gate. Neither brush has a glue bump, so the listed loft is the true loft. The Duke will use about half the soap as the Chubby. Both have decent backbone.

I would recommend the Duke 3 in Best as well. For me, it holds just the right amount of soap, has the right mix of backbone/softness and has the most comfortable handle I’ve ever used. The Chubby 2 is great as well but the handle is a little larger than I like and the density makes it take longer to dry.

The Duke 3 would be a better comparison with the Chubby 2. The Chubby is a very dense luxurious brush that takes a lot of soap and takes some break in time to develop decent flow through. The Duke is less dense and has better flow through out of the gate. Neither brush has a glue bump, so the listed loft is the true loft. The Duke will use about half the soap as the Chubby. Both have decent backbone.

@Cino gave great advice. I recently acquired the Chubby CH2 in Best and a Duke 3 in Manchurian Badger. And my findings with a first shave from each match Cino's description exactly. The Chubby 2 in Best is definitely dense and full feeling. The knot is definitely scrubby, I'd say scritchy, maybe even a little scratchy but only when compared to the top of the line badger hair knots that I have (Simpson's Manchurian and Brad Sears 2-band Select Badger). The Simpson's Best is definitely soft and better than most entry level badger hair by other manufacturers. The Duke 3 had much better flow through and was less dense and full than the Chubby 2, even with Manchurian Badger. Of course I found the tips of the Manchurian Badger softer than the Best. The density of the Duke 3 being less I found the brush to be less scrubby, but still performed a face lather exceptionally well.

I have a Duke 3 in Best and Chubby 2 in Best. The Chubby is superior, IMHO. It is an incredibly dense brush that makes incredible lather. I don't find it scritchy - but it does have some backbone. If I had to pick one it would be the Chubby.

I agree that I prefer the luxurious feel of the Chubby. I guess I was trying to remain neutral. It really depends if you like dense brush that hogs lather a little more or a brush with flow though, good backbone, but more flop due to the decreased density. It's not to say the Duke 3 is floppy, just in comparison to the extremely dense Chubby knot.

Wow awesome info guys, I think this might be a very difficult decision. I might have to get both, lol. My wife would kill me. How about this; if I could possibly get both, what should I get first? A Duke 3 or Chubby 2?

I've own a Duke 3 in best, chubby 1 in super, and chubby 2 best. The ch1 in super is hands down my favorite. It is about the same size knot as the Duke, but denser. The super hair is luxurious and worth the extra money imho. I should note that I face lather and prefer the shorter chubby style handle to the Duke, but the Duke handle would probably be more appealing to a bowl latherer

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

flow through equates/relates directly to ease of lather building in the larger brushes, in my humble experience. Those which you don't have good flow through need to be squeezed repeatedly during lathering to bring the very wet and sloppy out of the center of the more dense brushes to incorporate with the lather on the outside of the brush on the bristles and in the bowl or on your face.

I have both a Duke 3 and a Chubby 2 and I echo Cino’s opinion. I would say if you’re looking for a daily driver the Duke 3 is better, plus the handle is more ergonomic IMO. The flow through is noticeably better and it’s easier to splay and release lather while still providing excellent backbone. The Chubby is denser and more luxurious for sure but it’s absolutely a lather hog and requires a bit more effort to load and lather with. For me it’s a brush I use for a nice weekend shave and I absolutely love using it. I think eventually you’ll want both but I’d recommend starting with the Duke 3 and see if Simpson’s best hair is for you.

I do a four pass face shave and two pass on my head. I load my Chubby once and have enough lather for all those passes.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I have yet to try a Duke. I have had a Chubby in Super as well as in Manchurian. Great brushes, but sold both as they were lather hogs. I feel a Duke may release lather a bit better by being less dense but I can't confirm this.

Great info guys, and a lot to digest. I really just want to buy them all, but that's not possible.

It hurts buying them all, trust me. HA HA:lol:. But I'm beyond curious and I figure if I don't care for them, some good deals will be up on the B/S/T. I am enjoying exploring though.

I have both a Duke 3 and a Chubby 2 and I echo Cino’s opinion. I would say if you’re looking for a daily driver the Duke 3 is better, plus the handle is more ergonomic IMO. The flow through is noticeably better and it’s easier to splay and release lather while still providing excellent backbone. The Chubby is denser and more luxurious for sure but it’s absolutely a lather hog and requires a bit more effort to load and lather with. For me it’s a brush I use for a nice weekend shave and I absolutely love using it. I think eventually you’ll want both but I’d recommend starting with the Duke 3 and see if Simpson’s best hair is for you.
+1. The Duke is more of a daily driver and easier to use. I'd start with that. I did start with that.

Ok, thank you for all your help guys. I'm going to save my pennies and start with the Duke. I really appreciate all the info.

Top Bottom