What's new

Simpsons Duke 3 or Chubby 2

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
The difference between your Classic 1 in Best vs Silvertip, compared to the Duke 3 in the same grades is astonishing. Is the Silvertip Classic 1 difficult to splay?
I have the Classic 1 in SiLVERTiP. I will be charitable and say it's my least favoured Simpson brush. Ever. Out of nearly 25 Simpsons. A terrible disappointment, as I have a Berkeley 46 and two Duke 3's in that grade and they are all extraordinary knots.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have the Classic 1 in SiLVERTiP. I will be charitable and say it's my least favoured Simpson brush. Ever. Out of nearly 25 Simpsons. A terrible disappointment, as I have a Berkeley 46 and two Duke 3's in that grade and they are all extraordinary knots.
Interesting, I have a Classic 1 Best which is excellent. Conversely, I had a Classic 1 synthetic which was the worst brush of any hair and by any maker that I have ever used. I wonder is such small brushes do not suit stiff two band hair, perhaps that is why I have only seen the Wee Scot in Best and Super.

Owen Bawn

Interesting, I have a Classic 1 Best which is excellent. Conversely, I had a Classic 1 synthetic which was the worst brush of any hair and by any maker that I have ever used. I wonder is such small brushes do not suit stiff two band hair, perhaps that is why I have only seen the Wee Scot in Best and Super.
Indeed. My Classic 1 in Best is a fantastic little brush. I originally bought it as a travel brush but it gets used regularly here at home. I got a Classic 1 synthetic in a trade for a couple pucks of vintage Williams' soap (how timely a reference!) and I now use it for travel, though I don't really care for it. The Classic 1 in two band is simply too tight and stiff. Perhaps I never gave it a chance-- if I were to use it a few dozen times it might loosen or open up, but I haven't done that. I think I used it 2 or 3 times and moved on.

How does that work with Pure? I have an Eagle G3 that is fantastic. The Beagle while G2 size is a Shavemac 2-Band and doesn’t count.

So is the G1 in Pure an expensive Special S1 or something different and enjoyable?

Indeed. My Classic 1 in Best is a fantastic little brush. I originally bought it as a travel brush but it gets used regularly here at home. I got a Classic 1 synthetic in a trade for a couple pucks of vintage Williams' soap (how timely a reference!) and I now use it for travel, though I don't really care for it. The Classic 1 in two band is simply too tight and stiff. Perhaps I never gave it a chance-- if I were to use it a few dozen times it might loosen or open up, but I haven't done that. I think I used it 2 or 3 times and moved on.
How does that work with Pure through the sizes? I have an Eagle G3 that is fantastic. The Beagle while G2 size is a Shavemac 2-Band and doesn’t count.

So is the G1 in Pure an expensive Special S1 or something different and enjoyable?

Owen Bawn

I only have the G2 and G3 in Pure. There's something about the qualities of Pure in terms of thickness and stiffness of the hairs and the size of the knot that brings the G3 close to perfection. It more than compensates for any minor annoyance I may have had with the scritch and prickle, which I actually eventually came to enjoy. I don't know about the G1, as I've never used it. It seems to me the Eagle knots compare fairly evenly to the Dukes of the same size.

So you like the Classic 1 Synthetic more than the Classic 1 Silvertip? Wow. That Silvertip must me one crappy brush. I absolutely loathe my Classic Synth. It is an abomination to the Simpson name. Too harsh? Ok, I just really, really, really don’t like that brush.

I own a Classic 2 in best that is one excellent brush. I tend to forget I own it though. I used it as a travel brush before COVID and re-found it a few months back at the bottom of my DOPP bag. Yup, too many Simpsons and brushes in general.

The difference between your Classic 1 in Best vs Silvertip, compared to the Duke 3 in the same grades is astonishing. Is the Silvertip Classic 1 difficult to splay?
Not really. It might have not been used yet in that photo. I just wanted to show some side by side comparisons of the two brushes. It does feel much smaller than the same brush in Best.

After 10 years of not buying any brushes I’m looking at getting a new one (thank you Badger and Blade). I’m looking at a Duke 3 or a Chubby 2 any insight on the differences between the two shapes? I’m still undecided on the knot as well so suggestions are appreciated.

v/r
I have two Simpson brushes Commodore Best Badger X2 and Simpson Persian Jar Super Badger and love them both.
You cannot go wrong with the Simpson brand IMHO.

I've got an older Emperor 2 in Two Band Super, and for me, it's the Holy Grail of brushes. My next brush may just be an E2 in Manchurian.
That said, the Chubby is legendary. But, if I was to choose between the two, it would be a Duke. And, I own a Chubby 2 and Duke 3.

Edit... If I had it to do all over again, I'd go for a Duke 2 over a Duke 3.

I have the CH2 and the Duke 3. There is nothing like a Chubby. The Duke is a good brush. I think asking which one to choose is a false choice. It depends on what experience you’re after. They are totally different.

Top Bottom