What's new

Simpsons Duke 3 or Chubby 2

After 10 years of not buying any brushes I’m looking at getting a new one (thank you Badger and Blade). I’m looking at a Duke 3 or a Chubby 2 any insight on the differences between the two shapes? I’m still undecided on the knot as well so suggestions are appreciated.

v/r

F6745FB5-7593-4606-8BAA-9A393101BA37.jpeg
FDFB9A44-A6A4-499B-BB82-FE4D58A4BB51.jpeg

I wouldn’t want a shorter handle than the Duke 3 for such a knot but many people love their Chubbies…

linty1

My wallet cries.
Mm.. the chubby is certainly a lovely brush, the Duke 3, while versatile, for me is unremarkable/Dull/plain. Nothing against it, its certainly a good brush, I find myself not reaching for it much these days.

What are you looking for? what brush are you currently using? What do you like/not like about it?

I’ve been using a Simpsons Commodore x3 in best 80% of the time, a Simpsons Major when I travel for work both in Best Badger. The other 20% of the time use vintage brushes or a Semogue boar.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have a Duke 3 and a Chubby 1 both in Manchurian and the knots are very similar in size, shape, density, and face feel. I owned, and sold a Chubby 2, this time in Super and it was massive, far too large for me and much larger than my Duke 3. Of course Super hair will splay and bloom much more than Manchurian. I love these two brushes 😁

dc.jpg

In the photo it looks like the Chubby 2 is a bit wider and shorter then the Duke.

I have a Chubby 2 in best that I’ve never used as I’ve been happy with the Commodore. But the could be my tendency to like fewer choices.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I have a Duke 2 in Best, Duke 3's in Best, Manchurian, and 2 band SiLVERTiP, as well as Chubby 1's in Best, Super, and Manchurian. Then I've got a Chubby 2 in both Best and Super. While I like owning the Chubby 2s they're just impractical for regular use. I always enjoy using them, but I only use them a few times a year. But the Chubby 1s and the Dukes hit the sweet spot for me. I love 'em.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I have a Duke 2 in Best, Duke 3's in Best, Manchurian, and 2 band SiLVERTiP, as well as Chubby 1's in Best, Super, and Manchurian. Then I've got a Chubby 2 in both Best and Super. While I like owning the Chubby 2s they're just impractical for regular use. I always enjoy using them, but I only use them a few times a year. But the Chubby 1s and the Dukes hit the sweet spot for me. I love 'em.

I recommend a Chubby 2. There’s an itchy in wet shaving that only a Chubby can scratch.

The Duke 3 is a fine brush, of course, but it’s also a middle of the road brush and there are many similar brushes out there.

The Chubby 2 in either Best or Super will provide a much better experience and make you feel like “a million bucks” every time you use it. I just don’t recommend the Chubby 2 in Manchurian. The knot is too dense and deeply set for this type of hair

Both are quite iconic brushes. A Duke 3 will be a bit taller, but not as wide as a Chubby 2, while the Chubby 2 will be a tad shorter, but have more girth to it. The density of the Chubby 2 will be greater than the Duke 3. This could be a good thing or a bad thing. Only you can decide it. The Chubby 2 in any form is going to be a lather hog, but the 2-band variants typically reduce this a bit. Manchurian was the best in terms of releasing lather, then 2-band Super, then Best, then 3-band Super. This is my observed dealings with them. I would say the safer bet would be a Duke 3. It isn't suffering from a lack of density. It seems a lot of people don't go for bigger brushes. I found them too much at first, but over 12 year's time I've gone from normal sized brushes to mammoth brushes and find the Chubby 2 a bare minimum for what I want. It's almost at this point the bigger the better. Don't take this to mean they are better mind you. It's just my personal preferences shifted to this and I've observed I can have periods where I shift back to a smaller brush for awhile. Depends on what my body and mind are in the mood for. I've learned my lesson to just keep the smaller ones around and the larger ones around for those times I want to use them.

Honestly for it, linty has it the best here in this thread and to quote linty, "What are you looking for? what brush are you currently using? What do you like/not like about it?" I understand where you are coming from and saying thanks to us here at B&B for making you want to buy as it can be quite a real thing. There's a good chance I didn't help with this showing all the Simpson brushes I have just in Simpson. There's a lot of stuff out there that's great though, especially stuff that doesn't get a lot of press. I should remedy that by posting reviews of the lesser known brushes. One tip if you're okay with it, try hitting up BST for deals if you feel okay with that. Some feel squeamish about used brushes so not sure where you're at with it. You can find some excellent deals though. I remember buying a used Key Hole 4 for like 50 dollars off the top of my hat, and that was a wonderful deal. Still works great to this day.

Top Bottom