What's new

Simpsons Colonel

Since I started using Simpsons brushes, I purchased Chubbies and Dukes and in both best and super badger. I now have 10 Simpsons and do not see myself aquiring more! The thing is, the least expensive of them all is the Colonel X2L. I've always wondered what the reason for this was, and I've heard everything from Simpsons desire to provide military personnel with more affordable brushes, to Simpsons pricing their brushes according to how much badger hair they stuff into the knot. Regardless, this brush is one of my favorites. I find myself reaching for it more and more, especially when I want to build a lather in a bowl. It seems every bit as dense to me as the Duke 3, maybe it's not but it is certainly dense enough to provide a great lather. If anyone who reads this is on the fence about a Simpson brush due to the cost, I can wholeheartedly recommend springing the the Colonel. I don't think anyone would be disappointed!

Thanks for the tip, I've been contemplating a new brush this year. Do any of your Simpson brushes shed? I find it hard to believe that there is such a thing as a brush that doesn't shed any hair.

Thanks for the tip. I was put off Simpson’s after two consecutive Duke 3’s shed profusely. Maybe the Colonel will restore my damaged faith.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have two Simpsons Chubby 2 brushes, one each in best and super. They shed hairs occasionally, but I'm told that due to the amount of hair in Chubbies that is not unusual. My other Simpson brushes rarely shed any hairs at all. My Colonel has never shed any hair that I know of, but that doesn't necessarily mean that another Colonel wouldn't. I have a Duke 2 and a Duke 3, and they do not shed. I think my Duke 2 shed one hair when I used it yesterday, but that is unusual. Like I say, some brushes will shed, and other brushes of the same model may not.

I had a Colonel for a couple months but it started shedding so bad I returned it. Their QC seems hit and miss.

love my simpsons, essentially perfect all-around shave brushes!

simpson brushes.jpg

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I wholeheartedly love all my Simpsons and, although the Chubby and Duke Series are my favourite, the Colonel is not that far behind! Also, I believe it's the best value Simpson brush in their magnificent range.

I also have a Colonel X2L, and it sheds badly. it's actually my second, as WCS replaced my first one, which was also a shedder. :( Currently I use a Maggards 24 mm synthetic, with the purple/ white swirl handle. Awesome brush, and better than the Simpson. For $12, its a stunning value.

Great brush. Good value. Gets lots of use (~5 yrs) but is still looking brand new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I wholeheartedly love all my Simpsons and, although the Chubby and Duke Series are my favourite, the Colonel is not that far behind! Also, I believe it's the best value Simpson brush in their magnificent range.

In addition to the above, I'd also like to point out that the Colonel is a great introductory brush to other Simpsons with long handles and denser knots like the Polo, Persian Jar and Fifty Series.

Since I started using Simpsons brushes, I purchased Chubbies and Dukes and in both best and super badger. I now have 10 Simpsons and do not see myself aquiring more! The thing is, the least expensive of them all is the Colonel X2L. I've always wondered what the reason for this was, and I've heard everything from Simpsons desire to provide military personnel with more affordable brushes, to Simpsons pricing their brushes according to how much badger hair they stuff into the knot. Regardless, this brush is one of my favorites. I find myself reaching for it more and more, especially when I want to build a lather in a bowl. It seems every bit as dense to me as the Duke 3, maybe it's not but it is certainly dense enough to provide a great lather. If anyone who reads this is on the fence about a Simpson brush due to the cost, I can wholeheartedly recommend springing the the Colonel. I don't think anyone would be disappointed!

+1! The Colonel is an excellent option!

WAS thinking of getting a Stirling brush for bowl lathering but may just keep it Simpson and get the Colonel now.

A large number of Best Badgers Simpsons have passed through my den. I think the Stirling 2Band Finest Badger is a much better value than a BB Simpson both in price and performance.

I have had a Colonel for a very long time. Probably the best all-around brush I own. Hasn’t shed but maybe 4-5 hairs that entire time. It is a fine bowl lathering brush.

Just ordered a Simpsons S1 Best Badger..... it'll be my first venture into Badger territory. Been using a Boar bristle since I started using a straight razor a few months ago. Looking forward to it!

I just got my first Simpsons today a 59 in Best Badger. Can't wait to give it a go...

That sounds like a big brush! Let us know how you like it. I have the 57 and everytime I use it I wonder why the Duke series are more popular that the fifties. I also have the 56 that I use for smaller pucks and as a travel brush.

It is a big brush but it feels so comfortable in the hand and looks amazing. Will give it a go on the weekend shave with my new Merkur 39C...LOL. I like the size of the 56 but as I mentioned this is my first Simpsons and I like the size of the Chubby 1...they sure don't make it easy do they! No wonder guys collect so many of them! Had to run out of the store! Then I get home with the spoils and SWMBO says..."why didn't you get the Chubby one too?...you were there"...

Top Bottom