What's new

Simpson's different shade of ivory

I recently purchased a Simpson Keyhole 4 brush that has a slightly darker yellow shade of ivory handle than my other Simpson brushes. What I find interesting is looking at the bottom of the handle you can see a 4mm ring all around the outer perimeter showing this darker yellow but the rest of the bottom is the normal ivory color. I'm really curious if anyone is familiar how this is done.

When I first received the brush I thought they used a different colored bar stock, but now that doesn't appear to be the case. Does anyone know how this is done?

I recently purchased a Simpson Keyhole 4 brush that has a slightly darker yellow shade of ivory handle than my other Simpson brushes. What I find interesting is looking at the bottom of the handle you can see a 4mm ring all around the outer perimeter showing this darker yellow but the rest of the bottom is the normal ivory color. I'm really curious if anyone is familiar how this is done.

When I first received the brush I thought they used a different colored bar stock, but now that doesn't appear to be the case. Does anyone know how this is done?
Any chance of a pic?I've got 7 simpsons and one of them is a slightly darker colour ivory than the rest of them.I was wondering the same thing myself.Simpsons are great at aftercare you'll probably get a message on here if they see it.They messaged me once over something i put on here.Can't quite remember what it was but i think it was the grandson of Mr Simpson himself.There's people on here that will know more than me anyway.

Sometimes they use old stock rods that darkened with time. The Keyhole 4 is probably a slow mover, for sure not the best selling Simpson’s, so maybe the handle was sitting for a while waiting to be used

Most people would be happy with it, as it makes your brush a little rarer than average

I remember when the superior shave used to sell Simpson brushes and post the line ups, occasionally you would see a darkened handle and he would charge more for it

Sometimes they use old stock rods that darkened with time. The Keyhole 4 is probably a slow mover, for sure not the best selling Simpson’s, so maybe the handle was sitting for a while waiting to be used

Most people would be happy with it, as it makes your brush a little rarer than average

I remember when the superior shave used to sell Simpson brushes and post the line ups, occasionally you would see a darkened handle and he would charge more for it
Please understand I'm not at all unhappy with the color. I just had not seen this before.

Great explanation! Hope you post a picture.

I don’t own one of the darkened handles, but Here’s what I found online, you can see different hues, exactly in the KH models

1633273620831.png

I’m not familiar with the current Simpson line up. The older Somerset brushes often came in a resin with a distinctive “rose” tint to the base yellow-white color. As far as I know the resin was the same color throughout. I don’t recall any discussion about 2-band handles. It’s a nice development. One more quirky detail of handmade brushes. I can just see a Duke 1 with a 2-band handle and 3-band knot.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Could someone give me the steps for posting a picture? I'm not that good on a computer and could use the help.
When make a new post, there is an option below where you type to "Attach Files".
Click on it and then you can upload a picture from your computer. It is pretty simple actually.

Reactions: bjm
I might be able to help with the photo. My recently acquired KH4 (from Amazon/Alirosa) has a similar thing going on.
CAFB8618-26E8-40E7-84A0-59FC537AF441.jpeg

3F3AD5B3-CBD9-4F50-A44F-9E87B622B66A.jpeg

On the bottom, the periphery is ever so slightly darker than the center. Reminds me of how a cut stick of butter left in the fridge sometimes has a darker rim around a lighter center.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I might be able to help with the photo. My recently acquired KH4 (from Amazon/Alirosa) has a similar thing going on.
View attachment 1339792
View attachment 1339794
On the bottom, the periphery is ever so slightly darker than the center. Reminds me of how a cut stick of butter left in the fridge sometimes has a darker rim around a lighter center.
Odd, but looking at the KH, I also see very slightly lighter color on the very top where the hair comes out as well as in the middle at the narrowest part. Could be lighting, but the other handle do not show this. It is really hard to see, but it looks like it. The placing would coincide with the size of the rod material at the various spots.

Odd, but looking at the KH, I also see very slightly lighter color on the very top where the hair comes out as well as in the middle at the narrowest part. Could be lighting, but the other handle do not show this. It is really hard to see, but it looks like it. The placing would coincide with the size of the rod material at the various spots.
No, I think your eyesight must be very good. In person it does get a touch lighter at the spots you mention. Perhaps it was this rod that had aged a bit before they carved the handle?

Top Bottom